Big Girl Needs Some New Shoes

• Member Contributer

Hey guy's I have a set on Michelin Pilot Road 2's and have loved them for almost 10K and now it's time for some new shoes, does anyone have a lead on where I can get a set cheap? I don't want the 3's for 4's because I don't ride in the rain.

190/55/17 and 120/70/17

• Member Contributer

Give your local dealer a chance to earn your business before you just give it to the big online stores. If we don't support the local brick and mortar stores where are we going to go when they are all gone? Some stores won't match, but alot of stores will. Just ask. And unless you have your own mounting/ balancing equip, be sure to take that into consideration when you look at their sale price. Alot of shops wilil give their customers a break on mounting and balancing if they buy the tires from them.

• Member Contributer

+1 to that. We have a small independent shop locally that services all brands (just 2 guys working on bikes) and they have fair prices on tires. Not cheaper than on-line, but when mounting is included, fair. If like me you mount your own, barring a smokin' sale or coupon, from what I've found Jake Wilson seems to have consistently the lowest everyday prices on Michelins that I can find. The last PR2's I got from them had a date code about 4 months old, so they do seem to have fresh inventory.

• Member Contributer

Good call - I forgot about the free shipping . . . ! J.W. ships from Payson, UT south of Salt Lake City. In the Western US states (including AZ, UT & CO), they use a shipper called "OnTrac", which I had never heard of (but have since noticed their trucks on the interstates). They have 1 day shipping to the neighboring states and I believe 2 day shipping further to the Northwest. I called J.W. prior to ordering to confirm the ship date, and they were right on the money - tires arrived the day they said they would. The phone reps were very friendly - the service was as good as the price.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

for comparison , i just bought a PR4 front tire from Rocky Mt a couple weeks ago....they were the cheapest at the time $134.00 for a 120/70Z-17 free shipping...my local guy charges $40.00 cash to mount and balance and he'll usually do it right as you walk in

Give your local dealer a chance to earn your business before you just give it to the big online stores. If we don't support the local brick and mortar stores where are we going to go when they are all gone? Some stores won't match, but alot of stores will. Just ask. And unless you have your own mounting/ balancing equip, be sure to take that into consideration when you look at their sale price. Alot of shops wilil give their customers a break on mounting and balancing if they buy the tires from them.

+1 My local Honda dealer (here in North Florida) gets very close to most Internet deals and they mount and balance the tires for free.

• Member Contributer

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

for comparison , i just bought a PR4 front tire from Rocky Mt a couple weeks ago....they were the cheapest at the time $134.00 for a 120/70Z-17 free shipping...my local guy charges $40.00 cash to mount and balance and he'll usually do it right as you walk in

BTW, Rocky Moutain and Jake Wilson are the same company. Not sure if RM has a buyers reward program but JW does, don't know why they would be any different, but I never ordered from RM so I don't know.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tips. I ended up getting them from my local Honda Dealer... He matched the internet prices + tax. It's funny, I had called them first but were way to much, then after some research I called them back and the price drops... :cool:

BTW. I use RMATV for most of my Dirtbike stuff. Called JW but they didn't have the right size but prices are as good as I have found elsewhere.

I usually buy from Competition Accessories or Motorcycle Superstore.

• 1 month later...

I'm still on the stock dunlops on my VFR (since it has less than 2,000 kms), but I've been running Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my R1 and can't say enough good things about them.

They grip really well, can't be beaten in the wet and I've got something like 10 or 12 thousand kms on the set on my R1 and they aren't even close to done.

+1 I run the Michelin Pilot Road 3s and have 10K on the rear with lots of tread left. The front capped at about 4K but Michelin replaced it free of charge. Still a lot of tread left.. Can't say enough about them..

• Member Contributer

OEM Dunlops lasted 4k miles and I never felt confident on them. Put PR3's on the bike. Huge improvement in feel and side grip. Have over 9k miles on them and just showing wear.

For those that have moved on to another brand after the OEM Dunlops, did you find you got much better mileage on the replacement tires?

I moved to the Metzler Sportec M3s which is more a sport tire than a sport tour and still got better mileage then the oem tires if that says anything about OEM tire wear.

I'm still on the stock dunlops on my VFR (since it has less than 2,000 kms), but I've been running Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my R1 and can't say enough good things about them.

They grip really well, can't be beaten in the wet and I've got something like 10 or 12 thousand kms on the set on my R1 and they aren't even close to done.

By stock do you mean still from factory? If yes, after five years, 1 mile or 10k they should be replaced anyway.

• Member Contributer

For those that have moved on to another brand after the OEM Dunlops, did you find you got much better mileage on the replacement tires?

I moved to the Metzler Sportec M3s which is more a sport tire than a sport tour and still got better mileage then the oem tires if that says anything about OEM tire wear.

OEM Dunlops lasted 4k miles and I never felt confident on them. Put PR3's on the bike. Huge improvement in feel and side grip. Have over 9k miles on them and just showing wear.

Thanks, just the sort of data points I was looking for to get some confidence that I won't be doomed to the low mileage I am experiencing with the OEM Dunlops.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, just ordered a set of pilot road 4. Chapparal had the best price I could find at just under $325 shipped. It'll be a a month or so before they go on.

i have been getting 8000 miles+ out of my Pr3s ...... just put a PR4 on the front before the winter...rear will be due soon....got 5600 mi. out of oem Bstones

• Member Contributer

Hoping for a Chapparal gift card for my birthday next week - time to order some new shoes myself.

120/70ZR-17 front and 190/55ZR-17 rear, right all?

- Dan

Archived