Track Only Tires. What U Using?

vfrAustin

• Member Contributer

What tires are you you using on your dedicated track bike? Not street use.

Thanks in advance

What tires are you using on your dedicated track bike? Not street use.

Thanks in advance

• Member Contributer

BT-003-RS, but that's because it's more than I need for my level, and decently priced. When I actually get to a track day I'll let you know how they are.

I've used Q2s/Q3s. The Q3s are a very good tire in my experience. Fast enough for advanced group, warm up fairly quickly, wear well.

My current set i'll probably end up getting 8 TD out of moving at a fast intermediate or low advanced pace. One of those days were at an abrasive track in april in 40* temperatures, which definitely didn't help tire life.

I don't think you could go wrong with any modern "sport" tire. The nice thing about the Q3 is you couldn't beat the price when they had the rebate going. I got my set for $190.

post-31055-0-11040100-1407756724.jpg

• Member Contributer

Michelin Supersports and Pirelli Supercorsa SP V2. Always had good luck with either. I hear that the Metzeler K1s are great as well, super soft and DOT "track tires".

• Member Contributer

Dunlop n-tec slicks on my XRR ... Michelin Power Cup soft compound front, medium compound rear, on my heavier Mille ...

ACE

• Member Contributer
Last track day I tried a set of Dunlop Q3's

I am a confessed Michelin fan but have loved the Sport Touring Pirelli Angel GT for the street and cannot fault the Q3's on the track.

20140712 134253

They warm up quickly and have much more lean angle than street tires will ever need. I was previously unable to touch down the stock peg feelers (ohlins rear shock at max ride height and built front forks as well) but had to remove the pegs feelers for the track as I was dragging my peg.

• Member Contributer

Star School use the Q's ...Jason Pridmore thought they were Supersport tires first time he tried them...I like em too.

I have also run superCorsas...they are fabulous too and you still don't NEED tire warmers...just take a lap to warm up.

Can't go wrong with either one.

• Member Contributer

I've used Q2s/Q3s. The Q3s are a very good tire in my experience. Fast enough for advanced group, warm up fairly quickly, wear well.

My current set i'll probably end up getting 8 TD out of moving at a fast intermediate or low advanced pace. One of those days were at an abrasive track in april in 40* temperatures, which definitely didn't help tire life.

I don't think you could go wrong with any modern "sport" tire. The nice thing about the Q3 is you couldn't beat the price when they had the rebate going. I got my set for $190.

Nice form! All roads lead to the Q's. now to find that rebate (rebate gone) and best price...

I went with the Q3's, have not mounted them up yet. Best bargain out there.

Seems like we will be on the same tires next time. Ok, gotta start hunting you down on the back section...must go faster

Last track day I tried a set of Dunlop Q3's
I am a confessed Michelin fan but have loved the Sport Touring Pirelli Angel GT for the street and cannot fault the Q3's on the track.
They warm up quickly and have much more lean angle than street tires will ever need. I was previously unable to touch down the stock peg feelers (ohlins rear shock at max ride height and built front forks as well) but had to remove the pegs feelers for the track as I was dragging my peg.

Thanks Carver!

Nice form! All roads lead to the Q's. now to find that rebate (rebate gone) and best price...

vfrAustin,

FYI, if you can't find the rebate on Q3s, you wouldn't be going wrong getting Q2s. You can get those for $200 from motosport right now

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/DUNLOP-SPORTMAX-Q2-TIRE-COMBO

I didn't notice a difference when I switched from Q2s to Q3s. I only got the Q3s because at the time you could get them cheaper.

The one thing I will say about the Dunlops I've used: They seem to be VERY stiff when it comes to mounting the tires. If you do your own tire changes, FYI. I have had to inflate them to 70psi or more to get them to seat onto the rim. In comparison i've mounted a few sets of Pilot Road 3s and 4s and they slip on with minimal issue and pressure. Something about the Dunlops makes them tough. I've heard D211s are even more difficult...and i've heard you can get some Pirelli tires on without even using spoons. Neither of those statements i've confirmed

• Member Contributer

vfrAustin,

FYI, if you can't find the rebate on Q3s, you wouldn't be going wrong getting Q2s. You can get those for $200 from motosport right now

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/DUNLOP-SPORTMAX-Q2-TIRE-COMBO

I didn't notice a difference when I switched from Q2s to Q3s. I only got the Q3s because at the time you could get them cheaper.

The one thing I will say about the Dunlops I've used: They seem to be VERY stiff when it comes to mounting the tires. If you do your own tire changes, FYI. I have had to inflate them to 70psi or more to get them to seat onto the rim. In comparison i've mounted a few sets of Pilot Road 3s and 4s and they slip on with minimal issue and pressure. Something about the Dunlops makes them tough. I've heard D211s are even more difficult...and i've heard you can get some Pirelli tires on without even using spoons. Neither of those statements i've confirmed

Outstanding! Thanks

• Member Contributer

I bought a set of Pirelli SuperCorsa for my track bike project...

... don't have any feedback yet but your question only asked what are you using :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have pushed on Pirelli supercorsa rears...needed spoons for front. Q2 fron t has to be the most difficult tire ever to put on a rim though I will say I've only mounted 12 or 13 pairs of tires myself...

On track the Dunlop's do feel different than Pirellis...not worse or better...just different. As feel stable-ish...Pirellis feel more squishy but sticky and a little more feedback from the front tire...the Q being stiffer I feel the feedback more through the handle bars and whole front end...not sure how that translates...

• Member Contributer

While I am far from an expert, I am a huge fan of Dunlop Q3s as I have noted in other posts on VFRD and other forums. My experience is validated the more I read about them from guys like gilkeyb who is dragging elbows (perfect form!). In short, they are made of magic. They wear MUCH better than Q2s, and IMHO are a better value than the Q2s (depending on how much you value your time spent with extra tire changes). Stick like glue, even wear, long lasting, neutral feel. The majority of riders will not have the skill to expose their deficiencies even on track (especially if your track application is for fun and not for winning races). The Keith Code California Superbike school runs them on the S1000rr track bikes, and I would imagine they were chosen for their combination of performance and wear (sponsorship aside). I run them on my K12S and will run them on the VFR once the PR2s are done. While these are admittedly street bikes, those who know me will attest that they hold up well in aggressive conditions for that purpose, as well.

• Member Contributer

I typically run Pirelli Supercorsa. And I will confirm that they are much easier to mount than Dunlops which has a much stiffer sidewall. Keep in mind that if you have your suspension set up for Pirelli's that the Dunlops will require a different set up for ideal results.

• Member Contributer

Pirelli's are easy to mount, plush...stick like glue and have an interesting, but not "bad" feedback...and wear well.

IMO Q's (at least the Q1 and Q2's) are a pain to mount (but worth it), firm-ish --don't squirm - , have good feedback when the front is set up a little more stiff, stick like glue and wear great.

You can't go wrong with either...

• 3 weeks later...

Pirelli Superbike Pro Slicks.

They look like a race tire, but use street compound rubber on a slick. No warmers needed, stick like glue, and last 2.5 times or more than a race tire to me.

• 3 months later...

Current slicks are Dunlap NTec's. Ran them last year too at Barber, Mid Ohio, Homestead and PBIR. Great grip with a wide temperature range with the medium compound. Even in very cold temps at Barber last year in November they did very well and when they did start to lose grip it was not terrifying like some, they were predictable.

• Member Contributer

Current slicks are Dunlap NTec's. Ran them last year too at Barber, Mid Ohio, Homestead and PBIR. Great grip with a wide temperature range with the medium compound. Even in very cold temps at Barber last year in November they did very well and when they did start to lose grip it was not terrifying like some, they were predictable.

Warmers? I dont want to get into having to use warmers as of now.

• 2 months later...

Archived