6Th Gen - Thurn Led Tailight

Skids

• Member Contributer

As an alternative to simply replacing the standard rear bulbs with LEDs (which doesn't appear to work, at least not so far), has anyone fitted one of Thurns LED rear clusters and could give any feedback on their fitting & performance?

95-LRG246-gesamt.jpg

• Member Contributer

Holy Carp! Please tell me that's not a license plate on that bike! Looks like a streetsign. :goofy:

Totally clear rear light looks good though. :fing02:

It's a German plate methinks.

• Member Contributer

That's the sharpest-looking 6th gen. I've ever seen.

Just like this is the sharpest-looking sports car I've ever seen (the just-announced-today 2015 Ferrari 488 GTB). I don't what the hell's in the drinking water in Italy, but they've got the best-looking cars, motorcycles, and women anywhere. As for the latter, sometimes I wish I were back in Brooklyn or Staten Island for that reason alone.

post-8583-0-07028200-1422997485.jpg

post-8583-0-24862200-1422997516.jpg

• Member Contributer

I tried to order one around November from Thurn (the medium smoke I belleve) and was told that they no longer had them, which I thought was strange.

always up for a challenge though. so I tracked these down and they look pretty damn similar. Talk to Alexandria, she was very friendly and helpful. I ended up with the medium smoke, and they look pretty awesome in person. I should have some pics of them installed soon.

http://www.riffgmbh.com/TAIL-LIGHTS-187/TAIL-LIGHTS/TYPE-SPECIFIC/HONDA-125/LED-Tail-Light-Honda-VFR-800-V-TEC-RC46--2007-2009--smoked-lens.html

they were not cheap, it worked out to be about $200 USD with shipping. Which is comparable to the stock HOnda OEM '06+, and they look even more trick.

post-24302-0-49214500-1422998722.jpg

• Member Contributer

I tried to order one around November from Thurn (the medium smoke I belleve) and was told that they no longer had them, which I thought was strange.

always up for a challenge though. so I tracked these down and they look pretty damn similar. Talk to Alexandria, she was very friendly and helpful. I ended up with the medium smoke, and they look pretty awesome in person. I should have some pics of them installed soon.

they were not cheap, it worked out to be about $200 USD with shipping. Which is comparable to the stock HOnda OEM '06+, and they look even more trick.

Thanks for that link.

How are they compared to OEM? Pics would be appreciated.

Thanks. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that link.

Electrical is the next step in my project. Soon... I am looking forward to seeing them myself.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80091-hybrid-vfr-5th-gen-with-a-6th-gen-subframe/

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that link.

Electrical is the next step in my project. Soon... I am looking forward to seeing them myself.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80091-hybrid-vfr-5th-gen-with-a-6th-gen-subframe/

Ah, all becomes clear......unlike the lens.

Thanks.

Although mine is a 5thGen, it's probably (somewhat) relevant to comment anyway. After breaking my taillight on the last day of work last year (by parking the bike with the tail about 1cm to close to the block wall of the parking garage at work before hoisting it onto the centrestand), I decided a refresh was in order. All up, I think the total cost for taillight, new flasher unit and clear front indicators was slightly more than buying an OEM taillight on its own. The taillight wasn't in stock, so had to be made (I have a suspicion the work is outsourced, but don't know for sure). Whatever - I had a wait of several weeks before it arrived.
While I'm pleased with the look, I'd have to say the quality is nowhere near OEM. The front left indicator shell wasn't glued to the lense, but I didn't want another long wait, so I used some sealant to fix it. Fitting the taillight was tricky, as you have to plug the wires for the unit into one of the existing plugs, then fit the plug into the shell. The plastic is a little thinner, and the sockets for the plugs are not well moulded, and thin and brittle, so don't bode well for a long life. (On the plus side, unless you need to remove the taillight for some reason (like I did this week, to take the tail cowling off), you won't be doing this very often, due to LEDs expected superior lifetime.) Also, you can see the circuit boards and wiring for the LED panels through the taillight lens.

Performance and appearance wise, they are very good: quite bright and visible.

Hope this helps.

As an alternative to simply replacing the standard rear bulbs with LEDs (which doesn't appear to work, at least not so far),

Huh?

I've read of several members converting to LED with little or no problem. If converting turn signal they had to change flasher module. If converting run/brake light, it is simple... I've done it myself with drop in LED bulbs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FCPZLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put these LED bulbs on my 07 and they worked really well. I was so happy with them, I even posted a review on Amazon, which I rarely do. They were still working flawlessly 2 years later when I traded it in on my new VFR.

• Member Contributer

I forget who makes this one, but it's an alternative for those wanting something different.

That one was made by Free Street Design and I assume they're gone. Can't find a website for them.

• Member Contributer

As an alternative to simply replacing the standard rear bulbs with LEDs (which doesn't appear to work, at least not so far),

Huh?

I've read of several members converting to LED with little or no problem. If converting turn signal they had to change flasher module. If converting run/brake light, it is simple... I've done it myself with drop in LED bulbs.

I clearly hadn't exhausted all possibilities then. I bought a couple but they were dimmer than OEM bulbs.

Do you have a link to the bulbs you bought?

Although mine is a 5thGen, it's probably (somewhat) relevant to comment anyway. After breaking my taillight on the last day of work last year (by parking the bike with the tail about 1cm to close to the block wall of the parking garage at work before hoisting it onto the centrestand), I decided a refresh was in order. All up, I think the total cost for taillight, new flasher unit and clear front indicators was slightly more than buying an OEM taillight on its own. The taillight wasn't in stock, so had to be made (I have a suspicion the work is outsourced, but don't know for sure). Whatever - I had a wait of several weeks before it arrived.

While I'm pleased with the look, I'd have to say the quality is nowhere near OEM. The front left indicator shell wasn't glued to the lense, but I didn't want another long wait, so I used some sealant to fix it. Fitting the taillight was tricky, as you have to plug the wires for the unit into one of the existing plugs, then fit the plug into the shell. The plastic is a little thinner, and the sockets for the plugs are not well moulded, and thin and brittle, so don't bode well for a long life. (On the plus side, unless you need to remove the taillight for some reason (like I did this week, to take the tail cowling off), you won't be doing this very often, due to LEDs expected superior lifetime.) Also, you can see the circuit boards and wiring for the LED panels through the taillight lens.

Performance and appearance wise, they are very good: quite bright and visible.

Hope this helps.

Which make of taillight did you get?

Huh?

I clearly hadn't exhausted all possibilities then. I bought a couple but they were dimmer than OEM bulbs.

You originally said, "doesn't appear to work". That's absolute, ON or OFF; works or doesn't work. Now you're saying, "they were dimmer". That's subjective, unless you have some sort of quantitative way of measuring brightness.

Anyway.... Here is the link that brought me, and several other members, to LED tail lights. My primary motivation was reliability. I do, however perceive them to be at least as bright as my filament bulbs were.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78803-new-red-led-tail-lights-ya-gotta-be-blind-not-to-see-me-stopping/

• Member Contributer

Huh?

You originally said, "doesn't appear to work". That's absolute, ON or OFF; works or doesn't work. Now you're saying, "they were dimmer". That's subjective, unless you have some sort of quantitative way of measuring brightness.

Anyway.... Here is the link that brought me, and several other members, to LED tail lights. My primary motivation was reliability. I do, however perceive them to be at least as bright as my filament bulbs were.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78803-new-red-led-tail-lights-ya-gotta-be-blind-not-to-see-me-stopping/

It was your thread that put me onto those type of bulb, though I searched for a UK supplier rather than pay the overseas postage.

They "didn't appear to work" ......for me, I should have put, sorry. Dimmer than OEM as far as I could tell and one bulb stopped working almost immediately.

I bought a Thurn, plus the matching clear indicators and a new flasher module.

Any comment on them?

One of my questions was regarding the flasher module.....I wondered if it was integral but clearly it wasn't?

Hi Thank you very much contact for Carrozzeria Wheels.

<VFR800>

We discontinue VFR800 wheel set 4 years ago.

Because cost so high with center lock(RC30 ) type rear wheel spec.

And special adapter for center lock was little heavy & high cost.

We have no idea/no schedule for to make VFR/CB1000 type rear wheel.

Sorry for that.

CARROZZERIA USA INC

950 Dovlen Pl. Suite C

Carson, CA 90746

(310) 719-2271 - FAX (310) 719-2272

www.forged-wheel.com

The link earlier in thread does appear to have slightly different wheels, if you have $2500+ disposable income, but that is both wheels and Galfer wave rotors.

One of my questions was regarding the flasher module.....I wondered if it was integral but clearly it wasn't?

No, they said on their website that if you ordered LED indicators, you would need a new flasher relay. It's because the OEM one relies on the resistance of the incandescent bulbs for the right flash rate; if you fit LED bulbs they flash way too fast.

• Member Contributer

I like the lights, but that wheel tho! I almost want to have sex with it!

That is hella cool! I would love to have one!

:offtopic:Lint, any chance of you reducing the pictures in your sig line?

her a screenshot of how they take about half the screen...

post-8974-0-92246500-1423207558.jpg

I actually have the thurn led tail light on my 6th gen, for the cost it is rubbish. The connectors it comes with so you don't need to modify standard harness are useless as the connections fail from vibration. I removed them & fitted my own connectors but also had wiring failures at the solder connections at the led pcb which I had to fix which required cutting access. At a guess thurn prob stopped selling them due to all the returns but I didn't return mine as I found thurn a pain to deal with. There led front turn signals which I also bought are fine.

vtec Leo evo

Archived