Damaged At The Dealership

Mattie660

• Member Contributer

They are not those 'king cowboys Alvins in Edinburgh are they? :-)

FYI Alvins went belly up quite a few years ago.

What goes around comes around.

I lived in Edinburgh 1989-1993...

Wow, thats messed up. Did you REALLY check it out when ya got home?

Same thing happened to me at Pro Italia with my 900SS......

Big honken scratch in my tank.

Heck !

Old dog has learned new trick - when dropping bike off at garage take pictures of it before you leave - that way they cannot say the damage was there before. Even mobile/cell phones have pretty good little cameras on them that can enlarge pictures quite big.

Took pictures all round when dropping the bike off today to have new tyres fitted in the next day or so.

Viffer%20at%20the%20garage_zpsnm9wcoh1.j

• Member Contributer

Yeah, so how do you prove the pictures weren't taken a week before when you dropped the bike and put that big scratch on there, and it didn't happen at the dealer like you're saying? It all boils down to "He says, she says".

Well, according to the EXIF data of the digital picture it was taken 13 May 2015 at 16:42 with a number sequence order with all the pictures taken before and after similarly date and time stamped in sequence order still on my phone.

And the picture taken outside their garage.

Must be better than nothing.

You lay Todays news paper next to the bike in the shots and then keep that paper until you pick it up

And if that doesn't work, you send them a 1980's ransom demand using letters cut out of the paper.

• Member Contributer

Really, anything digital can be tweaked. Big ole scratch? Photoshop. Big ole dent? Photoshop. Picture dates (EXIF data) are dependent on the device on which the photos were taken. If the device's date is off so are the dates on the photo.

I like the idea of the ransom demand though. LOL

Hi Mattie, do you have chain oiler close to rear sprocket?

What brand is it?

Hello Jussi - No, sorry that is not a chain oiler.

We are required by law here (Channel Islands) to display Insurance certificate on motor vehicles, so this is a little tube with the special certificate rolled up inside, so you can still read the numbers and dates on it. Sometimes a pain trying to find somewhere out of the way to put it and still be legal !

Really, anything digital can be tweaked. Big ole scratch? Photoshop. Big ole dent? Photoshop. Picture dates (EXIF data) are dependent on the device on which the photos were taken. If the device's date is off so are the dates on the photo.

I like the idea of the ransom demand though. LOL

I know what you mean. But a mobile phone like a smartphone sets the time and date according to where you are, even changes to summer time automatically. A picture can be emailed straight from the phone without it going through photoshop software - that would show on the EXIF data as well if it was modified - not what was done - but that it had been modified in photoshop.

You might have more than on picture as evidence, taken from slightly different angles. I think it is worth the 2 minutes it will take to walk round the bike and take 4-5 pictures of it from different angles.

• Member Contributer

Sure, it can't hurt. Anything to further your cause is a good idea. Just making the point that the dealer could blow it off if he wants to be an a$$hat.

Archived