Hey D, so what's been happening with you?

• Member Contributer

Well, got my paperwork for the DMV ready to go, next the Dr. will need to do his part and then DMV should be getting a hold of me to have a discussion. So what happened in the mean time? This little bird followed me home on Saturday. Yeah, I need another bike, like I need a hole in the head, oh wait, I already got one of those back in January! The hole, not the bike 😉

Actually been a bike I've been wanting to get for some time now so I decided to grab one when the opportunity struck. So Saturday the owner rode up from San Diego, met me at a mall parking lot right off the freeway, I gave it the once over, took a little spin in the parking lot and then bought it. Talked him down a few hundred, because there were some bits that needed attention and he was aware of them so we split the difference between my offer and his listed price. Until I can legally ride again, I did need a new project, so this one became that project!

Any Hawk Owners here on the forum?

IMG_8068.JPEG

• Like 8

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Any Hawk Owners here on the forum?

Hell yeah.

PXL_20220821_000032012.thumb.jpg.4adc1c5fca16bb574937867085263a36.jpg

Spindle modified for VFR rear wheel (94-97).  I wanted a 5.0" on this bike, not 5.5.

Modified CB-1 Rt Fork Lower for dual Hawk discs (yes overkill, I wanted that look)

F3 Master and Calipers with braided lines

1991 VFR 3.5" front wheel

Full D&D exhaust

RT springs and GVE

YSS Shock

WWR License Plate Bracket

My rearset adapters and headlight relocation plates (so cowl could be where I wanted)

F2/F3 Bars

PXL_20220823_133026042.thumb.jpg.c8f56897ca5f6d948306633f16b8fe02.jpg

I moved a bunch of stuff around to clean up the area around the rear shock./ swingarm.

The "Mod" portion is mostly done.  The "Resto" is next over one of these winters.

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

Nice work Capt.! I have a set of VTR 1000 forks, triple clamp and just acquired a set of calipers and fender from a friends VTR 1000. One of the receipts the seller had was from the prior owner. The bike looks to have a Hyperpro 460 rear shock, and the specification reads rider weight at 240 lbs.! Aggressive street riding. When I saw the receipt he posted online I was expecting this huge Marine to show up on this little bike, although he is a Marine, he was smaller and shorter than I am.

Definitely going to have both front and rear suspension done up for my weight and riding type. I'm pretty sure this will be a keeper bike, so may have to change my screen name to "Duc2V4-v2" 😉 

As for rear wheel, I do have a few, but all of them are the 5.5" wheels. May look for the VFR400 8 spoke, but like the 750 8 Spoke, they're probably going to be hard to acquire. As for front wheel, I do have a 5/6 Gen front wheel I might look at fitting with the new fork setup, since I have the wheel already.

In terms of the stock wheels, do you know what's the widest rear tire you can put on? and for that matter, the front as well? I would assume the front can run a 120/70-17, yes?

I joined the Hawk forum but I've not been cleared to post anything just yet, waiting for admins to approve me.

• Member Contributer

Thanks!!

Pretty sure the 5th/6th front wheel has the discs spread too far apart for the VTR1000F front end.  I have a VTR1000F front wheel on my VF1000R in the stock clamps and it fits perfect.  I know the 98- VFR triples have a wider spread.

People do put 120s on the stock wheel, but I don't agree with that.  It's only a 2.5" wheel!  A 110/70 isn't even ideal.  Lots of opinions on that one, you will find out.  The rear wheel can handle a 160, pretty sure stock is 4.5"(?).  If the front was even just a 3.0" wheel (like my CB-1), I probably wouldn't of even bothered.  But I'm glad I did, cuz I can't stand the stock wheels.

Lots of 8 spoke wheels on Hawks, but I wanted to run a 160/60-17 on mine.  Oh. and I think the VFR400 8 spokes are 18"(?).

They are a super fun bike to mod, they respond very favorably.

Congrats!  Looks like yours has some cool stuff already.  I even think you have the WWR license plate bracket.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Wow guys, two great looking bikes.

No Hawk, but I've got a Honda v-twin! Always loved the pure simplicity of the Hawk, great sound also--yes, like the SV. Endlessly modifiable!

By coincidence, about 90 minutes ago I was leaving my RC at my local independent shop and spotted a very nice Ascot sitting there, immediately thought of the Hawk and what a great 3rd bike it would be...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

awesome Hawks gents! I have always wanted one of these. I have a buddy who races one in USCRA, such cool machines. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, adkfinn said:

awesome Hawks gents! I have always wanted one of these. I have a buddy who races one in USCRA, such cool machines. 

Yeah, me too. Had to grab one before it became a "Wish I would have bought one of those" moment. Having gone through the seizures and brain surgery, I felt no better time than now, I may call it my "reboot" bike, as I feel my life did get a reboot.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, slo1 said:

Hawks.... So many Hawks.... 

Hawk1stone.thumb.jpg.5c6a5856f20eb8601e1943356780bc25.jpgSawaHawk(5).thumb.jpg.84585ec22538608966a71b44861052b4.jpg

Slo, what rear wheel is that 8 spoke from? Is that from a VFR400?

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Andy72210 said:

Me too...I have this one for the last 10yrs.image.thumb.jpeg.d902a062b08e690750e7f8127bb078f4.jpeg

And another blue one, in pieces right now, since 1992.

Also have an 01 VTR1000, with light mods.

Same question for you Andy, what rear wheel is that from?

• Member Contributer

Love the white. Curious styling. What's the rear seat cover from? 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Andy72210 said:

Me too...I have this one for the last 10yrs.image.thumb.jpeg.d902a062b08e690750e7f8127bb078f4.jpeg

And another blue one, in pieces right now, since 1992.

Also have an 01 VTR1000, with light mods.

If the garage door handle is in the center, that's a big ass garage door.

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Slo, what rear wheel is that 8 spoke from? Is that from a VFR400?

Yes. They are 4.5x18 which is a pain for tire choice. Angel GT is about the best option.

• Like 1

To answer the FAQ:

Capt - The handle is on the left of the door...it's a 2 car, but NO cars in there now (but 3 Hondas).

Bmart - not sure if "curious styling" is a compliment or not? The white matches my brother's 1987 VFR almost perfectly? I have more white bodywork with gold emblems...working on gold wheels for it currently.

The Hawk's seat cover is from a Hawk Forum member in Europe...his name is Fabian, although I often use a Corbin with white piping instead. BTW, motor is modded 70hp, emulated forks, Fox shock & F3 front; he rips up the AR backroads.

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Andy72210 said:

To answer the FAQ:

Capt - The handle is on the left of the door...it's a 2 car, but NO cars in there now (but 3 Hondas).

Bmart - not sure if "curious styling" is a compliment or not? The white matches my brother's 1987 VFR almost perfectly? I have more white bodywork with gold emblems...working on gold wheels for it currently.

The Hawk's seat cover is from a Hawk Forum member in Europe...his name is Fabian, although I often use a Corbin with white piping instead. BTW, motor is modded 70hp, emulated forks, Fox shock & F3 front; he rips up the AR backroads.

I bet you wish the handle was on the center of the door!

I like the white for sure.  Always have.

REsize.thumb.jpg.fbf996196166763a425d15967275af98.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 7/14/2023 at 11:45 AM, Andy72210 said:

Hey Slo,

Is that an F3 front on the grey one? IF so, what you using for a speedo?

Nope, F2 wheel with only 1 rotor. Hawk forks with F3 internals, done by the PO

Slo...after a closer exam, I see that now. Had thought about F3 internals, but it was already emulated & working well, so no extra $.

Cap...actually got a new door a few months after the pic was taken with a central handle. And, his VFR looks nearly exact to your pic, except his has a custom exhaust, Sargent seat, F3 rear wheel and CB1 front end with F3 wheel. Rides nicer than my 97 VFR, but not quite as nice as the Hawk. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...