Damaged At The Dealership

Mattie660

Took the Viffer in for the 8k service and got the call to come and collect it, all done.

Get there, pay my money at reception, all smiles. Get taken to collect the bike, and he sheepishly shows me a bent front brake leaver, and mumbles something about one being on order and bring it back on Tuesday and they will fix it.

Devious, as the bike was parked so I could not inspect the right side of the bike. And they were trying to get me to ride it away with a brake lever like a banana - devious devious b....tards.

Now I am thinking the worst, has it been over on its side, will the fairing be scratched and the handlebars bent.

Very upsetting.

• Member Contributer

They didn't explain what happened? And you didn't ask for an explanation? I wouldn't have left with the bike without a thorough examination and complete explanation of what happened. And it would be a very thorough examination indeed!!

They wanted you to take it home with bent lever but you couldn't tell if there was fairing damage because of the way it was parked?

If I was my bike I'd have it on center stand.... looking it over with a finely tuned microscope... and the service manager bent over a barrell.

I left the bike there and refused to take it. I told them it was unsafe to ride with a bent front brake lever - and to give me a call when it is fixed. Good idea about the service manager - I will make sure he is there when I get the call to collect it.

Just get the feeling of being fobbed off with bullcrap !

• Member Contributer

I sincerely hope you left the bike in its spot, asked to speak to the owner and together inspected the entire bike.

Not sure with your bike but a 4th gen (rc36-2) on its right sight invariably means the foot brake pedal gauges the lower frame spar.

If they give you ANY lippy, phone your insurers and ask for legal advise.

Any of the fairing stays may have bent (a little) putting strain on your body panels.

You

Get

What

You

Accept

good luck mate

ah we crossed in cyberspace

so you left the bike

now phone your insurers

they can call in an appraiser

They are not those 'king cowboys Alvins in Edinburgh are they? :-)

• Member Contributer

+1 on the appraiser. These guys inspect things for a living and the dealer will have less to argue with a 3rd party. You might miss something due to anger or inexperience. Make sure the service manager or shop owner are there and they hear the extent of damage first hand from an appraiser. Demand that the bike is repaired with new, OEM parts, like it had when it arrived. Speaking from experience, this will result in the best possible outcome than if you try to handle it yourself.

• Member Contributer

I'm no so sure an appraiser is going to do much good since whatever damage he sees is going to be tough to prove that it wasn't there before you brought the bike in. It's a good idea, but I don't think it's very practical. If the bike was fresh off the showroom floor it would be different, but it has 8k on it.

The dealer says "It was like that when he brought it in", you say "No it wasn't". That boils down to the old "He says, she says" argument.

IMO you're simply going to have to work with the dealer on this.

• Member Contributer

If Mattie has full comp insurance on his bike, his insurer better step up to the plate for him and fight his corner.

The dealer has shown bad faith so I would get that bike fully checked over, have it repaired and never set foot in that dealership again.

unless at your next visit, the owner sees the error of his staff and you believe him. else find antoher shop to work on your bike or do it yourself.

All in all a very sad state of affairs, I just drank a measure of Laphroaig to digest it....

Laphroaig.........tastes like a delicious house fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice about the appraiser. And I will give my insurer a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Dealing with devious people !

Keep us posted. I'd be interested to hear the outcome.

On occasion I have invoked the support of the local BBB (Better Biznesss Bureau) and have had satisfactory results. The fact that the dealership as a bona fide repair facility (with safety and liabililty obligations) told you to take the bike with an obvious damaged part is suspect enuf to get the asses in hot water. Taking it a step farther, had the lever failed (broke) at a critical point on the ride, your safety would be at risk...no different from any other mechanical service done incorrectly.

Good luck getting everything sorted out to satisfaction ... putting a boot up their ass will improve that dealerships ideas of customer service.

Thank you all fro your help and advice. I got the bike back today, we have had a public holiday here so that has slowed things down a bit, anyway.

Got a call this morning to collect the bike. I mentioned on the phone to them that I was concerned there might be more damage than just a brake lever, if the mechanic had dropped the bike, and has been on its side. He confirmed the tank was okay, and there were no scratches and all was ok. I did all this really so that workmates could overhear, and would know that it was not me that had dropped it, but the mechanic at the garage. :biggrin:

So went up there and called in at the service desk, and the manager came out, and we went to get the bike and talk to the mechanic. Big guy wheels the bike out and I have a good look at it. No scratches, the fairing lines up ok, no paint off the bronze engine casing, other than a tiny little bit from operating the footbrake maybe. No damage to the handlebar endcap either, nor the exhaust or the footpeg or the rear brake leaver. Nothing, not a thing.

He tells me it went over as he was pushing it and he was partly underneath it as he tried to stop it going over - and hurt his arm. It just caught the end of the brake lever and that was it. He said that the pin holding the lever was not even bent. We had a bit of a laugh about it, and I said we had probably both seen a lot worse - trying to find some microscopic scratch seemed absurd. So I shook his hand and thanked him for trying to save it from damage. Just big relief it was all ok, as I was gearing up for a big argument !

Ordered a spare set of levers to take away on holiday as it takes a while to order if not in stock, and the levers bend very easily. It would be a major pain the the ass to have to wait days for a new lever, if the bike got damaged in some bike park whilst on holiday. So will take spare levers with me next month.

• Member Contributer

Glad to read thid but they should have been upfront about it....

• Member Contributer

now, there is a video on "happy ending", but since there is no mc content................ :goofy:

now, there is a video on "happy ending", but since there is no mc content................ :goofy:

Dutchy is showing restraint........ well done Leon! :beer: :beer:

They are not those 'king cowboys Alvins in Edinburgh are they? :-)

FYI Alvins went belly up quite a few years ago.

Archived