Cali Lane Splitting Riders. Help The Petition...

bayarearider

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting this up. Lane splitting is OK so long as it's done w/ prudent judgement and caution. It's the rogue riders who are making motorists upset, and ultimately this privilege will be disallowed.

• Member Contributer

Done. This is ridiculous. The CHP also suggests slowing down during adverse conditions such as fog or heavy rain. Should this "guideline" also be banished? The CA Office of Administrative Law has it's head up it's tailpipe on this issue.

• Member Contributer

The abc video is incorrect, it states "don't split lanes when traffic is moving LESS than 30 miles per hour.

Obviously it should be don't split lanes when traffic is traveling OVER 35 miles per hour.

California's legal lane splitting law has always seemed at odds with our ongoing 40 years of trying to remove all personal choices and trying to legislate and limit all of your life choices.

It's still strange and a bit odd, to be in other states, an see motorcyclists without helmets but not able to lane split.

Lots of conflicting videos (Splitting lanes on solid or solid yellow lines?) and comments (riders shouldn't split lanes when cars are stopped) on various news reports. What a Joke.

Some of the exact reasons why the guidelines should be posted on CHP's and DMV's sites.

As mentioned, there are numerous guidelines, for new drivers, truckers, bicyclist, etc.

Why not Motorcyclists?

Because some group with a fancy attorney caught the ear of a sympathetic judge? Please...

I had thought that there was at least one other state that allowed lane sharing so this Is pretty concerning.

• Member Contributer
I was fearful that when the CHP high lighted lane splitting in a positive way
someone would feel this action is negative... now I'm afraid if you push the
issue the legislature will feel the need to settle the whole mess by passing a law
making it illegal... I think its best to walk away quietly and just enjoy lane
splitting like we always have...

For decades, California has been the only state to permit lane
splitting. While not specifically permitted or prohibited in the
California Vehicle Code, lane splitting authority comes from the
California Highway Patrol. In those decades I recall 3 Legislative attempts to
pass an anti lane sharing bill and all 3 were killed by members of the CHP on
grounds this law would prevent them from filtering through heavy L.A. traffic...

Thats the only reason I ride to work..seeing that I take 3 different frwys.....always have to split lanes .... Not going to sit there waiting to become a sandwitch with every other cager doing everything but paying attention....and who wants to be sucking exhaust fumes parked on a frwy anyways?

Sent that thread to at least 20 friends that ride.

Had a few say that if they take it away..they wont ride anymore

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

vfrcapn, on 26 Jul 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

With the CHP on our side I think we're going to be ok.

You would think that lane splitting would be beneficial and remain in favor with Moto-Chp's but I can't say I've ever seen a Chp practice it in reality.

Their presence is usually known well enough in advance that their path becomes unobstructed. (I've witnessed that)

Moreover, I can't say I've ever seen a Moto-Chp in true freeway gridlock. Anyone??

(This goes for Motor-patrolmen in general. Can't say I've seen them maneuvering in gridlock when I'm back East)

So I don't think there would be any drama for M-Chp's if lane splitting were outlawed. :/

They would still have lights and shoulders, unethical or not, to work with.

Commuting, for me would definitely go away as I would not be able to resist.

Even the pleasure riding would be negatively impacted given the congestion in and out of "civilization".

This is a crucial crossroad for this Bay Area Rider...

• Member Contributer

I was in LA first week in June during evening rush hour ,a total of three CHPs officers passed in an hour among twenty some odd bikes. Defiantely looked like they were utilizing it to me, they were also out of visual range within a matter of minutes while we just sat there.

• Member Contributer

I often see chp patrol splitting lanes during my commutes. I have been passed by them many times while splitting myself. They are quite often moving faster than the now removed guidline. I have also fallen in behind them several times, and usually get waves when we head off in different directions.

Losing the ability to legally lane split would likely put me on the wrong side of the law, and that would be a first. ;-)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

The abc video is incorrect, it states "don't split lanes when traffic is moving LESS than 30 miles per hour.

Obviously it should be don't split lanes when traffic is traveling OVER 35 miles per hour.

California's legal lane splitting law has always seemed at odds with our ongoing 40 years of trying to remove all personal choices and trying to legislate and limit all of your life choices.

It's still strange and a bit odd, to be in other states, an see motorcyclists without helmets but not able to lane split.

There is so much truth in this, it's not even funny. On my trip to Nashville etc, I saw inumerous people riding without helmets. Freaking creeped me out. I rode over pavement so coarse that I had my hackles raised and I was wrapped in leather with armor and yet these people would fly down the freeway without even so much as flipping gloves on!! But God himself personally forbid you from splitting lanes, even when it's 97 degrees out and F'ing high humidity and stopped traffic for three miles! A few times I nearly passed out but somehow that is better than splitting lanes!

Yeah, I am going to definitely add my voice to maintain lane splitting here.

• Member Contributer

"Their presence is usually known well enough in advance that their path becomes unobstructed.
Moreover, I can't say I've ever seen a Moto-Chp in true freeway gridlock. Anyone??"

I'm forced to commute 54 miles a day mostly on the 210 parking lot.

I utilize a van pool, drive and ride, usually riding 2-3 days a week and I see several motorcycle hp's most days.

And they are lane splitting if in stop and go traffic.

I've followed them several times from Pasadena to past the 57 fwy and they are not always yielded the right away, but they make it known that they are not happy about being blocked by drivers.

I haven't seen them give any tickets for blocking but I've seen them pull over single occupancy cars and pull over drivers crossing the double yellow right in front of them.

Recently I had to stop as one Mhp made a truck pulling a trailer move out of the car pool lane.

The truck did not want to move out of the lane and the Mhp stopped in the car pool lane and pointed and used his PA to order him to move out of the lane, and then he waved him into the right lanes. But he didn't give him a ticket.

• Member Contributer

Not only have I seen motor cops lane splitting, I've had two move out of my way and let me by! They were riding together I guess and were probably just cruising checking drivers out while they were splitting lanes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The key to keeping lane splitting legal is not to ride like an A$$ when doing it. Yesterday I saw 3 "hooligan" riders, you know the ones who wear jeans, sneakers and t-shirts with the ICON back protector! These three were going well beyond the 10 MPH above traffic guideline and swerving in and out of the HOV lane, yes crossing the double yellows while doing it. Traffic was actually moving at a decent clip too. I would say I was averaging around 65 in the HOV lane when I moved over to let them by.

Although I do from time to time hit the double yellows when a car doesn't move over even though they know I'm splitting lanes, purposeful blocking perhaps, but usually I don't have a need to cross over, it's actually one of my biggest pet leaves when cars do it. I usually wait a least a few minutes or miles before I do pass them while hitting/crossing the double yellows.

Not to say that these riders were the only ones being a$$hats, there was one vehicle I saw cross back and forth over the double yellows to pass cars or would get impatient with traffic flow, dive out, ride with lane 1 traffic and then dive back in the HOV lane when lane 1 started slowing down. Funny thing was I stayed where I was in the HOV lane and kept a steady pace and the driver was never more that two cars in front of me!

I ride about 350.. miles a week to work and always use the diamond lane..average speed 72....and not ONCE have I seen any asshat get pulled over for tailgating me or passing me over the double yellow....get a kick out of when I pass them in stopped traffic and wave at them......just have to watch them hug the line when I pass. Those dickwads you talk about D with the tshirts and back protectors....had one pass me in the diamond lane at about 90 mph over the double and see it ALL the time with ear piercing exhaust systems.....those are the dick bags that people notice...no respect for anyone punks

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Archived