Bent Front Wheel

Ziffer

• Member Contributer
On 8/28/2021 at 2:38 AM, gig said:

I have a lighter weight newly black powder coated CBR F4I front wheel and rotors that was on my bike last year, that are plug and play if needed.

Is this still available? All my local options fell through.

• Member Contributer

I'd like to comment on the wisdom of de-linking the machines' brakes. Motorcycle Consumer News used to publish used bike values a couple of times a year. At the end of those pages they published various "best" measurements, one of which was 60 - 0 braking distances. The VFR800fi had tied for 6th best at 108.something feet. Most motorcycle reviews consider 120 feet 60 - 0 a great result.

To achieve best performance braking one must use both front and rear brakes together. My local Honda mc shop mechanic pointed out that doing so regularly helped to evenly wear both ends so replacing pads front and rear at the same time becomes optimal.

Additionally, I learned at a local track's Advanced Rider Courses that linked brakes automatically produced trail braking; a good thing.

• Member Contributer
On 8/26/2021 at 2:20 PM, Terry said:

The simplest way to do that is to buy some VTR1000F Superhawk forks; use your VFR uppers and the VTR lowers and innards, that adds adjustable rebound damping and allows use of the Honda 4-piston brakes off CBR600, CBR929/954, SP1/2. This way you keep your stock geometry, bars, wheel/axle/discs. You can use the stock fender with some simple brackets to adapt. 

However...using stock damping parts and springs is missing the point, these need to be upgraded to some decent stuff like Racetech or DMr.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:30 AM, VFR750F3 said:

I did the SP2 calipers with a 19 radial for my VFR800.  Both my VFR800 and RC51 have the same calipers different master cylinders,  The RC51 has a convential 17mm master cylinder works very well.  The key is to use braided lines.  As for forks send them to Daugherty or buy some Andreani drop in cartridges or simply put the right springs in them with new oil and set the sag.  

On 8/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, Terry said:

I'm not exactly sure but I do know that F4i forks are compatible with the VFR800 wheel/axle so the disc diameter is common, as is the axle diameter, but I don't know about the disc spacing; that last bit is critical as it needs to broadly match the fork spacing. Easy enough to run a tape from disc to disc through the spokes to check. 

On 8/29/2021 at 8:30 AM, DannoXYZ said:

yes, measurements are important. F4i brake-rotor spacing is closer than F4/F3 due to less offset on rotors themselves. At some point, they changed 62mm bolt-circle to 58mm. Ran into these minor variations when looking for spare wheels for rain tyres on my track CBR600RR. I ended up using RR wheels due to them being several kg lighter than F4/F4i wheels.

Here's where to take measurents. If OP can measure his VFR wheel, we can match them up to other models easily.

C0865E33-E493-4A96-8800-59E7079B06B2.png

552E5ED5-CBFC-4C1A-A15B-DDE5AB94B34C.png

Also measure C-t-C distance between two rotor mounting bolts.

So, I ran across this chart: https://organ-donor.org/motorcycle-data/fork-tube-diameter-list/#tube41

It shows the 4th gen VFR and the VTR 1000 to have 41 mm fork tubes. And it shows the 5th/6th gen VFR and CBR-F4 to have 43 mm tubes. But when I measured mine (5th gen), I got 41 mm. Is the chart wrong? Or do I have 4th gen forks on my 5th gen?

• Member Contributer

5th gen has 41mm forks, chart left out 5th gen completely

41mm
  HONDA
    VFR-750F (90-97)

43mm
  HONDA
    VFR-750R (90)
    VFR-800/A “Interceptor/Interceptor ABS” (02-04)

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

5th gen has 41mm forks, chart left out 5th gen completely

Yeah, I see, I misread that. Thought it included the 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

So, I've been doing some studying...and I came up with this idea. I want to know if anyone has done this, and how it worked.

I have a 5th gen. I'm thinking about using triple trees and tubes from a 6th gen, with lowers from a cbr600f4i. And guts from...both???

I have never worked on forks, and don't know what's involved, but I have a leaking seal, need new brakes, and the weather just turned nasty. Time for an upgrade!

Edit:

Based on my research...

The gen 5 vfr has 41mm x 628mm tubes

The gen 6 vfr has 43mm x 628mm tubes

The cbr600f4i has 43mm x 587mm tubes

The gen 5 vfr has 120 mm of travel

The gen 6 vfr has 100 mm of travel

The cbr600f4i has 119 mm of travel

The cbr600f4i also has rebound adjustment and takes 4-piston calipers (and I want to de-link)

Edit 2:

For those who haven't done this, but are familiar with fork rebuilding/changing/upgrading, does this sound like it will work? Should I start buying parts and go for it? Or did I miss something?

• Member Contributer

You also need to consider the spacing between the forks/disks.  And which front fender you're going to use.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JZH said:

You also need to consider the spacing between the forks/disks.  And which front fender you're going to use.

Ciao,

JZH

According to what I've read, the 5th gen, 6th gen, and f4 (not f4i) wheels and rotors are interchangeable. I'll probably use an f4 fender, cuz it will bolt to the f4 lowers. I'm not a fan of the vfr fender.

• Member Contributer

I put together:

6G triples and bars

5G ignition/steering lock

CBR600F4i forks (uppers/lowers/innards)

CBR600F4i guard

5G wheel, discs and axle

CBR954 calipers

CBR600RR master

All fitted perfectly. I had to space the ignition down slightly with washers for the steering lock pin to mate with the frame socket.

IMG_4265.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Tirso said:

Sounds like you're doing similar to Terry:

Ha! beat me to it Tirso.

• Member Contributer
On 10/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, Tirso said:

Sounds like you're doing similar to Terry:

Ah...that thread leads into a couple others. Plenty of reading to do. Thanks!

• Member Contributer
On 10/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, Terry said:

I put together:

6G triples and bars

5G ignition/steering lock

CBR600F4i forks (uppers/lowers/innards)

CBR600F4i guard

5G wheel, discs and axle

CBR954 calipers

CBR600RR master

All fitted perfectly. I had to space the ignition down slightly with washers for the steering lock pin to mate with the frame socket.

IMG_4265.jpg

This isn't *quite* what I'm trying to do... But this might be an option. If I'm understanding it right, the f4i tubes are only 5mm shorter than the 5th/6th gen tubes. That's pretty insignificant.

On edit:

I hadn't even considered the steering lock. I just figured I'd deal with stuff like this as it came up. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit 2:

So, based on my research, f4 forks have 587mm tubes. The VFR800 (5th and 6th) has 628mm tubes. This is much more than a 5mm difference. Is the fork length difference made up somewhere else?

• Member Contributer

On October 10, 2019jkboyd said:

On my 5th gen I went with Jamie's recommendation and used 6th gen fork tubes with F4i lowers. I really like the setup. 

IMG_0616 (3).JPG

This is more what I'm trying to do. Now if only I knew who Jamie is...?

Edit: figured it out. Jamie is from DMr.

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, Ziffer said:

On October 10, 2019jkboyd said:

On my 5th gen I went with Jamie's recommendation and used 6th gen fork tubes with F4i lowers. I really like the setup. 

IMG_0616 (3).JPG

This is more what I'm trying to do. Now if only I knew who Jamie is...?

Jaime: https://daughertymotorsports.com/ 

Many VFRD readers (including me) have used him to set up our suspensions.

• Member Contributer
On 10/13/2021 at 8:13 PM, Tirso said:

Jaime: https://daughertymotorsports.com/ 

Many VFRD readers (including me) have used him to set up our suspensions.

+1 on Jaime suspension upgrades. Transformed my ride into nearly-telepathic control.

Archived