Key Broke Off In My Givi Bag

timmythecop

As I was closing my right Givi E-28 saddlebag, I heard a tink-a-dink-a-diddle on the ground and saw the top half of the key. The bottom is still in the lock. Any idea how to get it out without destroying the lock (I have a second key)

Please help me.

• Member Contributer

tweezers from a swiss army knife. they are flat and very thin. :comp13:

if you have JUST enough room at the top of the broken blade. a drop of crazy glue on the broke part in your hand.. press in place.. and hold it.. and carefully pull out..

• Member Contributer

When my key broke I removed the case off the bike, flipped it over, and shooked the hell out of it, banged it on the floor ( not to hard ). I had my son hold it upside down and used the smallest, thinnest needle nose pliers I had and wiggled it to the point where I could pull it out.

• Member Contributer

Are you able to turn the broken-half-of-the-key to unlock the bag?

If you can remove the bag from the frame, then perhaps you can use a circlip plier to remove the lock from the saddlebag.

Once you have the lock off of the bag, then perhaps it would be easier to extract the key - or to take it to a locksmith who could do so.

Just a guess.

Good luck!

Ron

• Member Contributer

If you check to see if the part of the key you still have is ferrous (a magnet will stick to it) then you could try sticking a magnet to the top of the key hole and see if the key comes out just enough to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers. I have a mechanics telescopic magnetic pick up tool that a neodinium magnet in the end and I used it to pull the broken half of the key out of my garage door lock once. Key wouldn't come out all the way but it did come out just enough to grab the end.

• Member Contributer

This happened to me just over the summer with the E21 bag. I removed the locking mechanism from the hard bag and found it much easier to pry it out with a needle. If you turn it upside down it will just fall out as you poke at it from the side.

Thanks for the ideas. What made it worse was it was open until I used the top half to see if it would turn. It did. Now it is locked and won't turn.

........and attached to bike .............

• Member Contributer

As I was closing my right Givi E-28 saddlebag, I heard a tink-a-dink-a-diddle on the ground and saw the top half of the key. The bottom is still in the lock. Any idea how to get it out without destroying the lock (I have a second key)

Please help me.

Timmy--Consider yourself lucky it was tink-a-dink-a-diddle and NOT the dreaded tink-a-dink-a-diddle-a-dunk because you would really be screwed then. The latter would indicate that not enough key metal remained within the lock cylinder to grab hold of with the other useful suggestions offered. Whew. I'm relieved. Well...enough help for you then. Back to my beer.

• Member Contributer

Tim, is there enough of the key in the lock that you can use a screwdriver to turn the lock set and remove or open the bag? Once the lid is open, it won't be difficult to remove the lock set or use a finepoint scribe and remove the rest of the key from the tumbler.

• Member Contributer

this happened to me on the 6th gen. after much struggling and frustration , i called a locksmith and he had the key out in a few minutes with his special lock picking tools. triple a covered the cost.

If you end up going neanderthal on it, I will send you a replacement lock set.

I saw your reply to broken key, not my problem. I am trying to find replacement OEM bag left side , blue for 2007 VFR. Found 2 used , one with lock, one without. Can I buy one lock and rekey to existing? Should I buy bag w/lock and rekey tumblers to existing bag, or just buy lock set and replace both sets? Which of 3 options least expensive. TERRY

• Member Contributer

Please help me.

Hi Timmy,

Way back in the days of my youth, a friend got a broken key out of a fork lock by 'welding' a steel rod onto the stub.

IIRC, sharpen a welding rod/coat hanger, attach 12V jumper cables to the + and - bits, and hold everything together until well fused. Carefully extract broken key stub.

It was a while ago - maybe there was more to it...

Glenn

Archived