Thinking Of Buying A Vtec!

VFRMAN

Tbh, i think it must be very much dependant on how that particular bike is set up.

My 02 isnt at all difficult to ride in traffic or at any steady speed (well, no harder than any other bike with a decent amount of power).

The only time mine snatches is if i open the throttle full, then close, then open it a little again. It will then snatch.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I could have found a 98 in as good a condition as my 04, at a comparable price, yeah I'd buy it. Good luck with that. Plus, I don't know that I deserve a bike that nice. In all fairness, I personally think the VTECs are prettier and have better pipes. And I kinda dig the technology, actually. It's not Honda's fault that EPA regs have jacked up the low-speed fueling.

The VTEC is very snatchy at low speeds. Coming from a Ducati, it was easy for me to overlook that but it does have a tendency to drive ya nuts around town. I really bought the bike for very long distance touring and the choice for me was really between the VFR and an ST1100. VFR got the nod because it's prettier, a hundred pounds lighter, and way way easier to find one that has less than 100k on the clock. If I were independently wealthy I would consider a K12 but would probably still buy the VTEC. You look at it in that light, it's an obvious choice for me anyway. The VTEC VFR is a glorious bike going mach shnell down the highway. Just glorious.

But. If I were buying a city bike, something for short trips and track days, I wouldn't even consider a VTEC VFR. I would be looking for a twin in the 400lb weight range. Ducati monster or an SV650 would be ideal with the right mods. But not a VTEC VFR. That's my impression so far anyway.

• Member Contributer

By the way, you can usually tell what model year a VFR is by the colors - specifically the color combination of the body and wheels. Might be different in Europe, but here in the US I think Honda only repeated itself once with 6th gens. That was '02-'03, when Italian Red came with black wheels. After that colors changed annually.

If I remember correctly, for the US bikes:

2002 - Italian Red with black wheels

2003 - Italian Red or Silver with black wheels

2004 - Italian Red with silver wheels, or Asphalt Black (flat black) - unsure about wheel color

2005 - Winning Red or Silver with silver wheels

2006 - Pearl Black (aka "Bass boat black") with silver wheels (I think)

2007 - RWB Anniversary with black wheels or Pearl White with silver wheels (I think)

2008 - dark metallic gray with silver wheels (I think)

2009 - black with black wheels

Don't forget the '07's that were Candy Red (what I wish I actually had). I believe the white ones were an '06. My '08 came with wheels matching the body color so totally monochromatic. Not the best of looks but easily changed.

When I brought home my 06 VFR last January, it was all stock. No mods had been done to it. I noticed no problems with fueling, stumbling or any real problem with mine. (At least nothing that bothered me anyway.) After I did the free mods, it got a little smoother. After I did the stage Two Exhaust mod, (strictly done for sound), it got a little smoother too.

I also noticed on my 06' that when you are just easing up on the throttle and it hits the VTEC point, it just eases through it. Almost no hit and cant hardly even feel it. But if I hammer down on it, I feel it. I have read that on the 06 and newer, Honda had made changes for it to work like that. After owning mine, I can believe it. Another fellow on here has an 07 and his seems to run just like mine does, I rode his just around my neighborhood. He also has no complaints about his bike.

Before I bought mine, I rode another 07' that had a very hard hit on the VTEC transition. Way harder than my bike is. It almost made me write off the 6th gen completely but after riding mine and feeling the difference, I decided on my 06. The only reason the hit made me think about not getting the VFR was because I was concerned for my passenger. I didn't want that hit to surprise her and throw her off balance.

As for valves.... Mine now has over 18,000 on it and unless it was done by the PO, mine is fine like she is. I was looking into doing it myself but everything that I have read said not to worry about it. I have read where some guys had over 50,000 and the valves were still in spec. I think I have also read where some guys were close to 100,000 and valves were also still in spec. That's just what I have read so I am passing that info on.

Thanks for the correction, Cogswell. I forgot about the candy apple red, which is a sweet color.

And I'm sure you're right about white having been in 2006. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure it was 'pearl white'. Maybe just white, though I remember it had a red wing logo and print.) I'd had my '04 for a couple years when I saw a leftover in white at a local shop, maybe in 2007 or 2008. I can't remember if it had ABS (mine doesn't), which could have been why I was interested - plus I knew I loved my 6th gen. and I thought, 'Why not get a newer one?" I thought if I could get a decent price for my '04 that I'd upgrade to the newer bike, but I never bothered to even ask the price of it because I was perfectly happy with my existing bike.

As for valve checks, I had mine done by a local dealer shop at about 18k miles. I was having some other work done and asked for a quote for the valve check. They quoted me a much lower price than seems to be the standard, so I had them do it. (I even asked if they were sure about the quote. When they said yes, I said go ahead. It ended up taking them much longer than they had quoted but they honored the quote.) All valves were within spec, and I've never bothered with it since. I'm at 78k miles now and haven't heard/felt anything amiss with the valves yet. I think if you're going to do it yourself, go ahead and do it. But if you're not, don't pay a dealer hundreds of dollars to do it for you. Personally, I think the risk is so minimal that it's not worth spending the money.

• Member Contributer

I just had my mates 02 vtec out for a test ride,did a mix of open road and town riding,a much better bike than the 03 I tried yesterday.The vtec kick was there but much milder than on the 03.

But I've made up my mind,I'm going to keep looking for another 5th gen or maybe even a 4th.I'm in no rush,something good might come up for sale sometime.

Thanks for all the help folks,it's been an education :happy:

I just had my mates 02 vtec out for a test ride,did a mix of open road and town riding,a much better bike than the 03 I tried yesterday.The vtec kick was there but much milder than on the 03.

But I've made up my mind,I'm going to keep looking for another 5th gen or maybe even a 4th.I'm in no rush,something good might come up for sale sometime.

Thanks for all the help folks,it's been an education :happy:

Defo seems to be dependant on bike doesnt it...

Decent 5th gens to pop up from time to time, you just have to be patient and willing to travel IMO.

• Member Contributer

I went from a Honda 919 to my 6th gen and I have to say I was initially quite shocked at how poorly fuelled the VFR was compared to the 919. The 919 was sewing machine smooth and absolutely perfectly fuelled from idle to redline in any condition. I was expecting the same results from the VFR, as any fuel injected Honda I've owned or ridden has been really well sorted. This wasn't the case. After a couple days of ownership, however, that became a non-issue. It really is not snatchy or difficult to use unless you are below 3000 RPM where you shouldn't be anyway.

I went from a Honda 919 to my 6th gen and I have to say I was initially quite shocked at how poorly fuelled the VFR was compared to the 919. The 919 was sewing machine smooth and absolutely perfectly fuelled from idle to redline in any condition. I was expecting the same results from the VFR, as any fuel injected Honda I've owned or ridden has been really well sorted. This wasn't the case. After a couple days of ownership, however, that became a non-issue. It really is not snatchy or difficult to use unless you are below 3000 RPM where you shouldn't be anyway.

I came close to buying a new/leftover 2004 919 (in the flat lime green color) when I started riding in 2006. I bought a used 2001 Kaw. 750 instead, then moved on to my VFR a few months later. I still like the 919, but no regrets.

I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread; hope that's a good start for a noob.

I'm looking into a 2003 model with relatively low miles and several nice farkles (exhaust, Power Commander, heli-bars, reg/rec replaced, et al). The owner sounds like a good guy, but is there anything specific to the model or year that I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance. *Keeping my fingers crossed*

• Member Contributer

Hi Mava,maybe you should post an introduction in the intro's section,

this thread might give you some insight into an answer for your question,and there a lot of wiser heads on here than me re vfr's who will advise you,

I came to the conclusion though that vtec isn't for me so I'm searching high and low for a good 5th gen,getting close too,might have one in a few days.

I'm looking now for the earlier 5th gen,98-99 without the cats and 02 sensors.

I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread; hope that's a good start for a noob.

I'm looking into a 2003 model with relatively low miles and several nice farkles (exhaust, Power Commander, heli-bars, reg/rec replaced, et al). The owner sounds like a good guy, but is there anything specific to the model or year that I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance. *Keeping my fingers crossed*

With those mods, you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there was a "PCV" recall in the '02-'04 VFRs, though it's been so long since I thought about it I'm not even sure that's right.

If the bike has a Power Commander you should double check that it also has O2 sensor eliminators, either aftermarket or homemade. Either will do the job.

Good luck with it and please let us know what happens. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Ok I've seen an 04 vtec abs that needs some work, anyone got any idea roughly what this list of work might cost me? thanks

The bike already has the 32,000 mile documented valve check done.currently showing 35,000 miles.

It needs the thermostat replaced.bike is running cold.

It needs head bearings.

Cam chain tensioner is rattling,obviously needs replacing to me anyway.

Brakes calipers need a good service and new pads.

It needs a new front tyre,and other minor bits and pieces.

full service as well.

That's all that is obvious to me,when a mechanic gets working at her he might find other issues,wondering if this bike is a good buy at all,if it's going to cost a lot to put her right. I'd imagine replacing the stat will be the biggest job.

Ok I've seen an 04 vtec abs that needs some work, anyone got any idea roughly what this list of work might cost me? thanks

The bike already has the 32,000 mile documented valve check done.currently showing 35,000 miles.

It needs the thermostat replaced.bike is running cold.

It needs head bearings.

Cam chain tensioner is rattling,obviously needs replacing to me anyway.

Brakes calipers need a good service and new pads.

It needs a new front tyre,and other minor bits and pieces.

full service as well.

That's all that is obvious to me,when a mechanic gets working at her he might find other issues,wondering if this bike is a good buy at all,if it's going to cost a lot to put her right. I'd imagine replacing the stat will be the biggest job.

Setting up a bike for the long haul, begins when its brand new. Most people wait till around that area your looking at and then need a lot of work. The fluids really contaminate bad in the first 10,000 miles. I was flushing brake and clutch fluid at 2,000 miles and it was nasty dirty, including fork fluid at 7,000 miles was totally black and close to sludging. My Squat is clean as a whistle as a result of the early labor, and still on original head bearings post 100,000 miles, cause took care of them when the bike was new.

Archived