Powder Coating Wheels

LisaF

My local Honda dealer mechanic told me that I absolute should NOT powder coat my wheels because it adds too much weight to the wheel. Guys, I'm a old gal and don't think I'm going to Trackdays to race anytime, ever. Is this an issue? Is my chain being yanked?

Thanks Guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Hahahahaha! First time I've ever heard that one. NO, it's not true, the application process assures it's evenly coated and you are talking a fraction of an ounce of additional weight. This is why I do all my own work.

• Member Contributer

Dont they come from honda powder coated...

I think they are painted with rim paint from the OEM.

... the application process assures it's evenly coated and you are talking a fraction of an ounce of additional weight. ...

I don't think it is alot of weight but I thought it was more than a fraction of an once?!? It is a substantial coating, no? Has anyone weighed a before and after?

• Member Contributer

Dont they come from honda powder coated...

I think they are painted with rim paint from the OEM.

... the application process assures it's evenly coated and you are talking a fraction of an ounce of additional weight. ...

I don't think it is alot of weight but I thought it was more than a fraction of an once?!? It is a substantial coating, no? Has anyone weighed a before and after?

Yes.

Typically adds 3oz per wheel.

Though when having mine powder coated, when i picked them up I was told they applied 3 heavy coats for smooth even appearance. Weighed and had added 12oz per wheel.

Took back and specified that I only wanted one coat and that weight was a major consideration. They powder coated with one light textured finish coat and did not powder coat under tire portion of the rim which i had to sand to get tire to seat, but now weighs less the when i started.

Wow, I'm shocked that at the 12oz per wheel weight difference. When I do this, I'll make sure I get the one coat application.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I've stripped a bunch of modern sport bike wheels. They were all powder coated or painted with urethane paint. None were very thick.

• Member Contributer

Painting always looks better. Best combination I have found for looks and strength (resistance to chips and scratches) is to paint them then powdercoat the clearcoat on. You get the benefits of both that way.

• Member Contributer

Hey, I've two coats of powdercoat on mine (it's how black chrome is done, gives it a pewter like finish) and I can't say it made any difference in handling or tire wear. Given what a mounted wheel weighs, is 3 oz additional a deal breaker?

• Member Contributer

Painting always looks better. Best combination I have found for looks and strength (resistance to chips and scratches) is to paint them then powdercoat the clearcoat on. You get the benefits of both that way.

Is there any particular type of paint you found that works well to withstand the powdercoat cure process?

• Member Contributer

Is there any particular type of paint you found that works well to withstand the powdercoat cure process?

My wheel guy is in Washington state. Met him while I lived there. Give him a call. He's a good guy and will steer you towards a solid product. Russ, 425-433-0712. Custom Classic. He specializes in motorcycle painting. Probably the best guy on the West Coast for painting bikes.

Archived