Hi All, Just Bought (Most Of) A Vfr 800Fi...

Crazy88

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say hello and thanks... I've just downloaded the service manual from your site so I thought someone better be thanked for that!

So I suggested in the title that I bought most of a 1999 VFR800 anniversary ed, in reality I think it's all there, it's just that some of it is there in body but not necessarily in mind (i.e it doesn't work). I'm 29 years old and sold my bike to raise some uni funds (Hardest. Thing. Ever.), I couldn't bear to be without a bike until graduation so I took a bit of a gamble on this bargain basement VFR. Mechanically I can't find anything majorly wrong with it, the LED panel doesn't work and I think a front caliper is sticking but otherwise the majority of it woes are cosmetic, scruffy doesn't really do it justice...

I've laid it up for the winter and I'm going to work my way through it, all of my previous bikes have been immaculate so I'm going to have to find some creative (read; cheap) ways to tart it up and I'll see if it's a keeper. I only mention all of this for fear that I may be pestering you regularly in the near future (I already have a list...)

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the project. Gives you something to do on those cool winter nights and a sense of pride and accomplishment at the same time when you can say, "I rebuilt my own bike."

As Rollin mentioned, pictures......................We all love pictures. :-)

• Member Contributer

Congratulations! Sounds like you've got a nice little project ahead of you. Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, lots of useful info and helpful people here!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you've got the red / silver edition with the 50th anniversary. badging. I wish I knew how many of those they made (none for the U.S. AFAIK). Scruffy or not we'd love to see some pics.

• Member Contributer

Welcome, Crazy!

Good luck with the new project bike! (just don't get too crazy and forget to graduate!)

Ded

I was a bit loathed to do a "before and after" thing, I really don't know how much I can do with the budget I'm on but this is what I have to work with... I don't think the pictures quite do the work needed justice.

I'd like to get the LCD working if poss and generally service things over the winter, the rest will be cosmetic work. The front cowl is quite battered as is the fairing and mudguard on the same side, may have to try and repair them as replacements are looking expensive. The rear fairing is badly faded and the paint on the wheels is badly flaking so I'm thinking about respraying quite a bit of the bike.

I'm not sure that I'm sold in the two tone paint job and by the looks of it neither was the previous owner, seeing as he put so much effort into removing it... The tank is ok though so I may match the panels to the tank and put in some sort of "nod" to the anniversary paint job, maybe a more subtle version of the decals? I think any value gained by keeping it original is massively overshadowed by its condition.

post-31415-0-09266200-1413118721.jpgpost-31415-0-60365000-1413118773.jpgpost-31415-0-93376500-1413118871.jpgpost-31415-0-11125800-1413118944.jpg

• Member Contributer

The paint scheme pays homage to some of Honda's racing history. IMHO she's worth preserving if possible . . .

66rc166.jpg

I see what you're saying; it does represent a beautiful racer, I'm quite torn. Realistically the silver is going to be a bit harder to spray at home (I've had disasterous results with metallics in the past) and I can't decide whether it looks like a fair homage or just a bit disjointed... I've got a while for it to grow on me

• Member Contributer

Fwiw, I never like the color scheme on the VFR. Not in pictures, not in real life..

For now, buy grey duct tape and make sure nothing falls off.

Ride her for 3 months and see if you want to go steady with her/go for the long term relationship. cos that means investing in the relationship.

Figure out if the initial outlay to do her up is within your disposable income budget or not.

Make sure the bike is safe to ride 1st, worry about looks later. Something about a mantle piece and poking the fire.... :goofy:

Indeed! Thanks for the advice, I rode it for a few weeks before I took it off the road and the brakes stand out as a priority... I had a 3 year old Truimph Sprint before this and I'm surprised at how comparable they are, given that there is around ten years between them

Archived