Rear brake pedal – is this bent?

Tarkus

Hey, I purchased a used 2007 model about six months ago. The rear brake pedal does not appear to be bent… there is a nice graceful curve that looks correct. However, it does seem to be very close in to the bike. I have attached a picture – how does this compare with yours?

- jon

A121FEF7-6A9A-4F4B-BA6D-B7A687A2FE37.jpeg

That definitely looks bent in to me.  The pedal should be pretty much perpendicular to the side of the bike.  The way that is, I'm surprised you can get much pressure on it for braking.  My old VFR's brake pedal looked similar to this after I dropped it on its right side once, before I installed R&G frame sliders.

To fix it I positioned a metal plate between the bike and the pedal arm, heated up the arm with a propane torch, and gently bent the arm back to its original shape.  (The plate was to keep anything else on the bike from heating up while I used the torch on the arm.)

• Member Contributer

Aluminum will bend many times before it breaks...

First apply heat like from a propane torch... a good sign its getting hot enough to bend is when spit sizzles around 212F...

Employ either a long handle wrench or tube to leverage the bend back to normal...

BentRearBrakeLever1.jpg

BentRearBrakeLever2.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tarkus said:

Thanks everybody! 

Hope this picture might give you a better idea of the pedal angle. From my 8gen however its the same pedal  used on the 6gen.

20210930_132203.jpg

Archived