Bought A Vfr1200 On A Whim...

So I bought a VFR1200 through an auction my mate works at up north. It's an ex Police bike with about 55k on it. No idea about service history, not seen it in the flesh other than a few pics that my friend took.

Anyone here in the Police or have bought one...or any friends/family that're Police bikers? I understand they service their bikes regularly, anyone know how often?

I got it for an absolute steal tbh, even if I don't like it or it's a turd, I'll just sell it on.

This is the bike itself, volume's a bit poo on the video, recommend headphones...sound OK to you experts?

Are you sure it wasn't a seized asset? I know law enforcement forces will sell autos at auction...I would think if it had been in the police fleet, it would be white or possibly black.

From experience from working on Police bikes in the UK they are normally well maintained and they do alot of the work them selves. And if it isn't something they can do, they take them to the main dealer.

I would lay money on that being a asset forfeiture bike. Thats what we call it over here in the US anyway when we take something from the criminals. I rode a police motorcycle for 10 years and even if that was undercover there would be some telltale signs of it being a police bike such as switch gear for emergency lights etc and I don't see that unless your UK police strip it of everything before sale. We don't over here. They just take out the radio, red and blues and sell it. Hard to tell for sure from that video but you would think there would still be some signs of it being a police motor and I could not see any. Either way appears to be running fine and its a Honda so nearly indestructible...........have fun with it

Not stolen. Ex police bike, undercover use, fact.

This isn't the question at hand, anyway. Can the original question be answered instead of random, armchair expert opinions on what the bike may or may not be?

• Member Contributer

An old mate of mine was an undercover bike cop, his bike was a Fireblade with some very well hidden cameras and comms equipment. Auction house near me sells a LOT of ex police bikes, you wouldnt believe some of the bikes that go through. A lot of police forces are selling off all the standard issue BMWs and replacing everything with Z1400s.

An old mate of mine was an undercover bike cop, his bike was a Fireblade with some very well hidden cameras and comms equipment. Auction house near me sells a LOT of ex police bikes, you wouldnt believe some of the bikes that go through. A lot of police forces are selling off all the standard issue BMWs and replacing everything with Z1400s.

Yeah, my friend who works at the auction house said they get about 10 vehicles a month from the Police, all are undercover/run abouts. They wanted £5500 as a reserve for this originally! Time of year, mileage and condition dictated they weren't gonna get close to it - so I held out and got it for a lesser amount that I'm very pleased with.

Now, another question, the tank range (although I'm not overly bothered) isn't astounding on these from what I've been reading. Can a later model tank be swapped over without any fuss? Reason I'm asking is due to buying this for a trip around Europe next year...I have a 750 but wanted the extra power and reliability of this bike, plus I don't mind knocking it about a bit as it's already got battle wounds whereas my 750 is a posh little tart.

UK Police are using unmarked S1000rr,K1300s and Fireblades. They've also use Hyabusa, Blackbird and ZX14R of any colour.

Well, either way, it's not nicked - and in all honesty I wouldn't care if it was. It has two wheels, a V4 engine and goes forwards, I have no intention of lavishing love all over it other than normal maintenance. It's gonna drag me around Europe with a bit of pizazz and I'll likely lay it up for anything other than that.

• Member Contributer

Durham Police, in the UK, had a Red VFR1200, on a 60 plate, which I saw at Durham headquarters, on their open day, and that's fact. I also know the Durham police sergeant, that rode the Red VFR1200, on a regular basis.

Durham Police, in the UK, had a Red VFR1200, on a 60 plate, which I saw at Durham headquarters, on their open day, and that's fact. I also know the Durham police sergeant, that rode the Red VFR1200, on a regular basis.

But, Dave, people behind screens in other parts of the World have said that it's deffo not undercover as the Police only use white bikes (good way to be undercover) AND it's definitely stolen.

So you and me are wrong. Capiche? :)

Maybe this is the actual bike you saw, claim to fame!

• Member Contributer

But, Dave, people behind screens in other parts of the World have said that it's deffo not undercover as the Police only use white bikes (good way to be undercover) AND it's definitely stolen.

So you and me are wrong. Capiche? :)

Maybe this is the actual bike you saw, claim to fame!

Personally, I don't give a hoot about what people have said on this site, I know Durham Police, had a red VFR1200 on a 60 plate, and as I have already said I know the Police sergeant who has rode a red VFR1200 on a 60 plate. Durham Police service all their motorcycles and cars, to a very high standard. The main fleet of their motorcycles are Yamaha FJR1300's, I brought it to their attention of possible rear shock lower link breaking on the FJR1300, due to the bearing seizing if it is not greased at the recommended service intervals. But up to that point they had no such issues, but thanked me for the info. Hey ho.

• Member Contributer

Now, another question, the tank range (although I'm not overly bothered) isn't astounding on these from what I've been reading. Can a later model tank be swapped over without any fuss? Reason I'm asking is due to buying this for a trip around Europe next year...I have a 750 but wanted the extra power and reliability of this bike, plus I don't mind knocking it about a bit as it's already got battle wounds whereas my 750 is a posh little tart.

Do the later models have a larger tank? I didn't think they did.

To empty, depending upon how you ride the bike could be from sub-150 to 200 miles. My commute to work gets me around 10 miles/litre (= 185 miles to empty), but it's an open road/dual carriageway commute, not a town one so YMMV. Only way to find out is to ride it and see.

Yeah I'm sure they increased tank size...looks like .5 litres between the 2010 and 2012 model (18.5 > 19 respectively) though.

I won't be using it for my commute to work, too big, too cumbersome, too heavy, too slow on turn in from the sounds of it. Perfect for what I want it for though, mile munching Alp touring goodness.

Sounds like its more or less a throw away bike for you, , hope you treat it well and have many pleasent miles on it.

I always treat my bikes well, apart from my commuter 750 (I have two, long story) which gets the life rung out of it at every opportunity, it just won't give up on me, the reliable old bastard. I'm just not going to lavish the 12 with loads of goodies as it'd be a massive waste. Some cheapo saddle bags and maaaaaaaaaaaybe a better rear shock if I can find one cheap enough.

my new 2012 is getting way better range than my 2010 did.....best ever on the 2010 was 173 miles rolling up to the pump dry....i've gone over 200 miles on the '12 already.....2010 flashed low fuel at 125-130...2012 at around 145-150.....MPG is the same.....idk ?????.....same mods on both except i had Bazzaz Z-fi map on 2010 before i reflashed....using Guhl map on 2012.....but MPG on 2010 never change with any mods.....i don't get it ....?????????......0.10 gallons more should add 3-4 miles

I know, weird isn't it. I've had this with my two 750's, both same gen - before either was modded I'd get a smidge over 100 miles while commuting on both, but on long runs I could clip over 150 miles on the nicer bike but about 170 on the shitter. Now I've put a left exit and dynojet kit on the posh bike...it's getting about 100 miles to a tank no matter how I ride it, so I ride it hard all the time haha.

Thanks for the info though, good to know!

So what nickname will you give the bike? "rozzer" ? :goofy:

Thinking The Red Bastard. Thoughts?

my new 2012 is getting way better range than my 2010 did.....best ever on the 2010 was 173 miles rolling up to the pump dry....i've gone over 200 miles on the '12 already.....2010 flashed low fuel at 125-130...2012 at around 145-150.....MPG is the same.....idk ?????.....same mods on both except i had Bazzaz Z-fi map on 2010 before i reflashed....using Guhl map on 2012.....but MPG on 2010 never change with any mods.....i don't get it ....?????????......0.10 gallons more should add 3-4 miles

Are you running the same tires? Another words, could your odometer be off a little more, making it appear you are getting better mileage?

been running Michelin PR3/4 since i wore out the OEM B Stones at 5000 miles on the 2010.....swapped out stock Dunlops for PR4 at 250 miles on 2012

If it was a police used motor, then it should have been well cared for maint wise. We did all PM's religiously and all required major service as well on time. I would guess most municipalities are the same around the world. The only concern would be how it was used while in service. I rode the piss out of mine (ST1300's) & (KZ1000) and if used in an urban environment the mileage might not be very indicative of how much it ran. In a 10 hour shift mine was running for 6-7 hrs daily but maybe only getting 75-100 miles logged, so it can be tough mileage. All that said one of the Honda ST's I ran until 76000 miles before they retired her and she was still running strong really. The only major work done was one clutch, one alternator and fork seals. Honda's just run and run.......

Archived