Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Calculon

Handlebar Risers

Recommended Posts

I have a sixth gen with risers on it and my buddy has an eighth gen stock set-up.  He recently added a cruiser to his fleet for long trips because he believes the VFR is too uncomfortable for big rides.  I suggested he get risers for the bars but he's worried it will ruin the handling.  Has anyone added risers to their gen 8's?  Does it change the handling?  And if so is it dramatic?

 

My gen 6 came with the risers so I don't know what a stock version is like for comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding bar risers that move them an inch or so (up, down, back, whatever) is not going to effect the handling of the bike.  If it makes the rider a bit more comfortable the 'handling' will actually be improved.  I have added risers to almost all of my street rides over the years with no ill effects.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added the 15mm Honda risers to my 2014, no change at all to handling, and really no noticeable change to position but a little more comfortable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added the tall Motopumps risers to my '15 with no handling penalty at all, and a big comfort boost. Don't even need to change cables or hoses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I borrowed my friends gen 8 for a 450 mile ride in two days. His is the stock version and for my part I can do about 100 miles and after that the pain starts to become bothersome. Mostly lower back, then neck and finally wrists in order of magnitude in discomfort.  There is no doubt that risers would make a HUGE difference.  Even though I brought up the suggestion of risers, he just smiles and has no intention of installing them.

 

Doing another all day ride today, I’m going to do some preventative ibuprofen treatment before we head out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s his bike right?  Is he comfortable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey calculon, let me start by saying I'm your biggest fan, and all my circuits is my favorite show.  

I have 5/8" risers on my 8th gen.  I think they help.  I'm probably going to switch to 1" risers eventually.  The risers don't change handling one bit, but they sure help me reach the bars with greater comfort.

I'm including a link to a motorcycle ergonomics calculator.  With this, you enter your height, and a few details of your bike, and it will tell you exactly what to expect as far as how changing things on the bike affects rider ergonomics.

http://cycle-ergo.com

Here's what I get when I put in my data:

04wi1238HIRlJV1UzV1UyUy0n.png.0eec63d41a88030e466bbda89fb9df42.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Calculon said:

So I borrowed my friends gen 8 for a 450 mile ride in two days. His is the stock version and for my part I can do about 100 miles and after that the pain starts to become bothersome. Mostly lower back, then neck and finally wrists in order of magnitude in discomfort.  There is no doubt that risers would make a HUGE difference.  Even though I brought up the suggestion of risers, he just smiles and has no intention of installing them.

 

Doing another all day ride today, I’m going to do some preventative ibuprofen treatment before we head out. 

Have you adjusted the seat? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alan553 said:

It’s his bike right?  Is he comfortable? 

Sure, he’s comfortable but he doesn’t tour with it. 

 

9 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Hey calculon, let me start by saying I'm your biggest fan, and all my circuits is my favorite show.  

I have 5/8" risers on my 8th gen.  I think they help.  I'm probably going to switch to 1" risers eventually.  The risers don't change handling one bit, but they sure help me reach the bars with greater comfort.

I'm including a link to a motorcycle ergonomics calculator.  With this, you enter your height, and a few details of your bike, and it will tell you exactly what to expect as far as how changing things on the bike affects rider ergonomics.

http://cycle-ergo.com

Here's what I get when I put in my data:

04wi1238HIRlJV1UzV1UyUy0n.png.0eec63d41a88030e466bbda89fb9df42.png

 

Thanks for all that info. I knew about the ergo site, didn’t know you could make adjustments. 

 

6 hours ago, fink said:

Have you adjusted the seat? 

 

 

Didn’t know you could adjust the seat on the VFR. He did just add a Corbin seat which was pretty good in regards to comfort. 

 

So so at the end of the ride today I showed him how easy the riser install is and he said next visit we can give it a go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option is to strengthen core muscles.  That helps in doing anything physical and may negate the "need" for risers.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got my 8G, I rode my 3G and 8G back to back, the 3G was clearly more comfortable, the ergo cycle website link above confirms that with the numbers in lean angle and crouch. If you look at the ergo cycle website, you can see that any after market seat on the 8G that is too thick compared to the OEM would throw the numbers off whack.

 

I'd like to get an after market seat, but I'd be concerned about it messing too much with the ergos..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corbin will carve out the seat to make it deeper and raise the nose to prevent you from sliding forward, helps to sit up a bit and take the pressure off wrists

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with lowering your seat is it makes your knees bend more than they do already. Unfortunately after knee replacement and back surgery, keeping the seat high and going with the tallest Motopumps was the best solution for me. May even get lower footpegs in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VideoGuy said:

Problem with lowering your seat is it makes your knees bend more than they do already. Unfortunately after knee replacement and back surgery, keeping the seat high and going with the tallest Motopumps was the best solution for me. May even get lower footpegs in the near future.

I agree....I guess that’s why the baby boomers are riding cruisers instead of sport bikes...I guess people like you and I just don’t see ourselves there.....yet!  Lol.  I went from a 92 ST1100 because it was just to heavy, to a vintage 92 FJ1200ABS that was also a little on the heavy side and becoming outdated to the  VFR..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alan553 said:

I agree....I guess that’s why the baby boomers are riding cruisers instead of sport bikes...I guess people like you and I just don’t see ourselves there.....yet!  Lol.  I went from a 92 ST1100 because it was just to heavy, to a vintage 92 FJ1200ABS that was also a little on the heavy side and becoming outdated to the  VFR..

Not too derail this topic too much, there are other bikes besides cruisers and sport bikes.

 

I rode my gen 6 with risers a few days after I got back from my trip and the difference was immediate.  My friend, John with the gen 8 is on board with getting risers for next trip.  Now the question, which height risers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Calculon said:

Not too derail this topic too much, there are other bikes besides cruisers and sport bikes.

 

I rode my gen 6 with risers a few days after I got back from my trip and the difference was immediate.  My friend, John with the gen 8 is on board with getting risers for next trip.  Now the question, which height risers?

Can’t raise it much more that 1.25”, so motopumps would be the choice I suppose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Calculon said:

Not too derail this topic too much, there are other bikes besides cruisers and sport bikes.

 

I rode my gen 6 with risers a few days after I got back from my trip and the difference was immediate.  My friend, John with the gen 8 is on board with getting risers for next trip.  Now the question, which height risers?

How come your friend John doesn’t join?  

 

Look for moto pumps. From memory he has 3 heights to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Motopumps has 3 heights. Lowest is same as Honda OEM, then tallest is 1.25 inches, which is what I did. Way more comfortable than stock with no handling penalty, at least on the street.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fink said:

How come your friend John doesn’t join?  

 

Look for moto pumps. From memory he has 3 heights to choose from.

Join?  You mean this forum?  He’s not really a forum kinda guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  Happy to get someone else to do his bidding for him eh. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fink said:

Yes.  Happy to get someone else to do his bidding for him eh. 😀

Nah, I did it for me.  When I visit I ride the Interceptor mostly and after 100 miles or so it gets to be uncomfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.