Intake Valve Carbon Build Up

rydfly

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

And to think I nearly bought one of these bikes

Sooo glad that I went with an old 6th Gen for peanuts and put the rest of the money onto the mortgage

The sky is falling. Please believe everything you read on the internet because it's all true! I read today that a spaceship of alien creatures is going to land this evening with a 24 hr notice to leave the Earth or they will zap you. Please pack light!

• Member Contributer

Sooo glad that I went with an old 6th Gen for peanuts and put the rest of the money onto the mortgage

The sky is falling. Please believe everything you read on the internet because it's all true! I read today that a spaceship of alien creatures is going to land this evening with a 24 hr notice to leave the Earth or they will zap you. Please pack light!

Thank you for finding that warning on the internet, and to think I almost wasted my money and bought new tires for my absolutely trouble free 1200's today!

Magazines love to come up with shocking headlines to sell more copies. I am going to assume that article is BS.

I am trying to track and see if the VFR1200 has any real reliability issues, which I am doing in this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79653-if-you-have-more-than-50000-miles-or-80000-km-on-your-vfr1200/

So far nothing is looking systemic, and it seems the engine is very reliable. Please post in that thread if YOU PERSONALLY have experienced a failure, or have gotten to 50,000 miles or more on YOUR VFR. No 2nd hand stories please.

thanks.

Magazines love to come up with shocking headlines to sell more copies. I am going to assume that article is BS.

I am trying to track and see if the VFR1200 has any real reliability issues, which I am doing in this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79653-if-you-have-more-than-50000-miles-or-80000-km-on-your-vfr1200/

So far nothing is looking systemic, and it seems the engine is very reliable. Please post in that thread if YOU PERSONALLY have experienced a failure, or have gotten to 50,000 miles or more on YOUR VFR. No 2nd hand stories please.

thanks.

I personally have ridden over 54,000 miles on my 2012 VFR1200F. I was purchased Labor day 2012 and immediately ridden 1,100 miles home. I have had Al Lamb's Dallas Honda change the oil every 2,000miles and do all the services scheduled in the manufacture owner's manual (pre-paid service plan). It has never given me a lick of trouble.

I would recommend this bike to any who like to sport ride and tour.

• Member Contributer

Over 54,000 miles, too, with no problems. As stated earlier, I use Lucas fuel system cleaner every 3,000 miles or so.

• Member Contributer

So I suggest that as VFR1200 owners here on VFRD are racking up the miles and bring their bikes/do valve checks, "see" if they can take a picture of their valves?

• Member Contributer

Good idea. I'm in - next valve check (end of riding in the fall) I'll get some pics for both the 2010 and 2012.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

Thank you for finding that warning on the internet, and to think I almost wasted my money and bought new tires for my absolutely trouble free 1200's today!

Have you not heard of sarcasm ? You americans need to lighten up a little

• Member Contributer

Yup have heard of sarcasm, did not come across in your post when I read it. Apologies, which is actually a very Canadian thing.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The curious thing about Berliner's info is that these failures all seem to come from the same region. And those total engine losses are a lot different that people seeing stuff on their valves.

The most significant post in this thread is by the user who saw carbon build up at the first valve check and then a reduction of visible build up in follow up inspections with the use of a fuel additive. This would suggest if there is a carbon build up issue it can be dealt with by implementing a schedule of fuel treatments which is what I have done since the my 3rd change. And then of course there are all the owners building up lots of miles without issue.

My VFR at 11k miles has developed some sort of CCT noise at start up but I am not real worried about it and it may have started when I switched from 10W40 amsoil to 10W30 amsoil so I'll try to switch back to 10W40 and see if I still get it. Other than that the engine runs better now than when it did new. I've also never had engine oil that appeared so clean at the end of my oil change interval - 4k miles.

• 1 month later...

I always keep my rpm over 4k, with a dct engine, no problem so far, but barely getting to 7k miles, will get thru the summer and I will check my air filter, to much work just to post if higher rpm make any difference, I will post results December, I strictly use 10w30 Mobil 5000 conventional oil, the only thing I did with this engine is that I changed oil and both filters at 100 miles, 300 miles and 600 miles, the first time I found break-in deposits in the clutch filter, less on the second and clean the third time.

My 2010 just clicked over 50k the other day. Been great every miles. Couldn't ask for more. Now I have been very lax on checking my valves (I'm a bit overdue) but will snap some pics next time I'm in there. My last daily rider bike was a 06 GSXR600 that I put over 75k on. Every time I check the valves on her I was concerned with the amount of carbon on the intake valves. It looked similar to the pics shown. Mind you this was a bike that I rode mostly on the highway and it ran most of the time just over 8k rpm's for an hour at a time without rest.

And exhaust valves? Do they have similar problems? I worked on my sons motocross bike for 10 years never saw something like that. Sure it was only race bike.

Could it have something to do with cat and closed loop? I have the same looking intake valves, just changed the air filter and it's not that bad as in the pictures on page one. Have 60000 Km now. I will try a fuel additive to see what happens. Think about motorex Systemguard.

• Member Contributer

OK so fuel does not create carbon build up, so the issue is related to oil entering the system somewhere. From the pictures supplied & the total lack of any oil or carbon on the inlet track, I'd look at the valve stem oil seals as that looks like the only place oil could come from to make deposits JUST on the back of the valve !

My 800fi with 50K miles has super clean valve backs & only a little burn carbon marks on the throttle butter fly lips, so it's definitely the valve stem oil seals IMO. Either that or your piston rings are trashed but you would then notice smoke & oil consumption.

Oil consumption is zero. What i had , sometimes, is oil under the air filter. I think dealer put to much oil. So in the future if I see too much I will take it out.

same experience with Techron here. I use 1 of the small bottles in a full tank of gas before each oil change. I use top tier gas brands whenever available and have always used 93 octane since Honda rates the VFR 1200 for 91 octane or higher in the manual. I am running 12.4/1 compression on my VFR so I absolutely need the 93 octane and as few carbon deposits which can cause pre-ignition as possible. Another excellent product to clean intake valves and injectors is Wynn's Power Charge. I used this product on my Kawasaki ZX14 race bikes at the suggestion of my engine performance go to guy Brock Davidson .

• Member Contributer

I bought a leftover 2013 three months ago and already have 6,500 miles on it (you can ride year 'round in AZ, but most of the interesting roads are a long way from Phoenix). I'll definitely add Techron treatment to my routine maintenance.

I'm wondering how a PCV figures into this discussion. My bike is completely stock except for a Power Commander V, which I bought to get rid of the low-speed, low-RPM leanness which made the bike difficult to handle at parking lot speeds. It works as advertised. However, installation required disconnecting the stock O2 sensors and plugging in the Dynojet O2 optimizers. Does anyone have an idea of how the PCV might figure into this issue?

Much better to have a custom map. It will actually help and hinder this issue. Honda or anyone can say whatever they want. The ECU is programmed for everything which means it's not spot on at anything.

• Member Contributer

The curious thing about Berliner's info is that these failures all seem to come from the same region. And those total engine losses are a lot different that people seeing stuff on their valves.

This may be a very important observation.

I think about my 2000 Accord V6, which Every Farging Winter makes me utterly berserk with warm starting problems because of the newer winter gas blends here in the northeast US.

• Member Contributer

are the 1200's direct injection? This is a somewhat known side-effect of some direct injection motors, if so... Audi's and Copper Mini's come to mind...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

For what it's worth, I just got back from a two week trip to Germany. Speaking with VFR guys there, they advised me the coking problem is well known there but confined to pre-2012 bikes. Models 2012 and later were stated to be free of this problem. Not clear if there is substance to these statements.

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth, I just got back from a two week trip to Germany. Speaking with VFR guys there, they advised me the coking problem is well known there but confined to pre-2012 bikes. Models 2012 and later were stated to be free of this problem. Not clear if there is substance to these statements.

If they are giving you accurate info, that and all the other stuff we've read leads me to believe the issue was with a region specific fuel map.

Archived