Worst Week Ever? You Decide!

thebigtea

Good Day-

I would like to find out if I just had the worst motorcycle and VFR related week ever?

First things first, coming home from work the other night on my 06 VFR I managed to avoid 2 deer but strike the 3rd. Dislocated two toes and strained some tendons in my right leg. I roll ATG most of the time and MOTG any other time. I was ATG that night but didn't go down. The deers body just smashed into me at about 45mph.

Damage to the bike was more severe. Headlight, front fairing, right fairing, bent radiator, rear fairing and blood and deer poo all over everything. I was able to ride it home though, so I thought....not so bad.

Called the insurance company and was eventually told that due to the 56k miles and the age of the bike (06) that it was a total loss. I was sad, but I feel like I was compensated pretty well.

Not long after I stumbled across a gorgeous 2003 in Red. I immediately bought that bad boy and rode it home. It was a 2.5 hour ride home and it rained for 2 hours of it. Half of that time was a incredibly powerful series of thunderstorms, which are a little rare this time of year in Wisconsin. The bike and the gear took it like a champ. Made it home only slightly wet.

The next day I hoped on the new bike, so full of excitement and just happy that I replaced one great VFR with another. Less than 5 miles from home what I thought was nothing more than a damp spot from the rain the night before ended up being an area covered in animal feces that was spread around by the rain. It was exactly where I needed to turn left and before I knew it my beautiful red VFR was sliding down the road. I was enraged at myself and incredibly embarrassed. I was able to pick up the bike and ride home but I was beside myself with anger.

In this wreck I suffered a mild shoulder separation and damage to the LEFT side of my bike. Fortunately it was fairly minor and the bike should be back to looking great in less than two weeks.

Worst week ever?

TL;DR - Hit a Deer on my 06 VFR, bought a 03 VFR to replace it and promptly crashed in animal shit. Worst Week Ever?

I will add some pics of both when I get home, work says no to imgur.

• Member Contributer

Probably not the worst week ever, I mean you walked away from both incidences, but sure as hell not the best week ever. Sorry dude, laying them down sucks. But, you know there are only 2 types of riders, those that have crashed, and those that will...

• Member Contributer

Hey Big Tea,

Yes... your week sucked more than most. but like others have said, it could have been much much worse. I have experienced first hand how bad the deer are this time of year in Wisconsin...its ridiculous really. In my time as a sales rep traveling up there, I always made sure that by the time the sun was setting my vehicle was parked! obviously you can't always plan that way, but I sure as hell did not want to be cruising around the back roads at night there.

I don't know if it will help you but I have a seat cowl in the classified section that you are welcome to have for free. Let me know where to send it and I will throw in a rabbits foot for you for good measure!!!

best wishes for a speedy recovery...and better luck this week.

• Member Contributer

Man! That sucks!!! But let's face it, if you didn't walk away from any of them, THAT would be the worst week ever. I still feel for you. But the mental aspect is something you can control, and work on, and you will be back on the road in no time from what you said. Another good point is that at least you ARE riding. I have insured my bike for the entire summer, and I have gone out only... three times. I guess I will not risk hitting deer with that kind of average... My only point is you are riding, and you are still riding, so it is not that bad--you could have died. But as I said, it sure sucks!!

Good luck and I fully support the "hunting for deer as a hobby" suggestion.

C

• Member Contributer

It's true (as others have noted) that any accident you walk away from is not so bad after all. However it's also true that crashing two beloved bikes in one week is a serious spell of bad luck. Back-to-back mishaps like that is simple injustice in my book. I'm glad you're well.

Wow, so sorry for a week that you won't forget ever...BUT your still alive to ride another day and thats the best news bud...bikes can be replaced more then twice *sorry*...what would be sad is you quitting riding altogether.....shit happens.

Hope your healing well....

;>(

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

As others have stated, I walked away and I walked away mostly unharmed. That is great, but man it sucks watching the bike you love get taken away on a flatbed =(

And the feeling of watching your brand new (to me anyway) bike slide away from you in a shower of sparks is one that transcends any amount of physical pain.

delta-

thanks for the offer good sir, but the seat cowl is in perfect condition! I may take the rabbits foot though!

• Member Contributer

Probably not the worst week ever, I mean you walked away from both incidences, but sure as hell not the best week ever. Sorry dude, laying them down sucks. But, you know there are only 2 types of riders, those that have crashed, and those that will...

Somewhere there is a heard of deer going "Worst week ever - I mean Bob didn't even make it across the road before being cut in half by that Kamikaze VFR pilot...I know it won't bring Bob back but at least Tony was able to drop a load in the middle of the road before the rain the other night. I know it is too much to hope that the VFR pilot finds that and get's some payback for Bob but at least it might slow down some of the other bi-peds."

Seriously though, deer are forest rats and with so may PETA-files around they now over populate and half of the ones that don't try to commit suicide in the road starve to death in the winters.

Glad you are still ambulatory and not too much damage to the new to you VFR.

• Member Contributer

That's a pretty bad week no doubt, look on the bright side, your OK and the damage is minor.

• Member Contributer

I just arrived back here in Colorado after 10 days in northern Wisconsin and the deer were extra thick this year. I don't think we went anywhere w/o seeing them. Fortunately, we were in a rental and didn't worry too much about them but there certainly is no shortage of 'em there. Glad you walked away from both accidents!

• Member Contributer

Seriously though, deer are forest rats and with so may PETA-files around they now over populate and half of the ones that don't try to commit suicide in the road starve to death in the winters.

PETA-files... You know I'm just itching for a chance to use that, don't you?

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I think I gotcha beat.

My wife and I put on over 60,000 miles riding together all over the east coast and Canada. In the past few years, she has had hip and knee operations which forced her to curtail her riding career and sell the Honda 450 Rebel that fit her so well.

I have had deer encounters, one of which left me with a separated shoulder too. Since then there have been at least 4 near misses on top of that.

Last Friday I made the choice to call it quits. At age 70, we just don't heal as well as we used to.

A guy came to our garage sale, saw the bike and said he wanted to buy it. He got back to me and we made a deal. My sweet 99 VFR is now gone to other hands.

So, we are now brothers in separation as far as shoulders go, but my separation from the VFR and riding again hurts a lot worse.

Glad you are ok and could walk away. Get the bike fixed and ride on bro.

I think I gotcha beat.

My wife and I put on over 60,000 miles riding together all over the east coast and Canada. In the past few years, she has had hip and knee operations which forced her to curtail her riding career and sell the Honda 450 Rebel that fit her so well.

I have had deer encounters, one of which left me with a separated shoulder too. Since then there have been at least 4 near misses on top of that.

Last Friday I made the choice to call it quits. At age 70, we just don't heal as well as we used to.

A guy came to our garage sale, saw the bike and said he wanted to buy it. He got back to me and we made a deal. My sweet 99 VFR is now gone to other hands.

So, we are now brothers in separation as far as shoulders go, but my separation from the VFR and riding again hurts a lot worse.

Glad you are ok and could walk away. Get the bike fixed and ride on bro.

Dang, I am sorry to hear all of this =( Both for your wife's surgeries and for your shoulder and of course for giving up on riding.

Archived