Vfr800 With Oem R1 Exhaust (Debaffled)

e30dean

So I have had a few PM's and requests to post up a video of my bike with r1 exhausts. The final product is still a work in progress but here is a video of the sound comparison between stock, no exhaust and oem R1 debaffled exhaust.

Yeah, it looks like those are going to stick out way past the lights, or am I wrong? I want to be wrong, as I have a lead on a set. They have the race baffles kit on them.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it looks like those are going to stick out way past the lights, or am I wrong? I want to be wrong, as I have a lead on a set. They have the race baffles kit on them.

Looks like yes, but there may be some material that can be cut off at the end of the can. The endcaps look like they are just riveted on but I don't know the specifics of the internals on the cans you are looking at.

I stole this from an R1 site showing the exhaust with A&R race baffles. These look like your standard glass-pack type, which would be easier to shorten than an OEM multi-chambered setup (like the OEM 6th gen cans). To shorten, you would just cut the outer can and inner perforated tube, re-wrap with glass, and rivet the endcaps on. It will be a bit louder than the full length unit, but probably not as loud as those ridiculous "shorty" cans.

post-17890-0-45253300-1429202211.png

You guys are correct. They were sold to me as being stock but after I compared pictures I notice that they do have race baffles, I just dont know what type. My end caps are currently held on with screws so Ill be shortening it near the end cap and then using rivets to assemble it back to together. Ive shortened a couple exhausts in the past so this one should be quick and easy.

There's a guy on a SoCal motorcycle page n Facebook that is selling these for $80, EBay RaceBaffles and shortened. I have to figure out if I can find someone in my area to do the welding and bending. I'm in the thinking about it phase, so if anyone here wants to buy them, let me know and I can put you in touch with the seller.

gallery_25798_7191_12859.jpg

I'd like to see this done with an R1 subframe and tail swap too. Do you think this saved any weight? Those mufflers look huge, but I know that R1 exhaust are titanium.

Well I got around to shortening it 2 inches last night and it turned out perfectly where I would like it to be. All that is left is to weld it up, sand and paint it all black.

20150416_214901_zpsdnkro2pv.jpg

I'd like to see this done with an R1 subframe and tail swap too. Do you think this saved any weight? Those mufflers look huge, but I know that R1 exhaust are titanium.

Yes it did end up saving weight, about a total of 9lbs with the 2" off the r1 exhaust. I like the r1 tail but not looking into cross breeding this bike that much.

• Member Contributer

The length looks good.

If looking to do it cheap, I would do my best to get what is left of the brackets/welds off those cans and leave them with a brushed metal look. A drill and a 3m abrasive wheel do the brushed look really well.

Your preference of course, but on that mostly stock looking bike, painting the cans black might look a bit ghetto. If you want, pop the seat back on and take another picture. I'll photoshop the cans black to help you decide. The same angle and lighting you have now is good.

• Member Contributer

Here you go bud, I had some time to kill at the office today. Not my best work, but was a bit limited by the resolution of the template and the amount of effort I wanted to expend. I tried to bring the black fairly close to the tone of the endcap and preserve as much luminance as I could.

I take back what I said about the black before, it looks pretty good; but my preference is still for the brushed look.

post-17890-0-17960700-1429302204.png

post-17890-0-17915700-1429302213.png

Hey thanks for that!! I like the black as well and considering I have the high temp paint already from another project I just might do that. I definately like how they look brushed or polished but thats alot more work then Im willing to do right now. Im in CA so we have great weather for riding already so I would rather enjoy it for now. This next winter I have a few bigger projects I want to do so I might do it then.

• Member Contributer

I think everyone will have their own opinion on this, but my 2c is since they have the black endcaps anyway, paint the whole can black. Looks fine in the pic, and would probably look even better in reality.

I do agree though that if possible you should grind/smooth out the brackets on the sides of the cans prior to painting.

• Member Contributer

Very nicely done! IMO, this is the best looking exhaust system I've seen on a sixth gen. The video sounds great, too boot.

Are those the cans from an 04-06 or from an 07-08? It looks like you managed to use the stock R1 mounting hangers. What did you do for the y-pipe. I'm sincerely considering 'plagiarizing' your work!

rhoderage- The brackets on there have already been removed and smoothed out, that picture was when I was trying out the fitment. I definitely agree that they will look great in black.

mk3dub- The guy told me that they were from an 07 but I believe that they may be more from an 04-06. I did reuse the stock hangers but I had to re drill the holes 3/4" lower and cut off the top portion of the tab to line up the new hole. I kept the factory mid pipe and just cut them off right at the exhaust connection. I believe I have enough there to weld the r1 cans to the factory mid pipe, which I should find out this week when I get a chance to do it.

So I wont be able to finish it all the way seeing as a buddy of mine that went down will be in need of an exhaust. I will donate these to him to get him back on the road. Ill post the pics that I have to show how it would have looked like finished.

Archived