Riding In The Rain

Took the bike to work today and got caught in some heavy rain on my commute home. Since Minnesota has two seasons, winter and construction season, and everyone forgets how to drive when it rains, I got stuck in LOTS of traffic.

I've ridden in the rain before so this is nothing new, but today I noticed something very odd. While sitting at a stop light, I noticed steam coming out the top of the fairing and fogging up the inside of the windscreen. I didn't think much of it as I just figured water was dripping onto my headers (or something hot). When out of the blue, steam came out of everywhere and I was engulfed by white smoke (or steam). If you have ever seen a car boil over, that is exactly what it felt like. Bike didn't run any differently, and my temp gauge showed 2 bars, but holy crap did it scare me for a second.

Has anyone else seen or noticed this? When I got home and put the bike back in the garage, the windshield started fogging up again... But that was about it.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

• Member Contributer

I share your general atmosphere and have never had that happen. I'd be alarmed also. So I'll now know to stay calm. But then again you have a bigger motor. Fifth gens immune??

I have ridden in the rain.Both warm and cool weather and never experienced this.Did you happen to drive through deep.puddles? Water might have collected in the lower fairing and splashed on the headers.

I think swimmer nailed it. It wasn't a downpour, but I assume the belly pan filled with water because I was stuck behind cars that were kicking up lots of water.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

i had it happen...there are a lot of places that water can collect inside the fairing/engine compartment...then it hits the engine and headers

I ride in the rain all the time and this condition is common. I notice it most when stopped and the radiator fan comes on. I think it is just hot steam blowing through there. No big deal. Looks kinda bad sometimes.

• Member Contributer

Yup same things happens to both bikes in a heavy rain, come to a stop and steam cloud erupts. Bike runs just fine during and after.

• Member Contributer

Most likely Demonic Possession...have the Bike Exorcized immediately...

+1

• Member Contributer

Haven't been in a heavy rain yet - will let you know how I fare when it happens (just light rains on the commute so far, no steaming... I'm sure the weathermen will get it wrong on the commute soon).

-Dan

I get that from different bikes occasionally. First time that happened, I though the radiator has sprung a leak. It did not. Just water gotten splashed onto hot engine/exhaust parts and getting boiled off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Last month, I bought the bike then immediately rode through 150 miles of constant heavy thunderstorms on the way home!

I don't really recall windshield fogging--though my helmet shield did *completely* fog over once at about 75mph riding through what seemed like a river of water below and torrents coming from above.

Pucker moment!

The shield had never done that before during years of rain commuting. So maybe there is some kind of steam phenomenon happening that affected the helmet.

But I learned on the first day of ownership that the bike will plow through water like a champ. Solid.

• 1 month later...

My blackbird and vfr do that at low speed or in traffic, the vfr have done it the only one time, the one and only time it's been on a wet road, but, it does every time I wash it, until it warms up and dries it self, on a different tread that steam helps to clean under the windshield with compressed air.

yes! mine does that too. i nearly crapped myself the first time it did that. pulled over to the pavement to check out where it was coming from. to this day i don't know exactly where it comes from, i just tend to ignore it now. when the bike moves a few miles per hour it stops coming out from the top, and probably comes out the side a bit until the water is no longer dripping/touching on whatever is causing it.

Archived