Water pump gasket

trmoyer

A few drops of coolant on the garage floor, a look under the fairing and the water pump was dripping a little. Hoped the my local Honda dealer had one as they fit a ton of bikes previously but no dice. The order will go in tomorrow and hope it arrives next Wednesday. 

Sort of bummed but it could be worse. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, trmoyer said:

...the water pump was dripping a little.

Sort of bummed but it could be worse. 

Indeed, it may still be worse. With a 20 year old engine the water pump shaft and/or seal may be the source of the leak. Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, Lorne said:

Indeed, it may still be worse. With a 20 year old engine the water pump shaft and/or seal may be the source of the leak. Keep us posted.

I’m hoping it stays with the cover gasket and not the rear side shaft seal. I pulled the pump / shaft assembly to check things out and everything felt and looked good. With just a tick over 20k miles on the clock I’m going to try and remain optimistic 🙂

• Member Contributer

No need to panic. A 6G or even 8G pump will fit, even if part numbers are different. 
I fitted a 6G pump on my 5G With no problem and I know someone fitted an 8G as well. 

14 hours ago, VFROZ said:

No need to panic. A 6G or even 8G pump will fit, even if part numbers are different. 
I fitted a 6G pump on my 5G With no problem and I know someone fitted an 8G as well. 

That’s good to know! I’m hoping I didn’t overlook the possibility that it could have been weeping out the inspection hole. I’ll find out soon enough I guess. 

I ordered the gasket and an o-ring. When I called my local dealer back to add the o-ring to add it to my order the parts guy was NO HELP. I told him what I had and looking for, no dice. He sent me a text showing what he was looking at, it was the part of the cooling system and thermostat housing portion. I sent him a screen shot showing the pump / side cover area and the Honda part number. He still couldn’t figure it out........ Sigh. So I went online and found a guy that’ll send me one in a few days. 

• Member Contributer

If that's leaking, the rest will follow. Time to replace ALL hoses, o-rings, t-stat, and gaskets. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, jdmtrinidad said:

If that's leaking, the rest will follow. Time to replace ALL hoses, o-rings, t-stat, and gaskets. 

Huh?

If it ain't broke..... 

YMMV

(Your Moneysupply May Vary :goofy:)

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Huh?

If it ain't broke..... 

YMMV

(Your Moneysupply May Vary :goofy:)

Yeah, I guess I have THAT boomer mentality. 

If it ain't broke........it will at the worst time.

If I remember right, it was around $250-300 for ALL parts including switches and sensors. 

• Member Contributer

"The worst time...".

What would that be?

Terrorists have set the timer on a dirty nuclear bomb and you are the one and only person who only has his VFR to get there on time to stop the clock?

Mail-in voting has been banned and your only mode of transport is your VFR to get to the polling station on time and your vote the critical one to oust The Donald? :goofy:

$300 is a set of tyres for that coast to coast ride.....

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

"The worst time...".

What would that be?

Terrorists have set the timer on a dirty nuclear bomb and you are the one and only person who only has his VFR to get there on time to stop the clock?

Mail-in voting has been banned and your only mode of transport is your VFR to get to the polling station on time and your vote the critical one to oust The Donald? :goofy:

$300 is a set of tyres for that coast to coast ride.....

Well, I guess it's just me. I prefer to stay ahead of maintenance. OCD. 

Maybe go for a ride, hose/o-ring blows, then call for a tow if no friends available. $ for that equals the cost of parts. 

Apologize if I gave "fake news", jeez. 🙄

It's been a long time since I've seen a hose burst unless something was ridden/driving while overheating.  What are some of the cooling related parts that people have seen fail that have ended in a tow?  My T-stat failed open.  Annoying but not a "down gripe."

I'm really impressed with the quality of the rubber parts on cars and bikes in the last 20 years.  Fuel lines in the 80's however...

If I was still in my old job I’d say yeah let’s go through it all replacing everything but I don’t have the disposable income that I used to have. Not saying it’s totally a off the chart to replace these items but I do have a bit of a budget crunch with this bike. If something is suspect then I’ll go for it. Otherwise for a 21 year old bike with 20k miles she’s doing alright. 

No harm done as I’m always open to suggestions and advise. 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, jdmtrinidad said:

Well, I guess it's just me. I prefer to stay  

Apologize if I gave "fake news", . 🙄

No need to apologise, each to his own :beer:

I'll be floored if this isn't a bad water pump weeping as typical.  Maybe due to lack of cooling system maintenance.  Please check the coolant voltage before draining, if you can.

14 hours ago, JoelF said:

I'll be floored if this isn't a bad water pump weeping as typical.  Maybe due to lack of cooling system maintenance.  Please check the coolant voltage before draining, if you can.

Very well could have been weeping from the insp hole. I didn’t look close enough before removing the cover and pulling the pump. The gasket I’d ordered hasn’t arrived at the dealer yet but I did get a new o-ring. I’ll put things back together after getting the cover gasket and see before ordering a pump. I see on bikebandit they are $148 which isn’t to bad. 

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, trmoyer said:

Very well could have been weeping from the insp hole. I didn’t look close enough before removing the cover and pulling the pump. The gasket I’d ordered hasn’t arrived at the dealer yet but I did get a new o-ring. I’ll put things back together after getting the cover gasket and see before ordering a pump. I see on bikebandit they are $148 which isn’t to bad. 

Don't mess with it, fit a new one. Even though your bike may have low mileage the pump has been sat in the engine coolant for 22 years. For around $150, just fit a nice new one its your best investment, you'll be right for another 20years!

Cheers :beer:

20 hours ago, Grum said:

Don't mess with it, fit a new one. Even though your bike may have low mileage the pump has been sat in the engine coolant for 22 years. For around $150, just fit a nice new one its your best investment, you'll be right for another 20years!

Cheers :beer:

Sigh........ Yes, you guys won the pool on this, bad mechanical seal weeping out the inspection hole after fitting gasket, O-ring and refilling with coolant. Wanted to get a pump from bikebandit for 150 but the lead time is 1-2 weeks. Paid a little extra and getting one from partzilla, should be here mid to late next week. 

My wife is not impressed with the downtime....

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, trmoyer said:

Sigh........ Yes, you guys won the pool on this, bad mechanical seal weeping out the inspection hole...

It's never good form to engage in schadenfreude. But you'll have a water pump you can count on not failing in the middle of nowhere.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, trmoyer said:

My wife is not impressed with the downtime....

Bugger, you should have used that opportunity to replace said faulty water pump with a newer 2015 VFR.

Better safe than sorry I say.

An update, well sort of. I had ordered a pump through partzilla as it showed available in 2-3 days. Well the avail date keeps slipping to I cancelled the order and went back to my local Honda dealer. I should have just ordered from them in the first place but Zilla showed it available sooner. 

Long story short, paid a chunk more for the pump but it should be in tomorrow afternoon. Sigh........ 

Pump installed, hoses connected, coolant added, oil added, followed the Honda manual for adding coolant & bleeding the air from the system and went for a quick spin. 

Things appear ok. Now, how do I know if the air has really been burped from the system? I’m going to recheck the coolant in the morning before heading out. A little paranoid but I shouldn’t be lol. 

• Member Contributer

As long as the system is bled while the bike is resting on the side stand, making the cap the highest point in the system it should be good.  A tell that the system isn't full is that the fan will not come on - the coolant is too low to cover the sensor to complete the fan's  circuit.  

Archived