'97 Muffler Choices?

• Member Contributer

Okay...the stock muffler just needs to go away....sooooo...all I have found is Delkevic mufflers our of UK.....how are these? And what other choices are there.....for a reasonable price that is.....not able to go with a full exhaust system....just need a different muffler.

OR...can I do something with the stock muffler? I just want a little bit of sound out of it...do not want it to super loud or anything like that.

Thanks guys.....wow....am I ever enjoying this bike!!!!!!

Lanny

• Member Contributer

Hey Lanny

Not that I am at all partial, nooooooo (not that) but I have the exact same slip-on fitted to both my 2000 VFR800 and the wife's 96 VFR750. Both bikes have an 18" Delkevic Stainless Slip-on and they both sound fantastic. The quality of the pipe is great, the cost was inexpensive (not cheap) and the pipe sounds glorious. As a matter of fact the Delkevic on my wife's 96 VFR sounds quite a fair bit better, with a slightly deeper and burbly tone. It is just loud enough to give the bike a more sporting and richer sound without becoming raspy or deafening. I usually run both bikes with the decibel reduced installed as IMHO it seems to sound a tad better that way.

I can shoot you a pic of my wife's bike with the Delkevic installed if you are interested.

Here is one photo that is located in my photo gallery. Hope you don't mind the model in the photo but my daughter loves posing on the bike. LOL

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/66035-angies-96-vfr/

• Member Contributer

zoomzoom....thanks for the pictures....."mind the model?"...not al all!....and that is the exact slip-on that I have been looking at getting for my '97. Problem is that this one and the Delkevic 14" oval are the only two that I have found and are considering. (Delkevic has a short one, but suspect it would be to loud).

I thought I would be able to find several to choose from, but so far not so.

Did find a couple of used ones on ebay....but never heard of the name before....so I will keep looking.

Thanks again

• Member Contributer

Hey Lannyl

As Yoshi mentions Two Brothers does offer a slip-on for the 97 VFR and it does sound very nice. The last time I looked on eBay the Two Bros slip-on was about $350-500 U.S. depending on the eBay vendor. They are more expensive than the Delkevic mind you so if you're on a budget the Delkevic is a very good choice for the price. Good luck with the search and ride safe.

• Member Contributer

As Yoshi mentions Two Brothers does offer a slip-on for the 97 VFR and it does sound very nice.

Not sure they actually still have them though… when I was looking a few years ago there were all sorts of ebay ads for two bros, but when I tried to order one they told me it was discontinued.

I ended up ordering a delkevic mid pipe (about $75 I think) and then attaching a two bros muffler I bought used. You could theoretically do the same thing and attach almost any muffler. The two bros was probably one of the harder ones actually because they use a different mounting system and I had to get a flange welded. But most brands just use a similar size slip fitting.

• Member Contributer

Hi Lanny, if you are interested I have a Delvic can sitting in my storage, I think I paid 150 for it a few years ago... Would be willing to let it go for the same price. let me know & I can send pictures.

Gary

• Member Contributer

As long as you have an (prefrably old bashed up) OEM muffler, you cut off the section that connects to the system.

Or any old mid-pipe (like this one from an old BOS system)

HPIM5463.jpg

and find someone who can weld and bend....

From there, only money is the limiting factor..........

HPIM0203-1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I went with SP Engineering located in the UK.

Really like the look and no noticeable manufacturing lable. Nice clean look and sounds great. Sorry for the cicadas racket in the background.

Baffle is not installed in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBifYFKGuw

Do SP include baffles with their cans yet? I had one of theirs on my Street Triple and the sound was great but was so loud, it was absolutely rancid haha

• Member Contributer

Do SP include baffles with their cans yet? I had one of theirs on my Street Triple and the sound was great but was so loud, it was absolutely rancid haha

yes, mine came with a baffle insert.......i usually have it installed

• Member Contributer

There's a D & D SS full system on ebay for a 4th gen thats $199 + s/h w/ 10 min to go

That was a two bros header with a d&d can.

The Delkevic would be a good choice if you can't wait.I had one that came with my 4th gen and can't say anything bad about it but I would hold out for something cooler to come up here or on ebay.

• Member Contributer

I absolutely LOVED my D&D slip-on that I had on my old '97 but I'm not sure they sell 'em new anymore. Check ebay as mentioned above. The D&D sounds very similar to the Delkevic video clip higher up in this thread. I was always getting compliments on the sound and people always wanted to know "What kind of engine is in that thing? It sounds like a V-8!"

The old D&D ---->

tn_gallery_581_5735_703857.jpg

If you can still find a used one, a enutniatS high right would always be a nice choice for a slip on system for a 4th gen......

i've had mine on my 95 since 1996 and it's been like the manufacturer says, a "pipe of perfection"

If you can still find a used one, a enutniatS high right would always be a nice choice for a slip on system for a 4th gen......

i've had mine on my 95 since 1996 and it's been like the manufacturer says, a "pipe of perfection"

What the heck is THAT???? I googled it and came up MT.

Out of control spellchecker, right? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Going with the Delkevic 18" that V-FORE offered me, at least for now anyways.

I thought I would be able to modify the stock OEM can like I saw on You-Tube...but got to a point and am stuck as to where to go with it....so I cav'ed and am going with the Delkevic. Hope it gets here quickly as I want to go riding, but have no muffler at all at this time and not ride'able.....and the weather is perfect right now!!!

For anyone looking at Delkevic, I bought one for my 97 VFR. They had three different lengths, I went for the mid-length one. With baffle in it is nice and quiet but with a lovely burbly tone. With the baffle out it's still not shreakingly loud, it's just right with a lovely over-run although I think it the engine is running a bit lean as there is a fair amount of pops and bangs when in 2nd gear at around 5000rpm. Anywhere else and it's fine!

I'd recommend them anyway, cheap and good quality.

• Member Contributer

News just in....

Available now for our beloved 4th gens

1 muffler, comes with 2 midpipes, one high up, one low for when you fit panniers.

post-8974-0-28204800-1430249795.jpg

post-8974-0-96335700-1430249818.jpg

I can find out how much it would cost incl shipping to the USA

DSC02432_zpsc3510924.jpg

DSC02434_zps0dbaef96.jpg

The high right slip ons usually have a mounting point at the passenger peg and another one near the end of the can to the rear subframe, where for some reason, Honda already provided a threaded hole for it.

Archived