I adopted a VFR in need of a good home

65matt

Hey guys (and gals), first time poster here.  I recently adopted an '03 VFR with some electrical issues (won't start).  I'm hoping that with proper feeding and care, I can bring this puppy back to life.  :491:

It's got 77k, and I'm guessing it was once well cared for, but the last few owners not so much.  It does have a clean title, ABS, helibars, and relatively new Pilot Power tires on it.   And even though the fairings are missing, the forks, body, etc. all seem pretty straight.  I picked it up for $600, thinking I could either get it running or part it out.  (I really don't want to part it out, though.)

The wiring is butchered, so I'm starting by replacing the main harness and the headlight harness with uncut ones from ebay.  I've been reading alot here about the ground issues and burnt wires.  I thought for sure I would find that to be the cause of the no start.  But I didn't find any melted wiring or connectors.  I read that the kill switch goes bad, so I tested it and didn't get real good results.  I cleaned inside it with carb cleaner, and it ohms out much better now.  I'm going to replace the harnesses using dielectric grease, get everything back to stock, and start from there. I plan to add more grounds and tie them back to the negative side of the battery. 

I'm pretty excited about the bike and the technology on it.  I hope I can get it running soon, so I can start going through it with maintenance.  Here's a pic after I bathed her and brought her inside:

IMG_9118 - Copy.JPG

Busted plastic means it has been down. Check the bank angle sensor, side stand switch as those would cause no start. You can get the manual here in the downloads section for more info. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Don't worry it will run. I bet Sweepers suggestions fix the problem. if not you've come to the right place for help!

What's that exhaust all about? pictures?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RDMcD said:

What's that exhaust all about? pictures?

I'd bet a lot of fake internet money that it's just a slash cut tip, no muffler. 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, CasualSwede said:

I'd bet a lot of fake internet money that it's just a slash cut tip, no muffler. 

Now I want to hear it! lol

• Member Contributer

Heck, with the '07 RWB tank, you could probably pick up a set of Chinese RWB plastics for it, and even with the other work / parts needed you could be in to that bike for very little money!  This thread has good info on going the Chinese fairing route. 

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/81765-viffercrabs-chinese-fairings-build-thread/#comment-1008941

Also look in the downloads section here and link below.  I think I remember seeing some wiring diagrams and troubleshooting info as well as the service manual mentioned above.  There is some good info that may help you track down the gremlin.   The chinese fairings mentioned above too look pretty impressive for the money.  They come painted too.  Check it out if you do not want to go OEM.  Good luck.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/category/2-owners-manuals-and-other/

You guys are pretty good!  Thanks for the tips on the downloads.  This site is awesome to host those files. 

CasualSwede, yep, they were slash tips!  And they should be in the scrapyard by now! Thanks to LangoPTC, it looks like I may be able to put stock mufflers back on it.

I checked the side stand switch and its good. 

I checked the bank angle sensor and I think it's bad.  I connected 12v to the 2 wires (cant remember the colors now), and measured the voltage on the third wire while I rotated it.  No voltage coming through, but I could swear it was shocking my hands as I was handling it.  Im heading to ebay now to order a replacement, but I've got the two wires jumped temporarily.

I got my new wiring harnesses in, and I started disconnecting the old ones. 

Question: What do you guys think about this chunk missing from the front tire?  Would you ride on it, or replace it?

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

Big thanks to TangoPTC, who donated a stock exhaust to replace my hacked up slash tips!  Ive replaced the harnesses, and getting her ready to startup.  Ive also been collecting parts for the build.  Here's a concept photo.  I think I'm going to keep the 25th anniversary theme, but install the front fairing and headlights from a different bike.  The parts for 07-12 CBR600rr are incredibly cheap, and I've always loved the look of them.  Here's a concept sketch:

07HondaVFRRWB.jpg~original copy.jpg

I'll guess someone went down when they curb rashed that wheel and chunked the tire.

You're not all that likely to lean the bike over that far onto that part of the tire. But if you did....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

For the cost of a front tire, I wouldn't take the chance.  The old adage "because so much is riding on your tires" is very true.  I have a set of Pirelli Angel GTs that I could sell you really cheap with only a few thousand miles on them.  Great tires but wanted to try the Rosso IIIs.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

That's great to hear.  Nice that you had good support from fellow members.

If it were mine I would probably replace the tire, but I may be more cautious than is typical about that kind of thing.  Even if I stayed with the tire though, I would remove it and closely inspect the wheel for runout or wobble and go over it with a magnifying glass looking for any cracks or other damage besides the rash. 

Archived