My Turn For The Stoopid Wires

hilbily

2008 model 27000 miles -

I was going to wire up a Fuzeblock so that I can install a Blues Sea USB socket, a voltmeter, and my Autocom. Start looking things over.

Main 30 amp fuse holder brown on one side, well crap.

post-28147-0-10227200-1425320800.jpg

Pulled the starter magnet connection and one of the connections corroded and the connector burnt, well double crap.

post-28147-0-43122900-1425320828.jpg

So i have decided its time to cover my butt. Will run the drill ASAP, Will order the VFRness as soon as I get a few spare bucks, will check the R/R yellow wire connection and correct (not sure what route to take with that one yet, soldier, Posi-Lock connectors, or stator hardwire kit from wiremybike). Hopefully I caught things before more damage is done and its a good thing there is still snow on the ground. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement connector for the starter magnet?

• Member Contributer

As long as you're at 'the drill', you might try some Oxgard. I've used it on my '08 and so far all my connections look perfecto. I'm trying out Posilocks on my new stator - Shhhh . . . :ph34r: - I'm keeping a close eye on them and will replace with Tightwads hardwire kit if I start to have any issues. I went up 1 size to the yellows for 10 to 12 ga wire. I've had such good success with them in other applications I thought I'd give them a try.

81RY1BEsYTL._SY355_.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hilbily,

Thanks for posting this! I'm new here and getting my feet wet with all of the "to do" stuff for my VFR. I'm currently reading all of the pinned topics in the electrical section.

I am going to consider myself "lucky" at this point. Didn't have time to run the drill last night but did pull the right side fairing and pulled connectors, no signs of melting, burning, corrosion, nada. Still thinking about replacing with the Posi-Locks or a direct solder. Will make a decision once I have run the drill. At this point not sure the VFRness is needed but I do want to get a repalcement connector for the starter magnet and change the 30 amp main fuse holder.

post-28147-0-91696500-1425390738.jpg

post-28147-0-79905000-1425390765.jpg

• Member Contributer

In my experience, the VFR electrical systems shortcoming is mainly in the connectors. The previous owner of my bike had installed some type of aftermarket wiring kit (not sure if it was VFRness). It was way overkill...the wire gauge was excessive for the amperage. I tore all that out and wired back to stock with a redundant ground. That was 4 years and 53,000 miles ago. no melted wires yet. Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

I am going to consider myself "lucky" at this point. Didn't have time to run the drill last night but did pull the right side fairing and pulled connectors, no signs of melting, burning, corrosion, nada. Still thinking about replacing with the Posi-Locks or a direct solder. Will make a decision once I have run the drill. At this point not sure the VFRness is needed but I do want to get a repalcement connector for the starter magnet and change the 30 amp main fuse holder.

Posi-locks? Those ridiculously bulky, bodgy wire taps some people seem to think are the dog's danglies? You must mean something else! There are plenty of decent, environmentally sealed connectors out there to choose from, such as the ones Switchblade linked to. I have been happy with the Delphi Metri-Pack series, but you do need to buy almost in bulk sometimes. Good luck.

Ciao,

Got it all cleaned up and hooked back up. Replaced the red starter connector with a new one. Took it out for about a 2 mile run yesterday. New volt meter was indicating 14.1 volts at idle and never changed up to 6k or 7k with low beams on. Flipped on the high beams and I dropped to 13.8 volts. Would these numbers alarm anyone else? I still plan on the VFRness and removing/replacing the yellow wires connection.

My 5th gen runs about 14.1V at speed and drops to 13.8V at idle. I had the stator rewound when it failed and asked for the high output. I also have a FH020 regulator. The yellow wires are crimped and soldered and I have a VFRness. The bike has always had voltages similar to this (except when the stator started to fail at 68k miles), so it is "normal" for my bike and I don't worry about it.

those numbers are fine. I would only worry if they began to drop. Usually an indication of trouble is when they begin to drop as the engine gets hotter.....that means the stator is going out.

• Member Contributer

Posi-locks? Those ridiculously bulky, bodgy wire taps some people seem to think are the dog's danglies? You must mean something else! There are plenty of decent, environmentally sealed connectors out there to choose from, such as the ones Switchblade linked to. I have been happy with the Delphi Metri-Pack series, but you do need to buy almost in bulk sometimes. Good luck.

Unless I'm the one wildly misunderstanding something, the stuff that Switchblade linked to (at Eastern Beaver) is meant for a totally different purpose. I've never heard anyone have anything bad to say about Posi-Locks and Posi-Taps. What's the gripe??

Moving along... If something is gonna be soldered, learn about the Western Union splice. Works OK on most motorcycle -sized gauges of stranded wire. Use marine-grade (inner coated) shrink tubing over the splice for trouble-free performance in all weather.

If you're gonna crimp, buy the right tool and dies for the crimp connectors you're going to use, and make sure you know how to crimp correctly. Crimps are incredibly strong if done right. And again, stick with marine-grade stuff. There really is a difference.

• Member Contributer

"Unless I'm the one wildly misunderstanding something, the stuff that Switchblade linked to (at Eastern Beaver)"

These are made for

furukawa_3P-250_1028.jpg

ElectroShindenen 001

Eastern Beaver connectors are made for the R\R on the right , Shindengen's R\R.

Unless you are rewiring everything, the Shindegen R/R ends up with another connection to adapt it to the bike. I find that a good OEM style Mosfet R/R is perfect and solves that issue.

If your stator connector is that clean, don't change it! Usually a bad Stator connector is caused by corrosion or a stator beginning to fail.

Archived