Hello everyone,

I know this is a VFR forum, but I am hoping I can impose a little bit and get some help with my decision-making problem.

I sold a 25th anniversary VFR about 6 months ago and picked up a used Wee-Strom. I've been riding that around Austin, TX for commuting and out in the country on some mild off-pavement "adventure" rides. The Strom is good in some ways, but lacking in suspension and excitement. I also have a WR250R for dirt and hooning around.

Lately I've been missing the VFR. I'm told this is normal. :unsure:

The biggest reason I sold the VFR was that in my middle age the body position was tiring. I think with some core work I may be able to handle it again. Unsure. I've been reading a lot about the seventh gen and it would tick many boxes for me. Used ones seem to be a great value considering the engineering and quality. I've also been looking at the Yamaha FJ-09. It's fast but more of an upright position. Versus the VFR it's not as refined, no shaft drive, and has less wind protection - but more comfortable and lighter.

I'm looking for a bike for city commuting, a couple track days, day trips, and the occasional multi-day trip with some slab. Thoughts? Advice? GTFO?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

There's nothing like a test ride to assess ergo's. My guess is that once you feel the power and torque of the 1200 it will be irresistible. If you're commuting, shaft drive would also be very nice to have.

As a middle aged rider...50 is the new 70, I added Heli-bars (helped) and a V-stream windscreen (much noisier than the stock). It's heavy pushing around parking lots, but the best bike I've owned. The next will probably be the Neowing.

Not sure why you are comparing these two bikes. Not a lot in common, other than both being loosely categorized as sport touring bikes. Kinda like asking whether a RAV4 or a Cayenne would be a better car for you. You should at least nail down a more specific type and size you prefer, before asking the collective.

i must be weird, but i find my VFR12 to be much more comfortable than my Valkyrie, even after changing to a shorter handlebar,...wish i could put some rear sets on it !!...... and i'm 56

I've got an MT09, the proper name for the fz09. So not ridden the tracer, which is the real name for the FJ09. I also have a 5th gen streetfighter.

Anyway....

The MT/FZ is perfect for lane splitting, day trips, fast mountain roads, multi day trips- I've done 3000 ks in a weekend on one. Haven't done any track days on it, but that's because it's technically my bosses bike- my company vehicle.

Shitty standard suspension, but easy to fix. The FJ is supposed to have better damping, but I haven't ridden one to be sure.

I reckon the FZ/FJ with proper suspension would be awesome for your needs. I prefer the lighter naked version, but take one of each for a spin, the triple cylinder motor is fantastic.

Although the sump plug is pretty close to the ground for any light off-road work- a few reports of people cracking the pan, but I think the soft suspension also makes it sit lower than intended.

My has proper suspension, and I've done say, 15 ks of hard packed dirt roads 2 up to a look out or whatever, no probs.

I just recently swapped my FJ-09 for a VFR 1200.

Two very different bikes, but both are great!

In comparing the two, I would say that:

1. Wind protection/noise is better on the VFR (wind noise was the thing that bothered me the most on the FJ-09)
  2. Seat comfort is better on the VFR, although both are hard, the VFR's is wider, and for me at least, more ergonomic (yes, I have a fat ass =P)
  3. Shaft drive on the VFR, it is just soooooooo nice not to have to worry about cleaning the chain.
  4. Gearbox on the VFR (I test drove the manual one) is smoother, shifting is a breeze compared to the Yamaha
  5. The engine is great for both, of course you have a bigger punch on the VFR due to the engine size, but the Yamaha triple engine is the thing I will miss the most about that bike...
  6. Better gas mileage on the FJ (45mpg against 38 on the VFR)
  7. And the obvious: seating position is upright on the FJ, which most prefer as being more comfortable (I am weird, so i find the seating position on the VFR better)

This is one guy's opinion though, like others have said, try to test drive all your options and then make a decision. Don't do it like I did, and buy based on research alone. If I had test driven the VFR prior to buying the FJ, I would not have spent the extra 2500 dollars on the FJ.

Good luck on your decision!

<snip>

This is great information, thank you. It's awesome that you had both bikes.

I completed a short test ride on an FJ and and then an FZ. I am working on finding a VFR to ride (lunch is on me for someone near Austin). @RogerATL How would you compare the vibration levels between the two engines? I found the FJ to be pretty buzzy.

• Member Contributer

One of the larger gripes most folks seem to have with the VFR1200 is its sewing machine engine sound.

I'm guessing here, but I would suspect that is a good indicator of the engine being smooth.

It is just a guess, though...

:smile2:

<snip>

This is great information, thank you. It's awesome that you had both bikes.

I completed a short test ride on an FJ and and then an FZ. I am working on finding a VFR to ride (lunch is on me for someone near Austin). @RogerATL How would you compare the vibration levels between the two engines? I found the FJ to be pretty buzzy.

Ah yes, forgot about that. The FJ is indeed a little buzzy. Not too much when riding in the mountains, but when cruising, it makes my hands numb. I tried those grip puppies on it, which did help a little bit, but I did not like how fat the grips were with it.

On the VFR there is way less vibrations, not as smooth as an inline 4, but considerably less than the FJ. Another thing is that while cruising at 70-80 MPH, the engine is on a much lower RPM on the VFR, the FJ has a pretty short gear ratio, which contributes to the hands numbness on the highway.

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

I am 65 years old on a VFR1200 2013 with Helibars and lowered foot pegs. Very comfortable for me as modified. Pre-modification, not so much, especially for longer rides. Good wind protection (for me, anyway) and the bike carries weight nicely even at slower speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a friend who purchased a 2015 MT-09 (FJ-09) Tracer and he's very happy with it. I rode it briefly and my experiences mirror others' here. It's a bit buzzy (though I'd say the 1200F isn't as smooth as the 800), very comfortable, light, and quite fast. We did a few roll-ons once he was done with the running-in period, and even though I left him behind every time, it wasn't a big gap as I thought it would be. VFR's brakes are a lot sharper than the FJ's and it's a lot torquier at the bottom end. I'd say the gas response is smoother on the FJ. Another plus that it's a quite a bit lighter than the VFR. The chain is smoother than the shaft on the VFR as well, during low speed riding, where the VFR's clunks a lot. As a result I feel the FJ's a better around town bike.

I'd still prefer the VFR though, I like the styling better, I like the more committed riding position (even though mine has the Helibars), and I love the gruff engine noise. I think the VFR needs more modifications before it reveals its true potential. The FJ much less so.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either one...

I own a VFR1200 and have ridden an FJ09 on the BRP for many miles and in stock condition I would say the FJ09 is a better bike. The motor on the FJ09 is fantastic, throttle response is linear, smooth shifting, good seat, relaxed riding position, low weight and the suspension is fairly well sorted from the start.

That being said I have adjustable pegs, Helibars, traxxion dynamics suspension and a Sargent seat on the VFR and with those mods I prefer the VFR.

As others noted about the only negative I noticed on the FJ was a little vibration in the handlebars at higher rpm's.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I test road the FJ-09 a few weeks ago after riding 300miles on the vfr to get there. i wasn't too impressed with the FJ, the seat was hard as hell, there was also a weird vibration at the bars that would drive me crazy. but it does have a nice punch (less than the vfr tho) the lower weight was nice too. the riding position is also nicer on the VFR imo, i like the sportier stance and i have a 2005 speed triple too which has a more upright position than the vfr and the FJ felt a bit weird. nice bike and for the price it is very tempting but after riding the VFR it felt like a downgrade.

• Member Contributer

I currently have a 2012 VFR, that replaced my 05' FZ1, because its a V-4 the engine noise, sensations ET AL are different, the FZ is admittedly more comfy than my VFR, as I have not made any seat/handlebar/rear set updates, but the motor, suspension, fitament, layout are much better on the VFR. The FZ was also much smoother but was a bit buzzy around 80 MPH, but as I said the engine sensation is much different.

• Member Contributer

After a year and a half, I sold my FZ-09 (same engine as the FJ-09) and bought a used VFR1200, because I missed the windscreen, two-up capability, and stability of my previous sport-touring bike (FZ1)--and I'd never experienced a V4.

The FZ-09 engine is indeed phenomenal and combined with the light weight will make you ride like a hooligan. But I just never truly loved the bike. I do love the VFR1200. I mounted a 45L topcase to hold my work backpack on the way to work and my Aerostich suit when I arrive, which is so convenient for commuting.

The FJ-09 seems more versatile in faux-adventure format. But I still don't think that I'd like the fueling, which was horrendous on the stock FZ-09 and I'm guessing still not perfect on the FJ-09.

The VFR1200 has a much more sport-oriented riding position that the FJ-09, which I like. But being 50+ myself, I mounted Helibars; and now it's a more gentle forward lean that provides both control and comfort.

Both bikes can do sport-touring duty. So it's a tough call. If I were going cross-country, I might take the FJ-09, because it's more upright. But I love everything about the VFR, except pushing it around the garage, which everyone seems to admit. I'm adjusting to that, though.

My FZ-09 (sold)

32_140622.jpg

My VFR

104_150823.jpg

Archived