Weird Engine Noise I Can't Identify, Input Needed

HumalogAddict

• Member Contributer

Hey guys. Haven't been around that much lately as I have been swamped but I wanted to pick your brains about the recent issue I have been having with my 6th gen.

Like any issue, it's a little tough to describe over the internet but here goes.

At speeds above more or less 50km/h (lets say 35mph and up), when I let go of the gas I hear a sort of clanking noise coming from the front of the bike, most probably inside the engine, and it lasts no more than 5 seconds, then it goes away. It almost sounds like when you forget some change in the dryer. Now, it does not happen when I am giving it gas or at lower speeds. I also cannot replicate the noise standing still and giving it gas. No noticeable difference when the ambient air is warmer or colder or when the bike is cold or hot. The noise is loudest when I give it WOT then let go. Apart from the noise, the bike has been handling itself exactly like it was before. No recent mods, the latest were to remove the snorkel and block off the pair valves but that was 3 months and 3000km ago.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

• Member Contributer

Not sure if it's the same noise but I looked at a 2004 VFR a little while ago that had a strange rattle type noise coming from the front of the engine. The owner said it was a noisy cam chain tensioner. Was very noticeable when started from cold and it went away as it warmed up. Not sure if this is the same kind of sound but maybe check out the following thread.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78056-cam-chain-adjuster-replacement-scheduled/?hl=%20cam%20%20chain%20%20tensioner

• Member Contributer

Thanks Zoomzoom. I had looked into that issue a while back as my cam chains do make some noise but the consensus seemed to be that they either make noise or not (new or used) and it didn't really make any difference so I learned to live with that slight rattle. This noise is different though and does not evolve in any way when the bike warms up.

Unless someone confirms this new noise could be some sort of evolution of the cam chain noise, I do not think that is what it is. But I don't know, that's why I am asking :goofy:

Thanks though!!

• Member Contributer

Maybe you're only thinking it's coming from the front and it's really being funneled by the fairing up that way?

How's the chain look? Maybe when you really get on it and then let off you're getting some serious chain slap, which will dissipate after a couple seconds?

Just a thought.

Next time you let off the gas, also hit the brakes and see if that exacerbates the noise. Maybe front wheel bearings, although that seems very far fetched.

• Member Contributer

Interesting. I had indeed thought of the noise rebounding off other things and had considered the chain being the culprit as well. I cleaned and greased it today before going for a ride and it did not do any noticeable difference so I kind of put it aside.

After numerous bikes and 10+ years of riding this is oddly enough the first bike with a chain I have kept for a while so I am certainly no chain expert. It looks ok to me but does seem to have some tight spots (ie it goes up and down when I spin the rear wheel by hand).

I will try the above suggestion to see what it does. I will also try to reproduce the noise on the center stand. I had tried reving it on neutral but had not put it in gear.

Thanks!

CCT rattle tends to happen when cold at idle or shortly after, and many times dissipates once warm(the most common), but can also rattle on decel at times and the bike has been running for hours. CCT noise can also rattle at idle, whether cold or hot. So there's no fixed guaranteed path with cct noise. But cct noise is a rattle or clack clack like a duck.

For you to only have decel cct rattle from high rpm and none of the other types would be strange.

• Member Contributer

update:

I tried braking after letting off the gas and it did not seem to affect the noise in any way

I also took a few pics and shot a few videos of the chain while I revved the engine. Although I was unable to reproduce the noise (being on the center stand I of course had to pull in the clutch quickly after letting off the gas) there was noise coming from the chain and that chain does look really iffy now that I see it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Omw0uf7MQ

with revs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsICO2w2d8Y

with more revs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYrcihL7QCI

and a few pics the chain (it has been a little rusty since forever). I've had it for 3 summers now and about 20000miles:

IMG_20140929_165634_857_zps5535d571.jpg

IMG_20140929_165647_417_zps9234626d.jpg

thoughts?

Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

It's hard to tell from the angle of the pictures, but it does seem to be hanging a bit low. How much slack is there? If it's more than a couple of cm it's probably slapping. Add a couple of kinks in the chain and there you have it.

. It looks ok to me but does seem to have some tight spots (ie it goes up and down when I spin the rear wheel by hand).

No es bueno. Lube good and eliminate tight spots now, and replace later.

Or just replace now. Sprockets too.

Weve gone from cct to drive chain, but I see nothing obvious in your vids. But its very easy to rule out the chain, but seems you are questioning it.

Basically start with each link(all 110). flex every link up and down 90 degrees, any link that wont do that is froze up or too resistive, cut one side of the oring out and wd40 and add gear lube till thoroughly free, its a very simple process and it works really well if you have frozen links.

Another easy test is to watch the chain go around the outer side of the rear sprocket, any link not flexing right will bulge up around the outer diameter of the sprocket(slowly turning by hand.

If you see no issue as mentioned, its not the drive chain.

• Member Contributer

Did I mention I was no chain expert? :)

I had a little time this morning so I adjusted the chain (a little over an inch of play at the tiggtest spot) and freed up a few frozen links. And voila, my "weird engine noise" is gone, almost qualifying me for the egg on your face thread....

The chain and sprockets are done though (past the wear mark on the swingarm for the rear sprocket and the differences between the tight and the loose spots on the chain are huge) so I am looking into options and prices and will swap them out as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help guys :)

• Member Contributer

If the chain is that far gone you'll probably also need sprockets too. That's the main reason not to let it get that bad.

I'm running original countershaft sprocket with 39,000 miles, and the second chain. The rear sprocket had 35,000 miles on it before I replaced it with a 45 tooth sprocket for more real world 1st gear usage. I may change the countershaft when I put on the new (3rd) chain, but haven't decided for sure yet. Need to take a look at it first.

FWIW I usually change out a chain when it needs to be adjusted more than a couple times over 5,000 miles, after the new chain adjustments that is. Mine easily goes 5,000 miles between adjustments.

• Member Contributer

Check the drive chain slipper on the swingarm, its there to stop chain to arm contact, if the chain is run loose for to long it wears through ! Need to remover the chain guard & check the slipper behind the foot rest plate.

Archived