Lightweight Track Suspenion

klrtovfr

5 trackdays in Ive had two instructors refuse to bump me to intermediate because of the bike even though im putting in faster times than my intermediate friend on a gsxr750. They say my skill level is amazing and that I am outriding this bike. Im 142lbs without gear bike is 500 with 4.5galons of fuel. The front feels great with 10ml higher than factory spec using honda pro 5w. However the instructors are worried about my shock bouncing and basically drifting around the carousel.however it felt smooth to me except under braking in an uphill dip. What is the most reasonable solution? Correct spring rates for me? Will I be ok changing rear without touching forks?

• Member Contributer

Change the team you ride with. They have no right to restrict you on a trackday, if you are fast enough to not become a mobile chicane.
Upgrade the shock by all means, but they are just being snobbish because it's not a SPORT bike & will upset the willy wagglers.

Much different to me being high fived & congratulated by a real TT racer much to my surprise for being on the pace on a borrowed CBR600RR after 15 minutes of practice & running through Cramer curves @ Donnington Park circuit just below superstock race speed.
I got rider of the day for that on my 50th birthday :)

You can hear my loud instructor at the end of the session. The guy in the black alpinestars suit was on an ohlins equipped triumph 675r. The next guy on the white r6? was a ccs racer that had to be in novice as advanced and intermediate were sold out.

You cant really get an idea on the rear shock because the camera is mounted to the mirror mount but I feel like I was pretty smooth through the carousel.

Looks more realistic with 60 frames per second

• Member Contributer

My favourite track brings back a lot of great memories racing in the 80's . running 2 strokers and then 600 's were great times and got to ride with a few big names . Your times seem good and the bike seems to run well no reason not to move up to the next group.

Yes I am lucky to live so close to it. There were a couple 2 stroke gp looking bikes there. One he basically had a whole shop in his big van and he ended up tearing the motor down and rebuilding it at the track. Those 2 strokes seem like a tinkerers bike for sure.

• Member Contributer

Yes I am lucky to live so close to it. There were a couple 2 stroke gp looking bikes there. One he basically had a whole shop in his big van and he ended up tearing the motor down and rebuilding it at the track. Those 2 strokes seem like a tinkerers bike for sure.

Man that right hander right before Cont. bridge was awesome . Was that the course marshals with the orange vest on. Heck there more dangerous then the amateurs .

Roll On .

• Member Contributer

That was my instructor waving me through. I think he wanted to test me for outside passing in turns which is allowed in intermediate.

Test hmm I dont think you were the one that needed testing . Up shifts were great , the down shifts I have learn to blip the the throttle . It helps to stabilize the bike in the transition .

Roll On ..

• Member Contributer

Way to represent on the VFR. I really don't get how they could keep you in Novice, its not safe to have that kind of a speed differential between riders out there. Bad shock or no, you are riding the piss out of that VFR!

I would talk to Jamie at DMR and get a CBR 929 shock on your bike pronto.

Hopefully I see you at one of the Midwest STT days or another group. Your bike will be easy to spot! I am on a graphite Triumph Daytona 675 (older Gen1 model).

5 trackdays in Ive had two instructors refuse to bump me to intermediate because of the bike even though im putting in faster times than my intermediate friend on a gsxr750. They say my skill level is amazing and that I am outriding this bike. Im 142lbs without gear bike is 500 with 4.5galons of fuel. The front feels great with 10ml higher than factory spec using honda pro 5w. However the instructors are worried about my shock bouncing and basically drifting around the carousel.however it felt smooth to me except under braking in an uphill dip. What is the most reasonable solution? Correct spring rates for me? Will I be ok changing rear without touching forks?

Forgot to mention that if you do the shock and not the forks, it will be better but at that point it will highlight how the forks need to be done as well. You will notice a huge improvement with the shock change for sure.

What tires are you running?

I am running Dunlop q3 set at 31 cold. The rear had 1 trackday on and the front had 2 trackdays plus 3500 street miles.

There is an advanced rider riding two up that no one could pass but me. He had traxxion ak20 forks which explains why. I think it was a fz9 but not sure. He gave me a thumbs up at the end.

also I am running a 15/45 which is perfect for the 6th gen on any track including this high speed one. I was within 1mph of topspeed compared to stock 16/43. Still had about 1000rpm to go.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't obsess about what group you are in unless I felt I was in danger by riding with less experienced riders. Get your good laps in and you will be asked to move up. I have always been able to ride what group I asked to ride in. If I feel slower then pace, I move down, and vise versa. I always prefer to ride intermediate because of safety.

I would prefer to be at the slow end of intermediate. Tired of going to the same novice classroom and not being able to pass for 5 out of the 7 sessions.

just seems like a waste of money to me to get 2 semi clean sessions. I have a hard time working on improving anything going at a turtle pace. I have adhd so I tend to fall asleep if Im going slow.

i think i might know who that was that was 2 up - one of the guys on the FZ09 forum is an STT instructor, and his missus rides. Makes sense if she was pillion for a giggle.

I'll find out for you, see if he can do anything.

No promises, because i am on the other side of the planet, and have never met any of you.

Nup, it wasnt who i thought it was.

But he is an STT instructor, and i gave him a link to this thread to get his input for you. Not so he joins VFRD, but i dont mind passing messages.

If you're reading this vern, Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I would prefer to be at the slow end of intermediate. Tired of going to the same novice classroom and not being able to pass for 5 out of the 7 sessions.

just seems like a waste of money to me to get 2 semi clean sessions. I have a hard time working on improving anything going at a turtle pace. I have adhd so I tend to fall asleep if Im going slow.

Good point ... Plan on doing track day in October .

Thanks for the video and great info .

Roll On ...

He said it was a bit strange to not put you up to intermediate because of suspension.

If all the other stuff is ok ,consistent lines, fast enough to not become a mobile chicane, not acting like a goose on track (I paraphrased that bit) should be able to go up. Does the bike get a differnt tech inspection for the differnt groups or anything?

Thank you. Ive always been told body positioning, lines are perfect. I rarely get passed unless its a 1000cc. I do have 11 years of experience on this specific bike so I am comfortable putting it at near max lean angle and I can only guess thats why they all think Im going to crash. Its always mentioned at the carousel just past the johnsonville bridge saying the rear of the bike is not smooth, but I do not feel it while riding and you can see in the video that im not all over the place. It would be nice if the instructors would record video from behind so I knew what they were talking about.

There are different tech inspection rules for intermediate. I already have it safety wired and I wear a ce2 back protector.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If you can swing a shock...it will help. The Q3's are just fine for the track! I'd say youd out ride your suspension setup before you outride the Q3's...

Looks like fun.

Archived