Just scored some RC51 SP2 Calipers

• Member Contributer

I just received some RC51 calipers and Yoshimura carbon cans off my buddies wrecked RC. One carbon can will go on the 3rd Gen, and one on the SV650 race bike! My question is: does anyone know if someone makes an adapter kit to mount the RC51 calipers onto a 3rd Gen, or do I have to make my own? Also, will the RC51 rotors fit, or will I need a new wheel?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Nobody makes adapters, AFAIK, but anything can be machined if you're willing to pay for it!  You cannot use the rotors unless you have an RC51 front wheel to go with it (but I'll take them if they're straight!)  Those rotors are 320mm OD, while your OEM rotors are 296mm OD and have a radically different mounting circle.

SP-2 calipers have 32/30 pistons (unlike SP-1, which have 43/32 pistons), so you would need an 11/32" master cylinder ('03-'04 CBR600RR had the same calipers and an integrated m/c, otherwise, remote m/cs are available). 

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, JZH said:

Nobody makes adapters, AFAIK, but anything can be machined if you're willing to pay for it!  You cannot use the rotors unless you have an RC51 front wheel to go with it (but I'll take them if they're straight!)  Those rotors are 320mm OD, while your OEM rotors are 296mm OD and have a radically different mounting circle.

SP-2 calipers have 32/30 pistons (unlike SP-1, which have 43/32 pistons), so you would need an 11/32" master cylinder ('03-'04 CBR600RR had the same calipers and an integrated m/c, otherwise, remote m/cs are available). 

Ciao,

Dyslexia kicking in? 34/32? ;)

• Member Contributer

You could grab either Super Hawk forks or just the lower fork tubes as a clean way to get it all together. And the while your at its- minimum upgrade the springs and valving. Some very minor grinding on the lower mounting boss is required and also a bit off the lower mount on the caliper itself so it will go together.  Then as JZH alluded to - you will need the matching master cylinder to go with it. 

If the 3rd gen wheel is the same as a 4th gen, chances are you can use your 3rd gen wheel/rotors. Also you will have to get a SH fender. I assume you would use the stock triples and bars.

--I have done very simular on my 5th gen and so have others. Take a look at my gallery to get a handle on the whole job. 

btw - the RC51 calipers are very nice!

Curious - what shape are the RC51 forks?

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, mello dude said:

Curious - what shape are the RC51 forks?

Same shape as a banana................

I will just machine my own brackets (I work at a machine shop). He gave me the master cyl too, along with the stainless braided lines, master cyl, remote reservior and lever.................eventually I will upgrade the fork, but I have a lot to do............26 year old bike.........

Flip eccentric and get a new chain and sprockets....still on original

Rebuild/re-jet carbs, still smell fuel when riding, but parked fuel leak is fixed

Put bars, triples, tach, speedo, dash back to stock, or get supermoto bars....

Adapt carbon yoshi can to two-bros header/exhaust

Front fork/wheel update if everything else gets done.

• Member Contributer
On 8/28/2016 at 8:34 PM, St. Stephen said:

You should have purchased his RC before it went down. Much more fun!

It wasn't for sale then............otherwise it would have been in my garage!

On 8/28/2016 at 9:21 PM, mello dude said:

Well... sheet, you didnt say you worked at a machine shop...

By the time I measure and make a set, I will be way deeper in time and materials than I would be just paying for a set off a website.........no worries - I will make a CAD drawing for anyone else to copy!

On 8/30/2016 at 5:36 PM, RC1237V said:

It wasn't for sale then............otherwise it would have been in my garage!

By the time I measure and make a set, I will be way deeper in time and materials than I would be just paying for a set off a website.........no worries - I will make a CAD drawing for anyone else to copy!

Please do make a cad drawing. Can you also detail what adaptations to the calipers themselves were needed. I'm purchasing a 94-97 wheel later this month so these calipers would make a nice adaptation!

On a side note, you should look at a side line of making brackets ya know, you'd make a killing. I'd quite literally love to have a set of 4 pot radial calipers from a street triple R for example. I've seen plenty of people with adapter brackets to fit these kind of calipers!

• Member Contributer

There's definitely a "gap in the market" for simple brackets like this.  Honda used the same sliding 2-pot calipers on a lot of bikes...

Ciao,

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/28/2016 at 8:34 PM, St. Stephen said:

You should have purchased his RC before it went down. Much more fun!

Hi Noel.....I just did that, unfortunately it was AFTER it went down, and now has a salvage title. Buuuuuuutttttt, the price was right, and it came with so many goodies, I could not pass it up. Anyway, I like my stuff modified, so I will get exactly what I want in the end. After the crash, his knee has been giving him issues riding the RC, even though it is set up as an upright bike.

Bad news first, right?

The Bad:

Slavage title

Made into an upright "Tuono" style bike, so it is far from intended RC51 purpose

Mix of Honda, and Chinese fairings

Tires were worn

Have to unbolt my tire machine to make room for another bike

The Good:

low mileage SP2

Well maintained - except for the crash which was 100% car driver's fault

2006 clean tank and paint scheme

Scotts steering damper

RC51 fork with Ohlins front fork internals

Brembo M50 monoblock calipers

Machined adapter brackets

Brembo master cylinder

Power commander 5 dynotuned

speedo healer

Sato rearsets

Ohlins rear shock

New chain and sprockets -1F +2R

Brand new Akrapovich Titanium header and exhaust system (tip to tail)

AGV? levers

New Shorai battery

/other Parts included:

Sato clip ons 

Another set of Sato rearsets

complete Sato Titanium Exhaust System

complete Yoshimura Carbon exhaust system (a few scratches from the accident)

Stock exhaust header

Spare tail section

spare Fox rear shock

spare stock rear shock

spare front wheel

2 fairing cages, 1 slightly bent, 1 new

2 windscreens, 1 cut for upright bars, 1 new

spare power commander 3

more, but there was too much to remember...............

I already wet-sanded the rims, and will take them to work to be powder coated tomorrow. Ordered new bearings for said wheels, new rotors, and new tires. Once I get them mounted and balanced, I can unbolt my tire machine, bring the bike home, and take some pictures. I will put the Sato clip-ons back on the bike, and replace the messed up fairings, then add a few more trick pieces of my own and it will be done!

I guess, I will be seeing Dutchy on the RC51 forum as well!

• Member Contributer

Haha, yes! Missed you on the 7/22 ride, but now you know you can do a 1000 mile Sierra weekend on an RC! C'mon we need some pics.

• Member Contributer

As soon as I bring it home I will snap a few "before" pics.......

Did you buy a Multistrada....?

• Member Contributer

Yup, first time in 30 years without a vfr in the garage. Strange.

See my post Talking to Myself in Other Motorcycle Talk. Hope that explains it.

• Member Contributer

5th gens are $2500 for semi-decent shape..........maybe just fill the void with one. Or......wait for the new V4 if Honda EVER makes it................

• Member Contributer

Looking at the under slung caliper and bracket kit as we speak, very tasty machined bits..............might have to indulge. The VFR1200 has NO aftermarket goodies, maybe now that they are $6K someone will step up. I did finish my titanium front axle, but /i might modify it for the RC, since the VFR1200 is 593lbs and a Ti axle won't help much......

• Member Contributer

Just read your post, not ready to get rid of mine yet, but there is no more room in the garage, and both dual-sports are in the back porch......of my town-house, condo thingy......

My wife just got home and lit me up......."You got another bike?.....!!!!!!................ (Yep)

• Member Contributer

Tool I had to modify to get the wheel bearings out, and the wheels ready for bead blast and powder coat tomorrow.

20170826_182332.jpg

20170827_211232.jpg

• Member Contributer

Excellent choice if I may say :goofy:

But no piccie, no exist..:tongue:

• Member Contributer

Wheels ready for powdercoat. I will take pics of the bike as soon as I get the tires mounted, and can unbolt my tire machine. Then I can bring my new baby home - hopefully this weekend!

20170829_061322.jpg

Archived