2016 Kootenay Hootenanny - July 22-24, 2016 - Official Thread

superfunkomatic

• Member Contributer

Great to hear everybody has either made it home or are getting there steeds fixed up to do so..

:( besides one ninja needs a new heart. But was able to join the VFR world, i have to say it was a good outcome.

We made it home last night after 2800 km over 8 days...  For those that would like to see lots of Tammy's picks send me a PM with your facebook name so we can (BE FRIENDS).

Ill try to load up the one video i can post here ;)

Mike please when you are done with numbers let us know so we can wrangle up some for dough.

Derek 

PS cant wait to hear what Choco and Cogswell plan up for Oregon.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Wait a frickin' minute. Did someone hit an animal?! My condolences if so. Congrats on being walking around.

• Member Contributer

Got home Sunday afternoon, incident free, with 2,708 km/1,638 miles on the trip clock.  Thanks to Mike for another great Kootenay meet!  It was fun meeting up with Randy and Al for the ride up to Nelson (despite the rain), and riding with Arman, Al, Kevin and Mark (in Reno) around the lake on Saturday.  I carried on from the Hootenanny down to Missoula, MT on Sunday where I spent six days off the bike hiking and touring the area. Interesting continent we live on: Temps in B.C. with our July-uary weather were in the 60-70 F range, a few hundred miles to the southeast, mid-80s to 100 F (last Friday) in Missoula.  There are some nice two-lane highways in northern Washington state (crossed at Nelway) and Idaho on the way down to Missoula--little traffic, nice scenery, small towns and a few twisties. On Saturday I decided to take the long way home and ride Lolo Pass since several of you (Arman and Paul among them) said: "If you're that close you have to do it."  With no GPS and a cursory glance at my AAA map, I headed south on 93 from Missoula.  Of course, I turned too early and wound up on a nice two-lane highway through farm fields that eventually spat me on to I-90 W.  Not ready to give up on Lolo, I pulled over, consulted the map and found a road that connected to Hwy. 12 just before Alberton, MT.  The road had no name on the map, and after about a third of the way, was indicated as two parallel lines instead of a solid line.  I chose to interpret that as multilane expressway. :wink:  A couple of hundred yards down the road a sign read: "Primitive road 12 miles."  I figured I could always turn around if it got too bad.  After 12 miles of nice, two-lane paved road through woods and fields with friendly farmers waving at me from their pickup trucks, the pavement ended.  It was dry and the gravel was smooth, wide, and firmly packed so I carried on.  It turned out that the beginning and end of the gravel section (which was about a third of the distance), were fine.  There was just a bit in the middle where the road switchbacked up one side of a big hill (small mountain?) and down the other where the road narrowed, crowned (with rocks) in the centre, and had potholes and washboard for good measure.  There was no sand, however, and I was able to find a hard-packed path that was at least as wide as the tires.  So I off-roaded the VFR and lived to tell about it. :fing02:

Lolo was good, sweepers on the east approach and some tight turns on the west, but there was a fair bit of camper and motorhome traffic, so I didn't get to take many of them at speed.  I saw the "Winding road for 99 miles" sign, but I've seen that shot so many times I didn't bother to stop and take it again.  It was a nice day, but my offroad adventuring and Lolo diversion made it a long one: 12 hours and 549 miles by the time I checked in at the Quality Inn in Okanogan, WA.  I had a nice leisurely day riding home on Hwys. 20 and 9 Sunday.  Again, lots of slow campers and Hardleys, but beautiful weather and cooler temps.

Some pics:

Photo%20with%20sign.jpg 

Gathering before the pic with the 'Nelson Welcomes You' sign.

Ferry1.jpg

Missed it by this much ... one sailing wait at the Balfour-Kootenay Bay ferry.

Ferry.jpg

Arman, Mark (in Reno), Kevin and Al on the ferry across Kootenay Lake.

Not riding, but the veefer got me there ...

Blodgett%20Creek.jpg

Blodgett Creek in the Bitterroot Wilderness, MT.

Blodgett%20Creek2.jpg

Water looks really inviting when it's 90F outside.  Met some nice ladies riding horses on this

trail.  Two were packing. :ohmy:

Bitterroot%20Wilderness.jpg

One more from the Bitterroot Wilderness in Montana.

Missoula.jpg

Missoula, MT from Mount Sentinel.  University of Montana in the foreground.  Lots of good

microbreweries and restaurants.  Interesting historic downtown.

M-Trail.jpg

The 'M' about a third of the way up Mount Sentinel behind the university.  It looks a lot

closer than it is!  You can see a bit of the switchback trail that leads up to it.  Think Grouse

Grind on a very hot day with no tree cover.

Court%20house.jpg

Historic Missoula Court House.

Made%20it.jpg

Made it!  My "primitive road" excursion has a happy ending. This part

looks easy. Who needs a steenkin' BMW GS?

Hwy.12.jpg

The intersection with Hwy. 12. I'm not a smoker, but if I were this is where I'd light up.

Instead I drank some water, ate a Clif bar and took a few pics.

Lochsa%20River%20ID%20Hwy.12.jpg

I found a shady spot to pull over beside the Lochsa River in Lowell, ID after riding the pass.

It was good seeing so many folks from the last meet and/or Montrose (Jeff, Rob, Kawasaki--now 'VFR'--Craig, Gary, Mike, Ian, David, Christian, Derek & Tammy, Terry, Tony, Quennel & Erin) and meeting a few new people too.  Thanks again, happy summer and safe riding to all!

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

Hey Belfry! 

Thanks for this nice ride report. Glad to hear you had a good time riding south and getting lost. All part of living and enjoying riding. Who needs them steenkin' GPSs anyways!!  That "M" up Sentinel Mountain seems like a 15 min gentle hike up that mountain. Are you sure you weren't drinking when you said you looked at it??!?  ........................   

Was nice meeting you too. Cheers mate! 

C

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Polarbear said:

Thanks for this nice ride report. Glad to hear you had a good time riding south and getting lost. All part of living and enjoying riding. Who needs them steenkin' GPSs anyways!!  That "M" up Sentinel Mountain seems like a 15 min gentle hike up that mountain. Are you sure you weren't drinking when you said you looked at it??!?  ........................  

Hi PB,

That shot of the M is zoomed quite a bit so it suffers from (or enjoys, depending on your point of view) lens compression, making it appear much closer.  It's also hard to capture grade on roads and mountains in photos and video.  Suffice it to say it was bloody steep, with stairs at each turn in the switchback--like doing a stairmaster on the higher settings for 20-30 minutes. We carried on to the top of Mount Sentinel.  The middle third wasn't too bad, but the top was stairmaster time again. I wasn't drinking before the hike, but I definitely needed to replenish my vital bodily fluids afterward.  I believe we accomplished that at KettleHouse, located in a brick warehouse right next to the train yard.  The Eddy Out Pale Ale was just the ticket.

Front-of-building.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, digitallyhip said:

And some of you guys thought that Polarbear and I carried too many spare parts before!

delivery.jpg

You never know when you could get a rear flat that you can't repair on the road. Talk about being prepared and proactive. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, digitallyhip said:

I'm also wearing a condom. As usual.

You even brought a dog  ... didn't see him in Nelson. 

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Belfry said:

You even brought a dog  ... didn't see him in Nelson. 

I wasn't going to ask how he put the condom in.

• Member Contributer
On 2016-08-16 at 11:21 AM, superfunkomatic said:

You never know when you could get a rear flat that you can't repair on the road. Talk about being prepared and proactive. 

Good idea DH! I picked up a spare too for my journey back from the coast. Made it home without needing to use it. ;-)

medium.image.jpeg.31900ee0f7db832f1545ad

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 8/23/2016 at 9:53 AM, auggius said:

Good idea DH! I picked up a spare too for my journey back from the coast. Made it home without needing to use it. ;-)

medium.image.jpeg.31900ee0f7db832f1545ad

To bring everyone in on the joke: same wheel and (flat) tire.

• Member Contributer

I apologize for my late check-in; I made it home at 2am Aug 23 after 5700 mi.

I had a fabulous time with the crew in Nelson even if my dead battery caused me to miss the ride.

My BC tour went to Revelstoke from Nelson (after a four day wait for a new chain and sprockets ) then camped a couple of days in Yoho, a rainy trip to Banff, staying in the Backpackers Inn a couple of days after a very wet night at Two Jack Lake. Then up the Bow River Pkwy, back to Golden and on to Kamloops. Then the best of the trip: BC 12 to Lillooet and then BC 99 south. Stayed in Squamish then an afternoon in downtown Vancouver. Camped my way back to Nelson via CA 1 and BC 3. Main Jet did an oil change and I was on to the border at Eastport.

I was very sad to be leaving BC. Western Montana was great: US2 through Glacier NP and on east. Eastern Mont. and No. Dakota were the longest part of the trip. Brutal, straight-ahead, no scenery and no trees. A strong southerly cross wind made it even tougher.

The trip took it's toll on this oldie; it took me a week to recover.

Right now, I'm planning on making BC a yearly trip. Someone clued me to a first weekend in Aug. mc gathering that he called Sturgis BC. Mc s and music. That alone would be enough but add in the fabulous road, scenery and people and it's a no brainer.

So I will be back. Y'all have been warned.

P.S.1- No forest rat attacks were experience; I had to brake for a black bear and a crew of big horn sheep. Nothing scary. Hoo Ray!

P.S. 2- Where was Olive???!

Moon over fifth gen.JPG

Noxon Resevior.JPG

Campground on Noxon Resevior.JPG

Ranger with rack.JPG

Rider with rack.JPG

Glaciers.JPG

Yoho camp site 1.JPG

Yoho camp site 2.JPG

Typical campsite.JPG

Field watertower.JPG

Oh  Canada.JPG

Field intersection.JPG

Emerald Lake 1.JPG

Emerald Lake 2.JPG

Wildlife at Emerald Lake.JPG

Stormy Bow River Hwy 1.JPG

Stormy Bow River 2.JPG

Canadian Mountain.JPG

Canadian Glaciers.JPG

From BC 99 #1.JPG

From BC 99 #2.JPG

From BC 99 #3.JPG

Honey, look what I found! Only $3990.JPG

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
On 02/09/2016 at 1:58 PM, MarkinReno said:

Arman was passing through Reno!

20160902_085536.jpg

20160902_093348.jpg

Thanks so much for stay,  Mark! 

Still riding,  met a VFR rider from Chicago and we rode to Bryce then to Torrey. 

You meet the nicest people on a Honda VFR! 

Met a sheriff too,  and he must also ride a VFR.  ;) 

• Like 3