To 4Th Gen Owners With 5.5" Wheel & 180/55 Tires

• Member Contributer

What was the reason for switching, other than cosmetic for the 8-spoker?

Are there handling improvements?

Tire availability does seem to be better with the 180/55 v 170/60. I am thinking about switching for that reason if I can find a good used one. I would be happy with 5/6 gen wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Looks, to distract from my grey hair....

post-8974-0-97198500-1428177628.jpg

I donot recall any handling difference vs a 170 tire.

Never ever have a picture taken 5 minutes after you have granted your wife acces to your bank account. Grey hair has a reason.......................... :goofy:

At least you have hair!

You have one of the best kept & customized 4th gen around.

Where smart brains house, hair won't grow. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Can't say anything about the 4 Gen but I went to a 180/55 on my Duc which actually had 5.5" rim but a 170/60 tire specified. No adverse handling that I have experienced, hard to find pure sport tires in the 170 size, but ST tires still seem to be available.

• Member Contributer

Can't say anything about the 4 Gen but I went to a 180/55 on my Duc which actually had 5.5" rim but a 170/60 tire specified. No adverse handling that I have experienced, hard to find pure sport tires in the 170 size, but ST tires still seem to be available.

Bridgestone S20, Pirelli Rosso II, Pilot Power, PR4, Conti Road Attack and a couple others all available in 170. Not everyone seems to carry that size. JakeWilson is pretty good though.

Maybe if I ever get a 4th gen back on the road I'll swap the stock with the 8-spoke and see if I can tell a difference.

• Member Contributer

Bridgestone S20, Pirelli Rosso II, Pilot Power, PR4, Conti Road Attack and a couple others all available in 170. Not everyone seems to carry that size. JakeWilson is pretty good though.

Maybe if I ever get a 4th gen back on the road I'll swap the stock with the 8-spoke and see if I can tell a difference.

I think the key phrase that was missing is..."pure sport tires I would buy and that are in stock". I had Q2's on the Duc in the 170 but the Q3 isn't available in 170, the PP3 (which I like) also doesn't come in 170 and I'm not a big Brigstone or Conti fan but considered pilot power but prefer the newer version over the older one. I know the 170 exist just limited to certain make/models and figured go with the size that works with the rim size anyway. Although I like the PR4 on the VFR, it is an ST tire technically.

• Member Contributer

So it seems like the 8-spoke wheel swap is mostly for aesthetic reasons, and that there was no significant (if any) handling improvement with 5.5" rim. And that tire selection with sports tires is better.

I'm in Canada so my online purchasing options are more limited. But at CanadasMotorcycles.ca I found the 170/60 available in Michelin PP/PR2, Bridgestone T30, Continental Road/Sport Attack, Pirelli Angel GT/ST. So pretty much the popular options except the Michelin PR3/4 and Dunlop Q3.

So unless a cheap 5/6th gen wheel appears, I'll likely be staying with the stock 5" rim and the Michelin PP/PR3 combo. Not that it's all bad as the 170/60 is usually $5 to $10 cheaper.

• Member Contributer

I did the 8-spoke swap last year for the usual reasons; looks cool and more importantly the 180's have better selection and easier to find. I doubt it really did anything to the handling,,, even though I wanted to believe I was quicker w/ it.. LOL

• Member Contributer

I put a 180 on my SV650 trackday bike because it was easier to find trackday tires in 180 and race take-offs (3-4 7lap races work for severa trackdays). I never had an issue with the SV650 in terms of handling or wear...but then again it is 65+ hp and not 100hp...

Matt

• Member Contributer

That was custom made yes, the year Akrapovic launced the hexagonal.

Archived