2002 Vfr 800 Low Rpm Bogging / Hesitation

Guest blackvfr

• Member Contributer

There's another thread on here about it,play in the front sprocket, the output shaft might be fooked,just guessing.

thread is called, Just installed sprockets,Is there supposed to be play?

Don't know why I can't copy and paste the link on this site,or use the quote function?any ideas on why that might be folks?

• Member Contributer

Any chance we could get a still photo of the teeth on the rear sprocket? Did the previous owner mention replacing it and the chain? Also, I don't recall anyone asking how many miles this bike has on it.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the chain popping to me .

Time for new sprockets and chain .

Don't know how I posted this here it was in response to a different post .

Too many Black & Tans !!

• Member Contributer

Bike has 34,000km. I should be back home in the next day or two & I'll post a photo of both sprockets.

That's about the same miiles / km mine has on it - still running the original chain which is smooth and quiet. I'm fanatical about keeping it lubed however. If the P.O. neglected it (particularly if it's seen a lot of rain), it could very well be shot. Maybe another vid closer up of it with you rotating the wheel slowly by hand might provide a few more clues about its condition.

It is simply a symptom of an over regulated fuel injection system designed for economy and emissions. All the 6th gens behave like that in standard trim. I had a 3rd gen which is carburettored and it would pull smoothly from idle in any gear. I had a 5th gen which, while injected, ran smoothly below 3000rpm also.

The 6th gen is a different beast which requires a few mods to get it smoothed out. Once you get it smoothed out you will find the fuel economy not as good.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the story continues. The whole rear ends been taken apart and cleaned up. The chatter noise is now gone HOWEVER.. it hasnt gotten rid of the low rpm hesitation. Turns out my neighbor with a BMW sport touring bike had a VFR in the past and knows the bike extremely well. He rode my bike & confirmed that my new bike definitely has an issue. His was much smoother at low RPM. He pointed out something else that I hadnt noticed and this is where I hope you guys might have some ideas for me....

With bike in nuetral, hold the throttle above 3500rpm and the engine holds the RPM. Below 3500, again holding steady on throttle, the engine slowly drops out. The RPMS just fade off slowly and you have to punch the throttle again to bring it back. Any ideas?

The bike is lean in that area, Ive heard several bikes that cant hold 2500 rpm in neutral, it wants to break(jump) one way or the other. Ive never seen a big issue while in gear , atleast with mine. Im pretty sure some bikes are worse than others on the issue. Power commander seems the easiest direction and if your stock, the standard map should be a definite improvement.

I would begin by checking the various vacuum lines around the throttle bodies. I had a few that were brittle and leaking as well as a couple where just the end was cracked where it was cut. I simply checked the hose softness and if it still seemed sound, I cut off the dry end and reattach the good part of the hose.

FWIW, my bike won't hold a steady rpm in neutral until the rpms are over 3500.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I had the same type of issue last year pissed me off to no end. swapped the k&n filter with stock, so much better now. don't run those filters with new exhaust and no power commander

Archived