How many miles will a 5th gen last?

• Member Contributer

Ok. I have never seriously thought of parting with my 98, but with approx 132k miles on the odometer I am wondering if it's time for something new. Still starts runs and pulls hard with no oil consumption or smoking. Just wondering how long can these motors last? Milage is probably a little lower as I have been running -1 tooth in the front since around 30k miles. This fools the speedo into showing almost 10mph faster than actual. So maybe 10k less than indicated on odo.?

So what do you guys know? Highest mile VFR you have heard of. Also what is your highest milage on a vfr mill?

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, jeffyjeff said:

Here is a pdf of the article auggius refers to.  enjoy.

Britain's highest mileage rider.pdf

I've heard this guy referenced a number of times but have never seen this article.  Great read.  Thanks for posting!

edit - in his commentary on the '90 VFR he says "Brilliant.  But the sidestand rotted".   In all my years owning, riding and talking about VFR's, I can't say that I've ever seen / heard of one with a case of side stand rot . . . :unsure::laugh:

• Member Contributer

And judging by other makes/models he's owned, you can make most bikes last with a little tlc.

• Member Contributer

I've worn out at least one sidestand (~ 80,000 miles). And my 40,000 mile '01 has a wobbly one. I went looking for a replacement and they are no longer available from oem stock. I did find a decent one on Ebay at a salvage yard. Good luck. 

• Member Contributer

I suppose side stand life depends to some extent on how much it is loaded when used  Stan probably used the side stand everywhere he went, with top case loaded most of the time.  If he was in the habit of sitting on the bike while it was supported by the stand, that would accelerate wear even further.   JJ

On 7/2/2016 at 9:52 AM, VFR Capt.Bob said:

Milage is probably a little lower as I have been running -1 tooth in the front since around 30k miles. This fools the speedo into showing almost 10mph faster than actual

I run the same gearing, 1 tooth down in front, almost forever. Did a 400+ mile day with mine when I put the handlebar conversion on, mileage on the odo was very close to google maps mileage for the route. Like within 1% of so. Fwiw.

Rolled mine past 80,000 miles today on Little TJ. :beer:

Archived