Something You Do Not See Often

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

a wrecked VFR engine....

A member on the dutch VFR forum posted this one....

In April, he bought a used 2002 (which turned out to be imported from the UK) with 73k km's on the clock.

Did 4k on it this year.

While doing a ~110MPH run  on the motorway, heard a rattle, left the motorway, blue smoke, stall..

A dealer opened her up and found

post-6415-0-76526600-1413550890.jpg

post-6415-0-92583800-1413551293.jpg

Valves snapped off, connection rod through the carter...

They reckon this engine had possibly never seen any maintenance in its life causing this

Glad for him that he did not do an enzed_viffer and 2nd hand engines do not cost the world..

post-8974-0-52339500-1413556405.jpg

post-8974-0-68978200-1413556406.jpg

• Member Contributer

It's a Vtec silly, most seem to have at least one cam chain give problems by 50K miles, but I'd put money on it never having had the valves adjusted, as so many people are scared of them. The Vtec makes it much harder & worse for the home mechanic. The gear driven cams are so simple compared to any bike with a camchain, I'm amazed that more bikes don't have gears.

Still bad news for the poor chap.

• Member Contributer

Seized the piston in the cylinder, I would vote for a bad/dirty injector leaned out the one cylinder. Could be old/no oil, but that would have shown up in the crank shaft or connecting rods on the crank shaft side. Possibly in the cam shaft, but then more than one cylinder.

Archived