Sign in to follow this  
Fritzer

Maintenance tips

Tip for Front Cowling/Gauge cover removal without having to remove side cowlings

I recently had to replace the headlights in my 5th gen.  After looking through the manual on the subject and visual inspection, it looked like the side cowlings needed to come off to access the headlight lamps in the front cowling.  A hassle for such a minor issue.  

After looking at it for awhile, I came up with the following procedure that allowed me to get to the headlamps without side cowling removal. 

No doubt many others have come up with this before but others may benefit with this tidbit.

Any other helpful tips out there?

Gauge panel removal instructions.pdf

Removing the upper cowl and mirrors rather than the lowers?  Sounds... harder.

Unplug wires. Remove part 2, remove bulb and replace.

Helps to have small hands. But much less work.

image.png.c8ac45cf6b9c781156906a53107893e6.png

• Like 1

I have large hands. Not a huge, but not a small person either (6'1"). I reach in, and replace by feel...dont remove anything to get access.  

Matt

• Like 1

I couldn't get my hands in there to get anything out.  It only took about 20 min to get things loose for access.  And it is not just about the headlamps but allowing access for maybe wiring issues, rear of gauges access, etc.

Man I wish I read this two days ago.

I tried to get in without removing everything - the one side would not come out.  So, as is my usual last resort, i read the manual and deconstructed the front end.

Turns out there was a reason I couldn't get the bulb out, and the bulb was fine....but.

The Socket has gotten a bit melty.

I looked online for a part number for this and my noob bike skills are combining with my lack of googlefoo. - Can any one help me figure out what I need to replace this?

It looks like a socket for just about any automotive H2 bulb should work- should it not?

Also - any idea what would cause this?

I had the bike for about an hour and found the right headlight was dim in my safety inspection.  So I really don't know the history.  I do note that the manual calls for a 45/45 bulb and it had 60/55s - which I wouldn't think would cause the issue - would it?

I cleaned the connections, threw two new bulbs in (although the old ones worked fine after the cleaning), and it is working fine - but I do want to make sure I don't have future issues. 

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

1529729486_IMG_70641.thumb.JPG.9824126abb8cb459315693c7270b50e3.JPG

IMG_7065[1].JPG

60-55 bulbs get too hot for the plastic sockets(parts no longer available new from Honda), but if the bulb prongs fit right any socket will work, as you say. Other sockets could even be made of plastic that’ll stand the heat better, who knows for sure.  You can get away with 60-55 bulbs but are likely to eventually have issues, as Honda planned/designed housings & reflectors around the 45-45 bulbs

I have another tip regarding chain removal and replacement.  

I remove my chain about every 2,500 miles for a clean and lube.  Rethreading the chain back on the counter sprocket can be challenging if it sets back too far in the case.  On my FJR, I had to remove the counter sprocket cover to get the chain back on.  More hassle then needed if you do the following.

At removal of chain stage, connect a old worn out chain (get one from your local wrench if you don't have one laying around) with the master link w/o end plate.  Pull your chain through sprocket until the old chain makes the circuit.

Disconnect the good chain, clean, oil then replace by

Reconnect the good chain to the worn one and pull new chain through.   Reconnect master link and your ready to ride.  

Lot nicer than removing CS cover for chain rethread.

2 hours ago, airwalk said:

60-55 bulbs get too hot for the plastic sockets(parts no longer available new from Honda), but if the bulb prongs fit right any socket will work, as you say. Other sockets could even be made of plastic that’ll stand the heat better, who knows for sure.  You can get away with 60-55 bulbs but are likely to eventually have issues, as Honda planned/designed housings & reflectors around the 45-45 bulbs

Not only is it hard on the stock connector & system as you found out, but my personal opinion about over lighting a vehicle is a no no.  People that over light their vehicles are doing it at the expense of blinding the people coming directly at them at high speed only a few feet away.   Not wise in my book.