New 6Th Gen Owner Soon... A Hello And A First Question

Draginknee

Hello all. I am hopefully going to be the new owner of marriedman's VFR on the 19th. This forum was recommended to me by him and I've been browsing and learning. I have been riding for a little over 10yrs, 98% of that time on sport bikes, and 75% of that time doing regular track days. This will be my first VFR, but definitely NOT my first Honda. Looking forward to enjoying it.

As far as my question goes, I have a riding meet I am going to in GA next month, and am going to try and get a kit made for the VFR to use my STS stands on so I can take it with me. BUT I need the dimensions of the rear axle to do this, and I don't have the bike yet. So if someone could tell me what the rear axle length is, and also the diameter of the inside on both ends is (measured with calipers in inches), that would be awesome.

In return I will post a picture of my other 2-wheel friend that calls my garage home for your enjoyment :-)

20140625_103216.jpg

20140625_103236.jpg

Thanks, and I hope to know some of you better in the future.

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your questions. Nice "other" ride you got there!

• Member Contributer

Welcome - that Senna is one sexy bike. IIRC, marriedman's '07 is also an ABS model in Candy Red. If I could chose again, that would be my color. That will make a hell of a pair of bikes in your garage!

Not sure if this gives you everything you want - but it's what I have - I don't have time this evening to dis-mount the rear wheel to measure the axle length. However, for the axle hole measurement I get 1.143" (I checked and re-zero'd several times). I use a Pit Bull rear stand, and I took measurements on its pin. For the pin diameter I get 1.115" and the pin length is 2.50". Hopefully that helps.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the site.

I can't see your pictures on the work PC but I can see it in my mind and am very envious.

Hope you enjoy your Viffer.

Welcome - that Senna is one sexy bike. IIRC, marriedman's '07 is also an ABS model in Candy Red. If I could chose again, that would be my color. That will make a hell of a pair of bikes in your garage!

Not sure if this gives you everything you want - but it's what I have - I don't have time this evening to dis-mount the rear wheel to measure the axle length. However, for the axle hole measurement I get 1.143" (I checked and re-zero'd several times). I use a Pit Bull rear stand, and I took measurements on its pin. For the pin diameter I get 1.115" and the pin length is 2.50". Hopefully that helps.

Yea, this is for an STstand for a trailer, so I'm hoping Troy can make a kit for it since he currently doesn't.

Is that 1.143" the same on each end? If so that's great, thanks! Now I just need the axle length.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys. Marriedman's VFR is on the best looking I've ever seen while browsing for one to buy... he's also a really great guy to talk to, knowledgeable, and patient. Looking forward to picking this thing up and riding it back to FL.

Hey, glad to see you made it over here! Without a doubt the best place for information about the VFR's. I couldn't be happier about the kind of person buying my bike. This is a guy who knows his machines and takes care of them.

Looking forward to meeting you in person on the 19th!

Thanks Paul! For the length I'm looking for I imagine someone could just stick a measuring tape through the axle, and just measure from where it ends on both ends... wouldn't have to remove it and put calipers on it I don't think. Of coarse I haven't seen one in person yet so this is all a guess to me, ha ha.

• Member Contributer

Not sure how an ST stand works so my apologies if these are irrelevant comments....

Are you planning on removing the wheel when using the stand? If not, the ID of the hole in the center of the wheel is smaller than the ID of the hole in the axle. I don't have calipers to give you an exact measurement.

From end of axle to outside edge of hole in wheel is almost exactly 10 inches.

Not sure how an ST stand works so my apologies if these are irrelevant comments....

Are you planning on removing the wheel when using the stand? If not, the ID of the hole in the center of the wheel is smaller than the ID of the hole in the axle. I don't have calipers to give you an exact measurement.

Not irrelevant at all actually. The rear wheel stays on. So on the chain side the axle hole is smaller than the wheel hole, and there is a lip on the wheel hole for a certain depth right? I basically need from one hole end to the other (axle/wheel) and what the inner diameters are of each hole, and maybe how deep it is if it's under say 1/2".

Here is STstands website for a better explanation of how the stand works.

http://www.ststands.com/main.cfm

It's basically a bar that uses spacers/inserts specific to different models of motorcycles to hold the bike in one place while on a trailer. He doesn't have access to a VFR where he is in Texas, so trying to get him the measurements he needs to do one for a VFR. May help out some others that are interested in one of these too. They also make great spare wheel stands at the track ;-)

I probably should have posted that to begin with to give a better explanation...

• Member Contributer

Not irrelevant at all actually. The rear wheel stays on. So on the chain side the axle hole is smaller than the wheel hole, and there is a lip on the wheel hole for a certain depth right? I basically need from one hole end to the other (axle/wheel) and what the inner diameters are of each hole, and maybe how deep it is if it's under say 1/2".

Here is STstands website for a better explanation of how the stand works.

http://www.ststands.com/main.cfm

It's basically a bar that uses spacers/inserts specific to different models of motorcycles to hold the bike in one place while on a trailer. He doesn't have access to a VFR where he is in Texas, so trying to get him the measurements he needs to do one for a VFR. May help out some others that are interested in one of these too. They also make great spare wheel stands at the track ;-)

I probably should have posted that to begin with to give a better explanation...

Nice photo play on their website. Let me see if I can step down to the garage and get those measurements for you. I'll probably have to take 2 measurements, as my bike has a 8 spoke wheel not sure what yours will have, so assuming it will be the 5 spoke (which I have as well). Give me about an hour or so...

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Marriedman's VFR (to be mine soon) has an 8 spoke. Thanks!!

It worked out to be the same anyway...

Since my garage is packed pretty tight and I have to play a game of Tetris to get everything inside, I did the best I could without having to move any vehicles!

Just so it's understood, I have the cap on the end of the hub so the measurement I took of the axle length would be from the inside of the cap to the outside of the rim...

(here is said cap, as seen on my 5 Gen)

post-23057-0-25672100-1410291153.jpg

Here is the axle measurement as it is on my 6 Gen (That would be 10 7/16")

post-23057-0-92196700-1410291159.jpg

The center hole of the 8 spoke as it is on my 6 Gen

post-23057-0-18892000-1410291168.jpg

The center hole of the 5 spoke from my 6 Gen

post-23057-0-33564000-1410291176.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

Archived