Looking To Buy Another Vfr After 8 Years

guytimes

Hello all! I have a few posts here about the interceptor I had back in 2007. I had the bike for a couple years, then sold it. I've owned a few bikes since then, but none of them got me as excited as the VFR did. So I'm looking to buy another one.

If you know of anyone selling a 2003-2009 model (or 2014), I live in Louisville, KY, so I would perfer something within 5 hours away. I prefer a bike with under 10K miles on it, and it needs to be un-damaged. I have a few questions for some of your enthusiasts here.

1. is this a good deal? egay item: 331501831363 The guy is pretty firm on his price. He claims it is near perfect condition with no significant scratches or dings. Comes with luggage, seat risers, windsheild. Sounds ok, but the bike is 12 years old. Seems a little high to me for being that old? 16K miles

2. A new 2014 Interceptor (non deluxe) is 9800 before tax, but it is 10 hours away from me. Should I consider buying the new one?

3. I've seen the 2010-2013 vfr 1200, and don't really care for it. Are a lot of people liking these? Or was model this a flop for honda?

Thanks for any info you can provide. I've been out of the topic for 6 years!

Tom

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Be sure to check out fifth gen VFR800 (1998-2001). Best generation. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

The ebay bike seems reasonable. ABS, OEM luggage, and Sargent seat are not inexpensive add ons. I would pay an additional $1K+ for those items over the same bike without them.

• Member Contributer

Hello all! I have a few posts here about the interceptor I had back in 2007. I had the bike for a couple years, then sold it. I've owned a few bikes since then, but none of them got me as excited as the VFR did. So I'm looking to buy another one.

If you know of anyone selling a 2003-2009 model (or 2014), I live in Louisville, KY, so I would perfer something within 5 hours away. I prefer a bike with under 10K miles on it, and it needs to be un-damaged. I have a few questions for some of your enthusiasts here.

1. is this a good deal? egay item: 331501831363 The guy is pretty firm on his price. He claims it is near perfect condition with no significant scratches or dings. Comes with luggage, seat risers, windsheild. Sounds ok, but the bike is 12 years old. Seems a little high to me for being that old? 16K miles

Price is always in the eyes of the beholder and it depends on how much you want to spend. Personally, like Conedodger mentioned the options on the 03 from eBay easily add value to the bike because of their cost as add-ons. I would not hesitate at all to buy a 12 year old VFR, and as a matter of fact I have, twice even. Such great machines.

2. A new 2014 Interceptor (non deluxe) is 9800 before tax, but it is 10 hours away from me. Should I consider buying the new one?

If you can get a 2014 for a little less than double the cost of the eBay bike, why not, sounds like a good deal. As for the 10 hours away part of the equation, sounds like the perfect excuse for a road trip. LOL. Still kind of like the looks of the 2003 model mind you.

3. I've seen the 2010-2013 vfr 1200, and don't really care for it. Are a lot of people liking these? Or was model this a flop for honda?

Can't really offer an opinion on this one as I have only looked at and sat on one and never ridden one. Don't recall ever having the need for that BIG a bike as far as horsepower and engine size are concerned. Not to mention that when it comes to cost of insurance (at least here in Canada, the extra displacement makes a big difference on rate class and cost) the 1200 is more expensive to insure than the 800.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I've been out of the topic for 6 years!

Tom

Of all the bikes I have owned in my life I still think my absolute favorite is my 97 VFR750 with my current 2000 VFR800 running a VERY CLOSE second. I have thought about purchasing a newer bike many times but I really love the sound of the gear driven cams on my fifth gen and for me it is just a great bike that I doubt I could part with. Too many memories..................

Good luck with your purchase though and we look forward to the photos of the new machine. All the best and ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Agree with Mr. MaxSwell that you should take a look at the 5th gen also. Its fuel injected, has a sportier feel than the 6th gen, you CAN fit luggage to it (Givi or soft luggage) and it sounds DIVINE. If you don't think it sounds DIVINE then VFRs probably wouldn't be of interest to you anyways :)

I am in Indy by the way and will keep my eye out for some VFRs for you since your only 2 hours away.

• Member Contributer

Comparing the '03 with the '14 non-Deluxe is not quite apples to apples. The '03 has ABS and a centerstand which the '14 non-Deluxe does not. The '03 also has the other goodies on it - factory luggage, sliders, bar ends, laminar screen, Sargent seat. If you got a Deluxe '14 or '15 to get ABS and then added all the rest, you'd be in to it for quite bit more money. The '03 might be a tad rich on price, but it is nicely outfitted. Ideally I'd want an '06 or newer 6th gen, but that '03 looks like a nicely put together package.

I should add, I'm in agreement with the above - 5th gens are sweet. You wouldn't regret one.

Wow, I had no idea there were so many more fans of the older bike. Hey, I'll try anything! If the 03 silver bike were closer, I would probably jump on it. But adding the hassle and expense of shipping, kind of tips the scale.

I have definitely decided there is no reason for me to buy a new bike. I'm going to scour around for a 5th gen and see what I can find. Thanks to all of you for your wise advice.

• Member Contributer

For the price of the 2014 you could buy a used 6th Gen and a used 5th Gen! While the 2014 has some nice improvements, they are not significant enough to pay 2X the cost of a 6th Gen.

For the price of the 2014 you could buy a used 6th Gen and a used 5th Gen! While the 2014 has some nice improvements, they are not significant enough to pay 2X the cost of a 6th Gen.

maybe but if someone wants a new bike, you cant force them to accept anything other. If I had a nickel for every used bike that ends up with issues shortly after purchased it would be a good chunk of change.

Now if buying used, the 06+ would be the direction, cause they come with all the retrofits factory installed. Now I never considered the 5th gen sportier, looks dated and the motor was never enough reason to want one.

• Member Contributer

Echoing earlier comments, I'd far rather go for a 5th Gen than an early (02-05) 6th Gen.

I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as to say the 5th feels sportier than the 6th, in fact I'd disagree, the chassis/braking differences to the 6th Gen (at least this is the case on my 08 6th Gen) make it a much sweeter bike to push in the twisties. Clearly, suspension & braking improvements to either may change that perception. The 5th Gen has the better (nicer) engine which is far more tractable than the 6th Gen (without any engine mods) but steers & brakes far worse than the 6th and feels lardy by comparison.

The best VFR; a 5th Gen-engined 6th Gen chassis.

Oh, hang on, they did that and called it the 8th Gen! (stands back and awaits flaming!) :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Advantages of a fifth gen:

- Consumer Motorcycle News (the best mc publication) in its valuation guides at the end lists several top-ten statistics. In the 60-to-zero mph catagory the fifth gen VFR800 stops in a sixth-best 108.something feet. Most mc mags state a 120 ft. stoping distance is excellent. I can attest to some amazing emergency stoping distances. With no drama.

- Fifth gens have higher horse power and torque numbers and lower weight.

- And it has Gear Driven Cams. Such a sweet sound to go with that V4 rumble

- through a single lower-center-of-gravity exhaust/silencer with a much better sound.

As for appearances, while not "modern", to my eye it is much more aerodynamic and it's rounded shape is more organic. Beautiful!

And they can be had for lower prices.

:wub:

I'm enjoying all the discussion I'm seeing here! It seems there are some die hard 5th genners around here. I don't know if I can handle that 90's tail!

While we are on the subject, what is the difference between the early (02-05) 6th Gen, and the late (06-09) 6th gen? I know the vtec was smoothed out, but anything else significant?

I found this deal today on craigslist, which is in driving distance for me. 2008 gray, with 4600 miles. Love the color. Search google for 4927947826

The guy says there isn't a scratch on it. It is stock except for helibars. No ABS. No other add ons.

• Member Contributer

That looks like a real winner. The 06 and onwards had the vtec transition adjusted and some upgraded modifcations to the stator and or R/R. It also has clear turn signal lenses on the front and rear.

• Member Contributer

Not sure that I agree with those saying the 5th gen is not sportier. I can rip down a twisty back road with more confidence on my 5th gen than my 6th. Your results may vary of course. But with very equal suspension mods done to both bikes (JMR forks front/ Ohlins rear) and Pirelli Angel GT tires, I feel like the two are set up in a way that one can logically compare them. Both also have Heli Bars and Sargent seats.

The 5th gen feels narrower (and it is- I just swapped a 5th gen tank on my 5.5 project for a 6th gen and you can feel the difference in width), it is lighter (subrame/ exhaust), and has a smaller fairing (obvious). Its more "flickable" and gives me better feedback than the 6th gen. The 5th engine has more snap and grunt at any rpm, at any time.

Now, I am not saying that the 6th gen isn't a great sporting machine. Just that IMHO the 5th gen leans more towards the sport side of the sport touring balance, and the 6th gen leans more towards the touring side of that.

And most importantly- I love both of them :)

• Member Contributer

Come on you preferred gen posts.....all gen vfr's are great bikes! Enjoy the bike no matter what gen for what it is! They all have their pros and cons! Just enjoy what puts a smile on your face! That being said the 4th gen is currently what is my fav.....lol!

• Member Contributer

I don't know what's wrong with me . . . if I were smart I would be bashing 5th gens . . . discourage interest, drive down the price and corner the market on them for myself! :ph34r::goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have put more than a few miles on the latest model and after having all gens would say it is the best ,little narrower motor pulls really well and with a few adjustments suspension works well. It seems to be a culmination of both 5th and 6 th gen bikes .

I went to the dealer today and sat on a red 2014 VFR. I like the design of the dash and handlebars. But the rest of it... I'm not really impressed... looks wise. I didn't ride it, so I can't compare it, performance wise.

The new one seems smaller than the 6th gen; more sporty. Part of me likes the biger bike, and I like the way the 6th gen looks better.

I found another bike closer to home. In new condition but 12 years old: http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4938777572.html

• Member Contributer

no affiliation. not sure of the mileage. the staintune pipes sound lovely

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4939695199.html

looks to be in good condition, and unless it has a ton of miles on it, a very fair price.

• Member Contributer

I went to the dealer today and sat on a red 2014 VFR. I like the design of the dash and handlebars. But the rest of it... I'm not really impressed... looks wise. I didn't ride it, so I can't compare it, performance wise.

The new one seems smaller than the 6th gen; more sporty. Part of me likes the biger bike, and I like the way the 6th gen looks better.

I found another bike closer to home. In new condition but 12 years old: http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4938777572.html

That looks great. With that few miles it will probably need new tires if they are over five - six yr old. Battery? Fluids? There was a recall on early sixth gens. Did it get done?

Archived