Thinking Of Buying A Vtec!

VFRMAN

• Member Contributer

Hi,well since I sold my 5th gen in August I've missed it ever since,what was I thinking!!

Anyway I've decided to go for a vtec this time,modern looks,abs,better lighting etc.

I've read that the vtec transition is smoother on the 06- on models,

My question is how can I tell if an 06 is the new model or a left over 05 for example?

I've read that are some minor panel changes and clear indicator lenses,I suppose it wouldn't be hard to swap indicator lenses if someone wanted to disguise the older model as an 06-model.

Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I may be so bold as to make a recommendation? Get some real seat time on a 6th gen before you buy one. I sold my 5th gen looking for those exact features on the 6th gen. I gave it my best shot, but after 2500 miles, the 6th gen just left me cold. I really wanted to like it, there are so many veteran riders/forum members who seem to love them. But it really comes down to the individual.

I can't complain too much, because of me wanting more out of a VFR than the glorious 5th gen, I did end up with a 7th gen. Not quite a thousand miles on it, but so far I have smiled far more than I did on the 6th gen.

• Member Contributer

I agree with Marriedman about riding one first. The VTEC change is definitely a love it or hate it for most people. I don't know about Ireland but in the states 2006-2009 was when they made the adjustment with VTEC and various changes, clear lenses, tinted windscreen, different tach graphics, etc.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Marriedman,I have a friend who bought an 04 vtec this Summer so that's a good idea to have a spin on that and see what I think,I was hoping though that the 06 on bikes would be smoother when the vtec kicks in,the 6th gen does look better but I know the 5th gen engine is an absolute peach,anyway I'm in no panic as I have 2 other Hondas! I bought a 650 transalp for back roads and forest roads and I'm really enjoying that,it's so comfortable,it's only on major roads that it's lack of power is boring,and overtakes have to be planned more.I have an ST1100 for touring,

I had thought of trying an inline4 sports bike but I'm too old and sore for that riding position,I tried an 04 FZ1000 fazer but I just didn't like the inline 4 at all.

maybe a 5th gen with converted handlebars would be the ideal bike,I could kick myself now for selling the 5th gen but what's done is done.

• Member Contributer

I sold my '01 due to life changes. Regretted it big time. Bottom line, had to get back on a VFR. At the time, the US had awesome discounts on the 07 model. I picked a RWB anniversary (non-ABS) for extremely cheap. I love this bike as much as I did my departed. I actually love it more. It's the one that got away and I got it back. Also, two extremely close friends came with me to pick it up in Buffalo. I'll never sell it. The VTEC is actually MORE reliable than the cam gear units. If you can believe it. Like the other gen's, sound awesome with a pipe, have hard luggage optional, and run on regular gas. Imho, they look more modern too. The regulator/rectifier is in a better spot. Parts supply is better. Having said that, I think the best EVER VFR is the '97. Just drop dead sexy. Followed closely by the white '93. Then third I have to say is the new 8th white. But I love mine the most. :-) Don't let the VTEC scare you at all.

Dave.

• Member Contributer

The VTEC is actually MORE reliable than the cam gear units. If you can believe it.

Have to disagree with that one Dave. How many gear failures have there been? How many CCTs fixes have there been?

But to the OP - -yes absolutely get a ride on a VTEC bike. - All VFRs are cool, but the VTEC bikes do zero for me.

Wasnt the rev dial a white shade on the later models with the smoothed out vtec?

Ive come from an SV650s to a 2002 vtec. Its obviously a faster bike but i do find myself revving it more to get the most out of it. Vtecs quite fun though, abit of a kick up the bum for fast overtakes. I kinda like how sudden it kicks in.

Agree with the others though, get a test ride and see what you think :)

As a 4th gen to 6th gen convert, I can say that it is a phenomenal bike.

It's howls and snorts are some of the best sounds in motorcycling.

Looks to kill, I think. Build quality is amazing, best built bike I have ever been on, period.

Handling is great--neutral and precise and stable as a motorcycle should be--it'll drag your knees, hehe.

Reliability is as good as any other VFR. CCT's are wear items, and easily dealt with.

Vtec is cool. No other bike really has it. And it's real Vtec, alot of guys think it's not but it is. It's not VVT, but it blends both 2v and 4v pros and makes power down low and screams up top.

I have ridden alot of other bikes, and happy to say I am always excited to be back on the 6th gen, it's really a great do it all sportbike.

I've read that the vtec transition is smoother on the 06- on models,

I wouldn't shy away from a pre 06, as soon as you throw a PC or a rapid bike on it, the transition is butter.

• Member Contributer

There are still loads of low mile 6th gens around in really nice condition - some with tons of extras, including hard bags. The earlier years can be extraordinary values.

There are still loads of low mile 6th gens around in really nice condition - some with tons of extras, including hard bags. The earlier years can be extraordinary values.

I payed £3200 for my immaculate 2002 vtec with 16k on the clock, givi bags and a few other touches.

Although to be fair, i only didnt get a 5th gen because i couldnt find a tidy enough low mileage one got love nor money.

I spent about 3 months looking

I have been riding my 06' for almost a year now and I really like it. I have no issues with the VTEC transition at all. I had the chance to ride another 07' for a quick test ride from a dealer and that particular 07 had a very hard hit, much harder than my 06'. Mine has never bothered me at all. It has been a great bike so far and I do feel like it will continue to be a great machine.

It also always gets compliments when I go places too.

• Member Contributer

The VTEC is actually MORE reliable than the cam gear units. If you can believe it.

Have to disagree with that one Dave. How many gear failures have there been? How many CCTs fixes have there been?

But to the OP - -yes absolutely get a ride on a VTEC bike. - All VFRs are cool, but the VTEC bikes do zero for me.

Dude, I knew I'd provoke with that one. :goofy: I'm basing that comment off an article from a UK magazine, one of their used bike reviews. They mentioned overall, (key is overall) the VTEC's were just as, if not more; reliable. Shocked the heck out of me honestly.

Dave

• Member Contributer

Dude, I knew I'd provoke with that one. :goofy: I'm basing that comment off an article from a UK magazine, one of their used bike reviews. They mentioned overall, (key is overall) the VTEC's were just as, if not more; reliable. Shocked the heck out of me honestly.

Dave

:smile2: :beer:

• Member Contributer

I learned to ride on an '83 VF750 that was brand new and loved it, put together some funds and bought an '85. I thought that thing was a rocket ship. Years later, I bought a '94 VFR750 and rode that for TEN YEARS - thought I would never sell it. Now I'm on an '07 and would never go back to either one of my prior VFRs. I bought this one two summers ago an love it. It's a much needed styling update over the '94 and I get asked if it is new all the time. I've had it for two years and just racked up over 5000 miles on it last month. It DOES have a very different feel than my 4th gen but I like it. Gas and oil (+ a few mods) but no troubles so far. My Vtech kicks in right at 7k so you can ride it around pretty easily w/o having the Vtech kick in at inopportune times in town. I think earlier models had a lower transition point and people griped about that a bit.

I have had a lot of people think my 06' is brand new too. Most cant believe it is an 06 bike. Not sure if it is the styling of the bike or that the bike is still in fantastic condition, but either way, it is nice to get the compliments.

I have had a lot of people think my 06' is brand new too. Most cant believe it is an 06 bike. Not sure if it is the styling of the bike or that the bike is still in fantastic condition, but either way, it is nice to get the compliments.

I get exactly that on my 2002!

Its a very clean example too. Which helps i think!

Thanks Marriedman and apologies if I didn't put the right heading on this thread,I have a friend who bought an 04 vtec this Summer so that's a good idea to have a spin on that and see what I think,I was hoping though that the 06 on bikes would be smoother when the vtec kicks in,the 6th gen does look better but I know the 5th gen engine is an absolute peach,anyway I'm in no panic as I have 2 other Hondas! I bought a 650 transalp for back roads and forest roads and I'm really enjoying that,it's so comfortable,it's only on major roads that it's lack of power is boring,and overtakes have to be planned more.I have an ST1100 for touring,

I had thought of trying an inline4 sports bike but I'm too old and sore for that riding position,I tried an 04 FZ1000 fazer but I just didn't like the inline 4 at all.

maybe a 5th gen with converted handlebars would be the ideal bike,I could kick myself now for selling the 5th gen but what's done is done.

Have you tried a CBR1100XX with bar raisers, peg lowering kit and a Corbin saddle?

You'd be astounded how comfortable it can be:

4ee0823c30a180db93d847a2caa53024.jpg

...and it goes like a rocket!

Fly :)

"Speed Is Life!"

Thanks Marriedman and apologies if I didn't put the right heading on this thread,I have a friend who bought an 04 vtec this Summer so that's a good idea to have a spin on that and see what I think,I was hoping though that the 06 on bikes would be smoother when the vtec kicks in,the 6th gen does look better but I know the 5th gen engine is an absolute peach,anyway I'm in no panic as I have 2 other Hondas! I bought a 650 transalp for back roads and forest roads and I'm really enjoying that,it's so comfortable,it's only on major roads that it's lack of power is boring,and overtakes have to be planned more.I have an ST1100 for touring,

Have you tried a CBR1100XX with bar raisers, peg lowering kit and a Corbin saddle?

"Speed Is Life!"

Thought about one of those myself.

Whats it like in the corners compared to the vfr? Does its size show?

"Speed Is Life!"

Thought about one of those myself.

Whats it like in the corners compared to the vfr? Does its size show?

Oh yeah! Size does show! It can be cornered to the clearance limit which is less than the VFR and you get tired quicker on twisty roads.

But the wider fairing protects you better from cold wind and rain and, when properly set up as mentioned above, it is comfier than the VFR.

Power doesn't even compare. Lots of torque from low rpm. There are some faster bikes than the XX, but not very many, even these days :)

I own the XX for the power, I bought the VFR for the cool factor and the looks, and because the one I found was well equipped.

You would not be disappointed by a XX.

"Speed Is Life!"

• Member Contributer

Back to VTec thing ....

Now a VTec convert - although it did take a while. Had an '07 for a year but just never liked it, and couldn't justify grabbing even more cash out out my pocket to fix what was by far the most expensive VFR I've ever owned (5 or so).

Fast-forward a couple years and I'm now lovin' my new-for-me '03. Transition seems smoother, and because it kicks in higher (differing from a previous post), I don't find it quite as often. I have a PC3 awaiting, and will unplug the thing-a-mingy to see if anything improves, but other than a lean-condition in around 4800rpm, it runs as well as my fave '00 I rode for 2 years (which had a similar lean-condition).

I was lucky to have rebuilt a fallen '02 when my eyes were opened, so that makes 2.

Maybe as members have suggested, that it's a bike to bike thing, but my '07 pretty much shook, stuttered, then launched during the VTec transition. Wasn't a fan, but now preaching to anyone who'll listen.

Hello, anyone there? ..... :).

When i first rode my 02 vtec home from the shop i noticed a pause, hesitation, then the valves kick in and it shoots forward.

I've never really noticed the hesitation since though, it just seems to change over smoothly and take off again.

I'm not sure if the bike just needed to stretch its legs or if it was cos i wasnt used it to.

Could it change on its own? Or was it just me?

These days i just use vtec for fast overtaking really. It really picks its feet up once the 16v kicks in

Archived