Fuel economy - what should i expect?

Jono67

Hi everyone,

I am getting close to buying an 8th gen VFR800 (currently have a Triumph Sprint GT) I know it depends greatly on what kind of riding and journey length I will be doing but,

what mpg should the latest version do? I had a VFR1200f a few years back and that returned an average of high 30's to low/mid 40's. Not exactly great but it greatly improved on longer trips.

I would hope the smaller engined bike would be better?

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, thtanner said:

Was something done to improve mileage on the '13-'14 models?  Or is it the low number reporting are skewing the results?  If you look at VTECs from '02-'12 it appears to be high 30's to low 40's which is in line with my experience on my '04.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/vfr800_interceptor

• Member Contributer

There were changes made like "different cams, new exhaust porting, longer intake velocity stacks, and revised PGM-FI tuning" according to various articles.

All of those can result in MPG differences, but the sample size is way lower on the 14-15 models vs the 02-12.

I average around 44 mpg when riding really aggressive in the canyons, at elevations between 5,500' and 10,000'.  When taking it easy, I have no problem averaging over 50 mpg.  Most times that I check it, is with mixed riding and it'll be around 48 mpg.  Much better than the 40 I would get on my 6th gen.  Very easy to get well above 200 miles on a tank.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Jono67 said:

If I can get 50mpg, i'll be happy. Thanks for the info

8th Gen is more frugal then the 6th Gen/Vtec. My 800X (same engine) is averaging late 40s/early50s on my commute to work and I could easily improve that.

Beware directly relating the quoted mpg figures from our American cousins....their gallons are smaller than ours and therefore get less miles per (US) gallon than we do.

• Member Contributer
On 12/7/2016 at 1:01 PM, DriverDave said:

Very easy to get well above 200 miles on a tank.

Sounds like the best reason I've heard yet to get an 8th...

My 6th is barely hitting 200 if that.

A buddy and I, on a trip over the Sierra Nevada and up into Extremadura and back to Murcia (S.E. Spain), on the way back, managed 350km and still could have squeezed another 50km out of the tank. Both on 6th gens, he on a 2002, me on a 2007. We are not novice riders and enjoy spirited chicken strip eating contests in the twisties. We both had the side-mounting OEM hard bags on our bikes. No top box, those things are the antithesis of aerodynamics. The ambient temp was fresh, no serious head wind.

Then there were times at the racetrack on 40°C days when I'd be lucky to get 180km out of a tank.

The VFR is capable of excellent fuel consumption, just depends on the meteorology and your right wrist. Maintenance also plays a big part: oil, coolant, sparks plugs, air filter and final drive kit.

Honda claims improved fuel consumption on the 8th.

• Member Contributer

Just for the metric folks. I get anywhere between 4.3 to as low as 3.9 litres per 100k's. (per full tank). The 8th gen definitely has superior fuel economy than the 6th gen. Also my best economy is on standard unleaded 91ron fuel. Whilst the tank capacity is slightly less than the 6th gen the 8th gen compensates for this in better fuel economy.

Cheers.

Grum.

I've averaged 55 imperial mpg, so about 46 US mpg, over 6000 miles. I don't ride particularly hard, mainly because it's impossible on most of my rides - most of the mileage came from a 30 mile each way commute where there's no point ragging it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30 miles each way. The fuel economy has been very consistent at 54-56mpg for the first year of ownership. Shorter rides may affect economy a little but probably less than with the bigger engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I never reset the b-trip counter since I bought the bike on October 25th, 2014.

The average fuel consumption over the first 15000 miles (24000 km) is 46.10 mpg (19,6 km/l).

My daily commuting (over 90% of the mileage) is 8.9 miles (14,3 km) one way.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, StubyDoo said:

The average fuel consumption on the trip on my shows 45mpg.  Is that imp or US and how can you tell. 

As it's a UK bike Stu, it's imperial.

Equals approx. 10 miles/litre. Similar to my commute on the Cr.

43 minutes ago, Skids said:

As it's a UK bike Stu, it's imperial.

Equals approx. 10 miles/litre. Similar to my commute on the Cr.

Cheers  Gareth.  I did work it out when I first got it the old fashioned way until I found the AMPG in the trip settings.

• Member Contributer

I leave it on miles per litre now as we buy petrol in litres....might as well forget gallons, they're antiquated and not easy to work with, especially on VFRD!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

The average fuel consumption on the trip on my shows 45mpg.  Is that imp or US and how can you tell. 

It's imperial. 

2 hours ago, Skids said:

I leave it on miles per litre now as we buy petrol in litres....might as well forget gallons, they're antiquated and not easy to work with, especially on VFRD!

Being a jet jockey you can work in any quantities - pints, pounds, kgs gallons, firkin, noggin and hogsheads.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

Being a jet jockey you can work in any quantities - pints, pounds, kgs gallons, firkin, noggin and hogsheads.

I like to keep quiet about my innumerable talents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
10 hours ago, zegued said:

It is normal, when stopped at idle and the shift in neutral, the average meter keeps rising?

I don't have an 8th gen specifically, but when you're sitting still and idling, you're burning fuel and not going very far, so that'll bring up the average consumption for sure. 

Archived