Hi From Fla

TampaDave

Hi yall.

New owner of a 2004 VFR, in stock trim. Bought it from an OCD mechanic who had a tender relationship with the bike. It was kind of sad seeing him wash it for the last time when I picked it up. I think I saw him rest his cheek on the gas tank and whisper something to it.

But not that sad! This thing is a blast!

I was kind of bummed that I didn't have any carbs to tune. And then I found out about Power Commander. Wow. That sounds like hours of fun. Seriously. PO spent more time waxing that bike than riding it; I'll spend more time with it hooked to a laptop, which, sadly, really is my idea of fun.

I kind of doubt I'm going to mod it, I like the stock cans just fine. I'll disable the O2 sensors when my PCV gets here, and I'm just not gonna think about the PAIR valves. I kind of like the suspension, wouldn't mind a tad more rebound damping up front. Getting the front suspension tuned is on my list but I don't hate it enough to do it just yet.

Gotta get this thing tuned for a cross-country I have planned this winter. New tires, will probably go ahead and rewire the charging system, even though all the connectors are in bristol shape. Helibars going on next week.

I mean, it's actually already "Tuned" engine wise. It pulls strong and the VTEC transition isn't bothersome, and really in factory tune it's probably optimal for open highway riding. But it's a tad to "snatchy" at low RPM in low gear and I'm really liking the work members here are doing with the PCV maps. (My impression so far, I think the main problem is the fi cutting out during overrun, but I also get the impression that the factory tune is really lean down there in the 3K RPM range, and I think part of the problem might be that we are getting a lean hesitation in low throttle openings that's exacerbated by the fi kicking in. We will see, but the maps I've seen richen things up down there, eh?) I could live without a PC but I would really like to smooth it out for aggressive riding in the San Juans this summer, where "running wide" is hazardous without a parachute.

I'll be in Colorado over the summer and my plan is to run Coyze's and Coderighter's maps up around 8000 feet and see what autotune does with them. I'll post results if I come up with anything interesting.

post-31606-0-03088800-1414528811.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!!!

And, they donot call themselves Kawasaki Heavy Industries for nothing eh? :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very thought provoking bike.

Wifey and I visited the Barbor museum last fall, wow what a great day that was. There are beautiful examples there of my bikes grandpappy and great-grandpappy, lunatic powerful racing machines. My bike still has a little of that in it. People say Honda has refined all the character out of their bikes, but I just don't buy it. This is still a racing engine, it can be temperamental and requires some skill to get the most out of it.

I like it that this bike is touring oriented. For what I want to do with it, the VTEC generation bikes are perfect. They are a good weight for a touring bike. It really is a good touring suspension. Good lights. Dang you can get factory hard bags for such a good price these days if you know where to look.

Of course, the VTEC system has nothing to do with it. On paper it's a really really cool concept, that you can tune a bike for both knocking around traffic and tear-assing through the twisties. I don't know if it really is any better than the 5th Gen engine. The factory charts sure looked good. I think it will be really cool to see what it looks like when they finally figure out how to jailbreak the 6th Gen ECU.

In the meanwhile, I started out looking real hard at a PCIII, in fact i ordered one and then cancelled it to see what would happen with the Rapid Bike project. I think the Rapid Bike thing is very exciting and I definitely want to get one someday. But I dunno, I put a throttle tamer on there and now it's actually not that difficult to handle around town, and I have no complaints out on the open road, the bike is very well mannered and has excellent fuel mileage (ie, range) out on the highway. I think this summer, when I'm going to be really working the little mountain roads up around Aspen and down around Silverton, I'll probably need one. But for now? Without over-analyzing it, this bike is really very very good at what it's slotted to do.

It's been a bit of an adjustment, my last bike was a 300lb carbed, twin-valve Ducati. Now, before that I was on a BMW R1200R, which was a great bike, and somehow the VFR reminds me a lot of that bike, in terms of weight, ergonomics, power delivery and handling. But, still, compared to the Duc, the VFR feels like a massive beast. And I'm pretty short, so I'm having to remember how careful you need to be on a tall (well, to me it's tall) heavy bike.

As me and the bike are getting to know each other though I feel it transforming. Every day it feels lighter and lighter. I really love the compact riding position. Compared to the BMW, I am amazed and how much more stable the VFR feels on the highway, it's like it's on rails. I think it takes just a tad more effort to lean into a turn (although note the BMW had way more leverage due to the handlebars) but once it's in the turn, the VFR is a beast. The BMW had a tendency to wallow through turns. It was such a torque-monster (88ft lbs on a 500lb bike) it was easy to hustle through the tight stuff. You basically never had to shift gears, just leave it in second or third, slow down, and don't put the hammer down till you're past the apex.

I'm a way better rider now than I was back then, but dang the VFR feels so good in the twisties, just gotta quit comparing it to the Ducati. You gotta PUULLLL on them reins, and you have to pay attention to your weight distribution, get forward and outboard, kiss the mirror. The fueling issue is a bit of a pain in the ass here, you need to plan on the bike jerking when you get on the throttle, so no trail braking here. It's like being on final approach in an airplane; you have to be in stable attitude going into the turn, be at the right speed, on the right line, with the throttle open as you enter the turn. That done, wow. The torque is perfect, not too much and not too little. Seems to work best if you short shift a bit, save the VTEC surge for when the bike stands up, then hang on. There's one difference between the VFR and the BMW. The Beemer was a fast bike, no doubt. It doesn't go higher than 7K RPM cuz it doesn't have to. But still. Sure is cool to see the VFR come alive at that point. Wow, just wakes up and turns into another bike. A lunatic screaming banshee. Hoooo that was cool. 10K rpm in 3rd gear, lets see how fast we're going. 96???? what tha....

And it has personality. It's romantic, which I didn't anticipate. Never thought a Porshche would be romantic either, but it was (the '84-88 Carreras were, at least).

The BMW never really seemed like a girl to me. It was always just a motorcycle. Never reminded me of anyone I ever dated, or wanted to date. Now, the Ducati was such a chick. Oh my God. Reminded me of this girl I dated in grad school. Absolutely insane, I mean just barely holding it together, but talk about throwing down some sweet lovin. Just got to where I was sleeping with one eye open for a while there. And, when I broke up with her, I started missing her and had to keep reminding myself what a nut she was. The Ducati was like that. Gorgeous. Simple. Not all that bright. Low maintenance, never really expected me to spend much money on it. Loads of fun. But always the possibility that things would just blow up altogether at some point.

The VFR is totally a girl. Not as insane as the Ducati, but still kind of twisted in its own way. Submissive, kind of a pleaser. Will pretty much do anything. No matter what I do to it, it's always like, "You can spank me a little harder if you want." If it could figure out how to get up the stairs, I'm sure it would try to make me breakfast. To be clear, it's not high-speed-low-drag. It's complicated, impatient, easily bored. It knows how good-looking it is. And sheesh... the shoes! The shoes she wants are too doggone expensive, although I will admit, it rocks those PR4's like nobody's business. But it has a good attitude, like Sasha Grey; and just imagine riding her on a road trip. Death Valley? Yeah I'll do it, long as we go real fast. 550 through the San Juans? Yeah let's go, just don't stop for anything.

Not exactly what I thought it would be. But I like it.

• Member Contributer

Welcome not sure why your having all the throttle problems. My 03 had the 4300 rpm lag but the starter sync fixed that.

And if I was stuck in traffic for a considerable amount time and the temp got up to 210 degree's the throttle would get real twitchy.

Removed PAR valves and place a piece of foam rubber down the pcv hose and stopped that crap .

• Member Contributer

Welcome Abaord! Two things I did to my '09 that transformed it, upgraded the suspension and installed a Power Commander. Both of these help make it much better in the twisty stuff, especially the suspension. Although the right set of shoes does make a difference too.

As far as the VFR being a women, there is a reason I named mine 'Natalia'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Natalia

Welcome Abaord! Two things I did to my '09 that transformed it, upgraded the suspension and installed a Power Commander. Both of these help make it much better in the twisty stuff, especially the suspension. Although the right set of shoes does make a difference too.

As far as the VFR being a women, there is a reason I named mine 'Natalia'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Natalia

Maybe don't scroll down to the other 20 words. I thought glory hole only applied to gixxers. :goofy:

Welcome Tampa Dave. I know I've already posted on your coast to coast thread a few times.

Imho the VFR is not temperamental. Thing is like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. :beer:

For extra character, there are 2 apes in may garage. I would like to switch 1 for a Duck.

For temperamental, you want a wife. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I'm curious how you would feel after taking my VFR for a comparison spin.

* PCIII.

* Cozye map (or was it Ivan's? can't remember).

* K&N air filter.

* AIS gone.

* Remus slip-ons.

* Starter valve sync'd and new fuel regulator.

* Daugherty Motorsports suspension.

* EBC rotors and pads.

if any one in the orlando area has a stockish vtec they want to trade for a ride, i am down. i would like to see how dramatic the transformation to my bikes current state of tune truely is.

460 pound curb weight
Full Yamaha R1 front end (Brake delink, R1 forks/brakes/wheel/cbr954 triples)

Fully adjustable Elka rear shock

Two Brothers Racing Full exhaust system

Overbore throttle bodies with port matched boots and heads

R6 velocity stacks

Pipercross filter and open air box

Rapid Bike Racing fuel and ignition tuning with quick shifter

Sato gp shift rear sets

Brembo radial brake and clutch master cylinders

100 pound clutch springs

probably a bunch of other stuff that I am forgettign

And if I was stuck in traffic for a considerable amount time and the temp got up to 210 degree's the throttle would get real twitchy.

Removed PAR valves and place a piece of foam rubber down the pcv hose and stopped that crap .

This, precisely.

The throttle tamer helps a lot, and net of everything it's easy enough to say, "Guess it just doesn't like to go slow."

Here in Florida they don't really have twisties of course, in the occasional sweepers it runs fine. But if it does that "twitchy" stuff up in the mountains, on a hairpin turn in less than ideal conditions, that will about piss me off.

I think I'll try plugging the pcv hose but I think to *really* fix it, that Rapid BIke race module looks cool, albeit expensive

Honestly if you aren't after maximum horse power gains go with the Evo module. The Evo module is fuel only and will really smooth things out. The ignition advance of the Racing module really sharpens the throttle response and midrange power, which might not be what you are after.

^Yeah although what I'm griping about is the overrun cutoff, and the Race module really solves that once and for all. Since you can reflash the Rapid Bike modules for different bikes, it's really not a bad investment as electronics go. All the bikes I lust after are already supported by Rapid Bike and I'm sure more will be added over time.

I wonder sometimes why my BMW didn't do this, I'm sure it had the overrun cutoff also. I figure it might be due to factors intrinsic to the engine design, maybe flywheel weight? But more likely intake geometry. I dunno. When the Honda engineers say it's just how the engine is, I think there's an element of truth in that. It's how this engine is with VTEC and EPA regs, no doubt.

It's funny, my carbed Ducati did the same thing, and my '84 Porshe did the same thing at 3K RPM, for different reasons. Go to the Ducati or Porshe forums and they call that "character" and they say "learn to live with it." You could, theoretically, say the same thing about the VTEC VFR. But you don't have to.

TBH, between the G2 throttle tamer, reducing operator error, and just getting used to the bike, it's become less of a bother.

• Member Contributer

This, precisely.

The throttle tamer helps a lot, and net of everything it's easy enough to say, "Guess it just doesn't like to go slow."

Here in Florida they don't really have twisties of course, in the occasional sweepers it runs fine. But if it does that "twitchy" stuff up in the mountains, on a hairpin turn in less than ideal conditions, that will about piss me off.

I think I'll try plugging the pcv hose but I think to *really* fix it, that Rapid BIke race module looks cool, albeit expensive

Yeah didn't plug the PVC just stuck a piece of sponge type material in it so as to stop all the unnecessary heat being injected into the airbox.

Archived