Givi Or Kappa Tanklock Bag?

Belfry

• Member Contributer

I've decided to replace my 20-year-old tank bag with some of the funds the government kindly held for me last year ...

After much searching of the Interwebs, I think I'll try one of the new-fangled tanklock models. I was thinking Givi, but I'm not sure what's going on with their lines and/or stock. The bag everyone was writing about a year or two ago was the T480 but that appears to be out of production. It looks like it was replaced with the XS line. Of those, the XS306 seems a bit large, and the XS307 is not in stock in most places. That led me to the Kappa RA308, which appears to be comparable to the XS307 and uses the same Givi mounting hardware. A few reviews rate the Kappa more highly because of its shape and how the expansion is handled.

So ... questions: Does anyone have experience with these bags? What is your recommendation?

And for the Kappa--there don't appear to be many North American distributors. I did find one online called Tour & Ride--does anyone have experience with them? Their phone number appears to have a Nevada area code (775), but the only address I could find on the site (under Terms and Conditions) is in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Any help appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I bought a Givi 25 liter tanklock bag ($185) last summer and love it. It appears they still sell it.

Here is a link:

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system/xs306-xstream-25ltr-tankbag-detail

One downside to this bag: it has to be removed to fill the gas tank; I once left it on my pillion seat and drove off without fastening it. Noticed it was missing and went back to find it on the ground. Since then I've remembered to reattach it all the time.

• Member Contributer

I bought a Givi 25 liter tanklock bag ($185) last summer and love it. It appears they still sell it.

Here is a link:

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system/xs306-xstream-25ltr-tankbag-detail

One downside to this bag: it has to be removed to fill the gas tank; I once left it on my pillion seat and drove off without fastening it. Noticed it was missing and went back to find it on the ground. Since then I've remembered to reattach it all the time.

Thanks, Maxswell. That's the xs306 which does seem to be in stock in several online stores--I think I've seen it for $165. It looks a bit large to me, but if you don't find it too big on your 5th gen, that's a helpful data point.

I ordered my mounting kit for all my 5th gen luggage from Tour & Ride. I was pleased with them. Fast shipping and fair price. Check their facebook page for coupon codes!

• Member Contributer

I have used a Givi tanklok on my 1200 the last two years. Probably the single best piece of kit I've purchased. I absolutely love it.

The model I have now is the 2nd to largest they offer. I don't even touch it while riding. You can adjust the position on most models to make sure it's totally out of your way.

Enjoy!

*edit* got the XS 307 if you're wondering. Has a tablet/map holder that's easily detachable. Nice touch. Internal drawstring bag for keeping gear in place and has a waterproof cover.

See my latest gallery images if you want to look at a photo... Colorado Backroads album.

I found a used Givi 3D603 this year that my girlfriend has been using. She just wanted something for day rides and her magnetic Joe Rocket bag is kind of a pain to put on and take off all of the time.

Another board member was selling a Bags Connection (SW-Motech) that was basically brand new so I picked that up for me although it is a bit big for day trips. I may buy a smaller one for day trips and use the bigger one for multi-day trips.

Just so you know, Givi and Kappa are the same. The owner of Givi has his daughter run Kappa. Kinda like s Honda/Acura kinda thing.

I have the Kappa RA308 and am very happpy with its functionality and construction quality.

I sized it up against the equivalent Givi and decided it was better in most aspects. I can fit a surprisable amount of stuff in it although it doesn't allow you to fit an A4 folder/holder in without bending it slightly. My 14" laptop just squeezes into the opening... once in it's fine. It is really a day bag or a light overnighter when little or no extra clothes are needed, i.e. toiletries bag, laptop, first aid kit, pair of underpants, condoms, bottle of booze and little more.

It has convenient zipper-up-able extra volumen, whereby you gain around 4 cm in extra height. Often I find I need to open this up to fit stuff in like the laptop... once it's all in I can often zip it up at least half way round if not all the way, compressing the contents and thus making the bag more stable.

I ended up cutting off the safety strap that is meant to be wrapped around the steering head... as it just got in the way and the fixation mechanism is plenty sturdy enough.

The weather proof cover is transparent on top for visualizing the see-through map pocket on top... this thing is somewhat bulky and takes up around half of one of the "smallish) side pockets. I live in sunny southern Spain so often leave it at home to gain the extra room.

One thing I'd love to see on these bags are retractable backpack style straps, as you can fit quite a bit of weight in them and carrying them with the short strap for a lengthy period of time can be uncomfortable... not to mention that strapping it to your back would leave you with both hands free.

All in all it sure comes in Handy and I no longer have the Bagster tank-cover hiding my RC30 paint job.

Would also like to see them made with waterproof zips and materials so you don't need a rain cover.

More than that happening I'm more worried about leaving it on the bike after filling up and going into the service station building to pay... it doesn't lock on with a key or anything so anyone could nick off with it...

The moral of the story... keep an eye on it and your wits about you.

EDIT: The safety trap I cut off doubles as a shoulder strap but it is uncomfortable and digs into your shoulder and there is nowhere to roll the thing up and tuck it in... so I cut it off.

• Member Contributer

Many thanks for the excellent feedback gentlemen--you covered everything I asked about! :fing02:

Thanks, Timmy. I remember reading somewhere that Givi and Kappa were related companies (thus sharing parts like the mount for the tanklock bags), but I didn't realize they were related in the way that you pointed out.

Yokel, I was looking for an xs307 (looks good in the pics of your trip), but they seem to be out of stock in most places.

So, (thanks for the excellent response Auspanol), I decided to go for the Kappa RA308. And thanks to marriedman for verifying that Tour & Ride is a legitimate outfit.

I decided to pull the trigger on the tankbag and mount (from Motorcycle Superstore) this afternoon, before my minuscule tax refund disappears into general revenue. :laugh:

I'll try to remember to post a pic or two once everything arrives and I have time to mount and test the tankbag.

• Member Contributer

Take a look at the Southwest Motech bags as well...I have a Givi 308 tanklock system and wish I had found the SW bag first.

Nothing beats the GIVI tank lock. VERY easy on/off and its' very low profile and streamlined when the bag is off. It's also adjustable back and forth so you can tailor the bag's position to your liking. It's the best tank bag mounting I have ever had.

The XS307/308 are indeed large but it's a natural for the VFR's tank. It's great for carrying take out food! LOL! It has plenty of outside pockets too, which is nice. The quality is top notch though. The construction is also very robust and has a built in rain cover holder. It's the best sport-touring tank bag I have ever owned for the VFR. I will never go back to magnetic tank bags.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I thought I would report back with (many) photos now that the Kappa RA308 is mounted and I've used it a bit. Maybe my report will help others looking to buy or replace a tank bag. I still haven't taken a long day ride, but I don't expect any issues based on the performance so far. The usual disclaimers apply: I'm not affiliated with any of the companies or vendors ...
So, to recap, after some research and great feedback here I decided to go with a tanklock style bag. The Givis look good, but I was having trouble sourcing the smaller XS307, so instead I went with the Kappa RA308. I ordered from Tour & Ride, and as marriedman said, they shipped quickly and the correct item with all its parts. The bag was $116 USD (after a $13 discount), $37 less than the XS307. I ordered the locking ring from Motorcycle Superstore and they also shipped quickly and sent the right part.

Lside-1.jpg
The bag fresh out of the box on my utility room floor.

Rside-1.jpg

Top.jpg
Top view.

Tanklock.jpg
Locking ring mechanism. The mechanism works very smoothly and quietly with a slight click. I've left it in the
centre position for now as it gives a clear view of the dash but doesn't protrude too much into the 'cockpit.'

Notexpanded.jpg
Unexpanded.

Expanded.jpg
Expanded.

Pieces.jpg
All the pieces. The bag comes with a fluorescent rain cover, carry strap, safety strap
(front) and the locking ring. You have to buy the bike-specific inner ring separately
(bottom three items: plastic case, metal ring, three bolts) that holds the locking ring
to the gas cap replacing three of the OEM bolts. Givi must make them out of unobtainium,
the metal ring and three bolts are $15.99 USD.

rightside.jpg
The bag seems to fit the bike well and the locking mechanism is both secure and makes it easy to mount and
dismount the bag quickly.

safetystrap.jpg
I've left the safety strap attached for now, but may get rid of it as Auspanol did.

Fromseat.jpg
One minor gripe: The map pocket doesn't work without folding the map in ways it
wasn't meant to fold. My old tankbag was the same, it just required a different folding
technique. Is it really so hard to design a map pocket in the shape of a map?

Sidepocket.jpg
There is a good-sized front pocket that is mostly taken up by the rain cover. The two side pockets are pretty narrow
and don't expand much: They're okay for sunglasses, ear plugs, keys and the like.

ringside.jpg
The locking ring is really quite low profile on the bike, doesn't look too weird with the bag off, and doesn't interfere
with fuelling at all.

leftside.jpg
So far I'm very happy with the bag. It seems well constructed and the tanklock mechanism really does work well.
Thanks again to all who helped me research and purchase it. :beer:

• Member Contributer
Fromseat.jpg

One minor gripe: The map pocket doesn't work without folding the map in ways it

wasn't meant to fold. My old tankbag was the same, it just required a different folding

technique. Is it really so hard to design a map pocket in the shape of a map?

Well, to be fair to Kappa, maybe the map pocket is designed to fit the classic Michelin maps?

europe.gif

Or maybe they didn't bother measuring anything at all!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I have used the old T480 on my 5th and 6th gens. It looks like the 308 to me in many ways. No problem with fit for me on either bike. The bag is adjustable forward/ back to get the perfect fit. It can be adjusted in minutes, even on the road as long as you have a phillips screwdriver. I love this tank bag! It holds everything that I can throw at it and more.

For shorter around town trips, check out the 3D601. I use the older version and its great for holding a rain jacket, wallet, spare keys, cell phone, disc lock, etc. The nice thing about the tank lock is that you can switch the bags out instantly. And if you have more than one bike, just fit them all with the tanklock mounting hardware and you can switch bags back and forth between all of your bikes.

Like Yokel said, its one of the best purchases I have made, not just for the VFR but in all of my gear selection over the years!

• Member Contributer

Delta, I have been looking for the mount section that is attached to the bag to make mounts for my other bikes but cannot find them.

I already a few spare B-003 or whatever the Honda metal ring number is...where have you found spare mounts for yours?

Delta, I have been looking for the mount section that is attached to the bag to make mounts for my other bikes but cannot find them.

I already a few spare B-003 or whatever the Honda metal ring number is...where have you found spare mounts for yours?

The plastic part that mounts on the tank? This is where I got the one for Amy's bike for $8

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/givi-tank-lock-ring

• Member Contributer

I am glad that Ken knew...its been so long and been buying too many parts I could'nt remember!!!

• Member Contributer

Well, to be fair to Kappa, maybe the map pocket is designed to fit the classic Michelin maps?

europe.gif

To paraphrase Ed McMahon on the Tonight Show: "You are (probably) correct, sir!" :laugh:

I used one of those Michelin maps in Spain a few years ago. There's probably enough territory covered on one long 'panel' to navigate for a decent amount of time. The typical North American-sized road map of the sort sold in gas stations, stores and offered by AAA (or CAA in Canada), doesn't cover much ground on one panel since each is only about 4 x 9 inches. With my old tank bag I can bend, refold (and usually rip ...) maps so that two panels are visible--but the opening is smaller than the space inside the pocket so I also have to scrunch it up to get it in, then flatten it out again. I thought the Kappa would be superior because the map pocket zips all the way along one side so the opening is huge. But unless you're good at reading maps sideways while riding :blink:, it's not wide enough to fit two full panels across the window at 90 degrees--thus more folding, tearing and cursing is required.

I am glad that Ken knew...its been so long and been buying too many parts I could'nt remember!!!

Someone on the board posted the part number (I can't remember who). I just started looking and found most of the places had it for around the same price. Whitehorse Gear just happened to have the best shipping cost ($5). I hate paying $8 for a part and $12 for shipping.

• Member Contributer

To paraphrase Ed McMahon on the Tonight Show: "You are (probably) correct, sir!" :laugh:

I used one of those Michelin maps in Spain a few years ago. There's probably enough territory covered on one long 'panel' to navigate for a decent amount of time. The typical North American-sized road map of the sort sold in gas stations, stores and offered by AAA (or CAA in Canada), doesn't cover much ground on one panel since each is only about 4 x 9 inches. With my old tank bag I can bend, refold (and usually rip ...) maps so that two panels are visible--but the opening is smaller than the space inside the pocket so I also have to scrunch it up to get it in, then flatten it out again. I thought the Kappa would be superior because the map pocket zips all the way along one side so the opening is huge. But unless you're good at reading maps sideways while riding :blink:, it's not wide enough to fit two full panels across the window at 90 degrees--thus more folding, tearing and cursing is required.

Bummer, then. I guess even in the GWN you're stuck with fat, squat "Letter" size, rather than the elegant and sophisticated A4... However, I see that Michelin does make regional maps of the USA (and Canada, I presume), but nobody buys maps in North America!

Btw, when I use a tank bag I use Baglux tank covers and bags. The cover protects the tank and holds the quick-release bag.

Ciao,

Archived