5th Gen Chain Adjustment Bolt!

RedMist

Hi everyone --

First-time poster; second-time 5th gen owner. I have an (easy) chain adjustment question!

I searched all over and couldn't find this information... it was quite a forum scour job across Google. I'm the kind of person who actually reads the aisle signs in grocery stores before I ask for help (novel concept!). That said, I cannot for the life of me remember how to loosen the rear swingarm pinch bolt that seems to be torqued on with the might of Hercules. I even went so far as to download the manual for the bike but even there they just say "Install the brake hose guide and rear axle bearing holder pinch bolt" (no direction given).

I've done chain jobs in the past (this is my second VFR), but I spent 5 years between ownership of both and thus forgot everything I learned! I'm assuming if you're looking from the top-down at the bolt head, it's clockwise (loosen); counter-clockwise (tighten). The issue here is not wanting to go in the wrong direction and damage something. Thus, can someone please inform my dumb-head self what the correct direction is (when working from the left side of the bike) so I can loosen the pinch bolt and adjust my floppy chain?

Thank you!

• Member Contributer

Nothing fancy there; loosen counterclockwise. If it is really stuck on, it would do no harm to apply some penetrating oil first.

• Member Contributer

Right hand thread, sounds like you were going the wrong way, so it will be good and tight now. As Terry suggested, penetrating oil (applied at the split so it gets into the thread) can't hurt. Beyond that some heat (again on the lower threaded portion) will expand the aluminum swingarm faster than the steel bolt. Sometimes a good rap with a brass or aluminum drift directly on the head of the bolt helps free up corrosion in the threads. For reinstall wire brush the threads and apply some anti-seize to prevent galvanic corrosion and torque to spec.

• Member Contributer

Hope you picked out Grum's exceedingly wise comment to use a 6-point socket, not a 12-point socket. 6-points are much less likely to round off a tight fastener.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, RedMist said:

I'm assuming if you're looking from the top-down at the bolt head, it's clockwise (loosen); counter-clockwise (tighten).

As my fellow members have said.......

You're bassackwards dude!

:beer:

On 9/26/2020 at 3:53 PM, Terry said:

Hope you picked out Grum's exceedingly wise comment to use a 6-point socket, not a 12-point socket. 6-points are much less likely to round off a tight fastener.

I managed to get it off no problem once I got myself turned around the correct direction. Now I'm looking at my chain and sprocket and thinking... hmm, this could use a replacement and a clean-up! Lots of grease gets thrown around everywhere with these single-sided arms. I can't imagine what the front sprocket chamber looks like... 😬

I now remember it like it was yesterday; and I also remember that these VFR's send you down a maintenance and "refresh" rabbit hole 😆 It started with a simple stator replacement!

• Member Contributer

Recommisioning a 4th gen, I removed 485 gramms of grease/grime from the front sprocket cover and area around the front sprocket.  Wear Marigolds is my advise...

IMG_20200726_122103.thumb.jpg.7d28c09940df724285226cad376bf302.jpg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Wear Marigolds is my advise...

You Dutch people are just crazy...how's that going to help?

Man wearing marigold in allotment garden — Stock Photo

On 9/29/2020 at 12:25 PM, Terry said:

You Dutch people are just crazy...how's that going to help?

Man wearing marigold in allotment garden — Stock Photo

Aerodynamics; although with the flower making one a bit "light-footed", rear-wheel traction can become an issue.... 😆

On 9/29/2020 at 8:48 AM, Dutchy said:

Recommisioning a 4th gen, I removed 485 gramms of grease/grime from the front sprocket cover and area around the front sprocket.  Wear Marigolds is my advise...

IMG_20200726_122103.thumb.jpg.7d28c09940df724285226cad376bf302.jpg

WOW! I bet that's what mine looks like. I have a clump of grease covering the swivel joint at the kickstand level. It's probably a sign of things to come...

Although thanks to working a side job for a cleaning company, I have access to these bad boys that are tough as nails...

SemperForce Nitrile Gloves Latex-Free Size Small Non ...

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, RedMist said:

WOW! I bet that's what mine looks like. I have a clump of grease covering the swivel joint at the kickstand level. It's probably a sign of things to come...

Although thanks to working a side job for a cleaning company, I have access to these bad boys that are tough as nails...

SemperForce Nitrile Gloves Latex-Free Size Small Non ...

These gloves: which mm thickness do you find sufficient?

19 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

These gloves: which mm thickness do you find sufficient?

Not sure of the MM of "thicc"-ness 😄 that they offer; however, the exact model in that picture is what I use whenever I'm on the job and doing projects around the house. They're hard to tear, unlike other weaker nitrile gloves I've used... even when digging and twisting out stubborn-rooted weeds in my driveway and sidewalk (those ones that dig down deep into the concrete and require force to extract the roots out of cracks and holes).

Company website is here: http://sempermedusa.com/products/semperforce

However, if you're looking for the ultimate in robust toughness, the crew at the municipal wastewater treatment plant office that I service uses this brand:

https://www.amazon.com/gloveworks-orange-nitrile/s?k=gloveworks+orange+nitrile

Archived