Fifth Gen Project

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

Just got another Fifth Gen yesterday for a new project. Good running 2000 with generally tired plastics and paint. I've had some ideas I wanted to try, but didn't want to mess with my '99. Not saying it's perfect, but it's really nice and anything more would clutter or mess up what I've done. 

"Pics or it doesn't... bla bla"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Crap! Who let that guy ride it?

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, mello dude said:

You Carvers blow me away....Whats that - something like 25 VFRs? 

:beer::cool:

Yeah, still not enough VFRs though! :wink:

• Member Contributer

Decided to tear it down today and see what I actually bought. Said he had the coolant hoses replaced and there are receipts to back it up. Unfortunately whomever he paid to do it left the overflow bottle dry and barely filled the rads. Clearly didn't burp it, as the level was very low once I looked into the filler with a shop light.:mad:

Lots of missing fasteners, 5mm and of course plastic rivet thingies.:wacko:

There's a metric ton of chain splooge built up on the kick stand bracket. I haven't dared to take the sprocket cover off yet...:unsure:

Feels like a great engine!

Trans might need some better oil, or a shift star.

Clutch master cylinder might need a rebuild (if I keep the stocker)

Brake lever had great pressure. Of course the levers themselves were dry and squeaky. (Lube your lever pivot points people! And brake fluid is not the color of coffee!)

Reg/Rec plug is pristine on both sides! 

I think this was a "rescue" more than anything else. He ended up getting that Kawi 1000 with bags that everyone talks about. I guess a liter bike is necessary these days for commuting? That's what I hear from Wera803, anyway...:squid:

He didn't seem to do much maintenance himself, probably paid for basic stuff and neglected the rest. Better to have the bike in the hands of someone who cares! He probably wouldn't believe it if he saw my '99. His '00 was just an old worn down commuter to him, and on to newer. Because new is better!:rolleyes:

I think this was a "rescue" more than anything else. He ended up getting that Kawi 1000 with bags that everyone talks about. I guess a liter bike is necessary these days for commuting? That's what I hear from Wera803, anyway...:squid:

Hey now. I resemble that comment. Actually I commute more on the VFR and keep the GSX-S for the weekend rides in the mountains. The bags on the VFR are great for commuting.

• Member Contributer

I made my 6 Gen my commuter and 5 Gen the "play bike"! The 6 Gen seems to be a great work horse and touring machine. The 5 Gen just feels more sporty, especially with the whine of those GDCs!

Looking forward to see what you come up with KevCarver

Do you mind sharing the sale price KevCarver?

Just for comparison sake.

Because it looks better than the 98 project bike I have.

And am debating selling or paying a mechanic to fix with my fleabay parts. :wink:

Archived