Vfr Made In Thailand ?

is this true ?

according to this review the new viffers arent made in japan anymore...kind of disappointing given the price....

"Build quality is indistinguishable from other Hondas you’ll see in this price range, despite the bike’s Thai origins (yes, that’s right, the first character of the VIN is M, not J—a first for a VFR?)."

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/12/md-microtest-honda-interceptor/

• Member Contributer

Interesting. Undoubtedly disappointing to some, but not surprising. It's been happening gradually with parts - my 6th gen's wiring harness has a sticker that says "Made in China" on it. The last 2 sets of Michelin tires I've received were made in Thailand. Ironically, after World War II up through the 1960's, anything that had a "Made in Japan" label was regarded as shoddy junk. Times change.

Not true for mine at any rate - I bought it in the UK last October and the VIN begins JH2RC79A4EK

J = manufactured in Japan, H = manufacturer code for Honda Japan, 2 = motorcycle, RC79 = model code for 2014 version of VFR800, A = version code for 2014 Euro version of VFR800FE, 4 = algorithm-calculated check digit, E = code for year of manufacture 2014, K = plant code for Kumamoto, Japan.

They may of course be manufacturing in more than one place but it would be a first for VFRs.

Not true for mine at any rate - I bought it in the UK last October and the VIN begins JH2RC79A4EK

J = manufactured in Japan, H = manufacturer code for Honda Japan, 2 = motorcycle, RC79 = model code for 2014 version of VFR800, A = version code for 2014 Euro version of VFR800FE, 4 = algorithm-calculated check digit, E = code for year of manufacture 2014, K = plant code for Kumamoto, Japan.

They may of course be manufacturing in more than one place but it would be a first for VFRs.

Same here - except mine has.......A6EK..... otherwise the same.

Mine is JHRC79U bought in Australia.

The dealer told me that the CBR650F was made in Thailand, but the VFR in Japan.

Mine has a "J", I havent been able to find any source of information about them "supposedly being made in Thailand" but that single article, so I dont put much stock in that article. Entry level bikes such as the cbr300, 500, 650, scooters, etc are made in Thailand for now.

When Motorcyclist first reviewed the CBR250 & 500's, they explained that to SELL motorcycles in Thailand, they have to made there. I don't know if that means that being assembled there is good enough. The second benefit was cost obviously. A CBR500 is around $7-8K and CBR600 (Japanese) $12-13K. Cannot imagine Honda building the VFR in Thailand.

• Member Contributer

What a howler. Never heard of Motorcycle Daily, and now I know why.

Ciao,

I was at my dealer getting state inspection and tires yesterday. The only cycles made in Thailand by VIN number were $8000 and lower, all VFRs, CBR600/1000, Goldwing, ST1300, etc etc are made in Japan.

Archived