5Th Gen Turn Signal Switch Needed

wagzhp

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know where I can find an inexpensive turn signal switch? I see them occasionally on e-bay but they are usually pretty pricey.

My bike is getting close to having 100,000 miles on it and this switch is giving up the ghost. I have cleaned it so well that you could eat (a really small meal...) off it, but the contacts are just too worn to work reliably any more. It works OK when the ambient temp is above 85, but anything below that is very hit and miss.

The outside still looks fine, so I don't really need the whole assembly, I just need a new (or newer) switch.

• Member Contributer

Let me know if you find two, I think I need one also!

Any of the Honda switch gears from that era should swap in, you may just need to cut the plug and wire direct.

• Member Contributer

Wouldn't a 6th Gen switch work?

I'm not sure. (Actually I have no idea) All of the replacements I've looked at in diagrams are the whole assembly, not just the switch mechanism. Changing over to anything later than a 99 would mean that I would lose the fast idle lever. (Not good since I ride year round)

• Member Contributer

Good point on the fast idle lever. Ok another SWAG - maybe some of the guts on the 6th would work.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I just haven't seen a 6th gen switch assembly for an inexpensive enough price to take the gamble on yet.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I just haven't seen a 6th gen switch assembly for an inexpensive enough price to take the gamble on yet.

Used Ebay?

• Member Contributer

I have an assembly from a 2001 on the way to me. I'll update after I've had a look at it. (It's supposed to have a block out insert for the fast idle lever that can be removed. If that is the case, then the assembly for the '00 and'01 can be used for all fifth gen bikes.)

• Member Contributer

I bought a LHS switch set off a later model Superhawk VTR1000F1 (2001 I think) and that is a visual dead-ringer for the one on my '99 VFR (and included a blanking ring to take the place of the fast-idle lever).

My guess is that Honda being Honda, the same part will be found in CBR600's and other models as well.Watch out for the earlier VTR models as they don't have the same parts at all

post-22267-0-46093700-1434946658.jpg

Mine doesn't work below about 45 degrees. I have been thinking about buying a new one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think they are about $50-60 new. People on e-Bay seem to want close to that.

• Member Contributer

Could the block-out from a 2000/2001 be removed and the lever from your current switch inserted? If so, I have an extra '01 switch.

• Member Contributer

He's already cleaned it...

But, yes, the parts should be very swappable. I'm not going to guarantee every switchpod will work, but I've swapped a bunch of Honda switchgear around over the years.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Could the block-out from a 2000/2001 be removed and the lever from your current switch inserted? If so, I have an extra '01 switch.

That's what I'm hoping. I bought one from a guy that is parting one out. It should be here in a day or two. I'll update the thread when I know for sure.

• Member Contributer

That's what I'm hoping. I bought one from a guy that is parting one out. It should be here in a day or two. I'll update the thread when I know for.

Did you positively destroy your switch overnight? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Mine doesn't work below about 45 degrees. I have been thinking about buying a new one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think they are about $50-60 new. People on e-Bay seem to want close to that.

Yep, that's how mine started out. I've cleaned it so many times that I've gotten pretty proficient at it, but now it's just so worn that it's hopeless.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. My pleasure. Seriously, I genuinely had a blast while serving. (Of course, I got out way back in '89, so there wasn't anything crazy going on while I was in.)

• Member Contributer

OK. The replacement '01 switch assembly arrived today. For anyone else with a '98 or '99, I haven't torn the original apart and compared them side by side yet, but it looks like the blocking ring and the fast idle lever should be interchangeable. So that means any 5th gen switch assembly should work on any 5th gen bike.

The exterior of the replacement switch I received seems to have come off of a bike that spent most of its life outside. It's really sun damaged. So I'll be tearing out just the turn signal switch mechanism and swapping it into my original housing. Hopefully I'll have the repair/experiment done by the end off the weekend.

• Member Contributer

I bought a LHS switch set off a later model Superhawk VTR1000F1 (2001 I think) and that is a visual dead-ringer for the one on my '99 VFR (and included a blanking ring to take the place of the fast-idle lever).

My guess is that Honda being Honda, the same part will be found in CBR600's and other models as well.Watch out for the earlier VTR models as they don't have the same parts at all

Oh wow, that image didn't show up when I viewed your post in tapatalk. Yes, that does look just like the assembly for the '01 and '02. (Which should fit all 5th gen bikes.)

• Member Contributer

Aaah Haaa! Victory! I now have a functional turn signal switch. (Or at least I know it works at 65°. Where the old one wouldn't. I won't know for sure until the cool weather returns, but the new switch works much more smoothly and engages more solidly.)

I had to pull the front cowl off to get at the connectors, so I took the time to clean everything up, and also replaced 3 blown gauge bulbs. Everything is all buttoned back up again, and the bike is good to go. Now I just need to retrain myself to start using my signals again.

The switch gear between all of the 4th and 5th gen bikes is confirmed to be the same, and the 2002 - 2005 VFR are the same too. And, it looks like CBR 600 F2 & F3 are identical, both the handle bar end and the connectors. (And there are a lot more of them available on eBay.) Additionally, it looks like the 1998 VTR1000 generation switch gear might also work.

From the images that I could find on line the connectors for the 2006 and later 6th gen VFR switch gear are different.

That wraps up my investigation. So for anyone needing a 5th gen turn signal switch refresh, there are several options out there.

• Member Contributer

Postmortem on the old one? Just worn out?

Yep. I had it apart many times for inspection and cleaning, and the last couple were complete disassembles, just short of un-soldering the switch from the loom. The contacts on one side of the switch were just too worn to make contact with their mates the other side, even with minimal amounts of lubrication. I read about someone adding solder to the contacts to raise them up and allow contact to be re-established, but the mechanical parts of the old switch were pretty sloppy too. I figured it wasn't worth the trouble to fix the electrical part of the switch only to have the mechanical part fail in a little while.

• 1 month later...

Wagz, do you happen to have the little ball bearing that goes into the switch from the switch you are not using? I tore mine apart and of course I lost that bearing. I would be more than willing to pay you.

• Member Contributer

Yep, I sure do. Do you want just the ball bearing, or the whole switch assembly? Shoot me a pm and we can arrange the details.

Archived