Doesn't Sound The Same?

Epyon007

In the videos the 1200 doesn't sound much like the 800. Is that the videos sucking or does the 1200 really sound more like an I4 under load?

It's a little more complicated than that- though the VFR1200 has 76 degree cylinder angles, it has offset crank pins, and winds up with basically the same balance and firing order as a 90 degree cylinder layouts .

This other post talks about this in some detail, with a visual explanation.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74742-the-honda-vfr-v4-engine-sound-explained-visually/

Now, firing order isn't the only thing defining the sound; I have a '98 VFR800, an ST1300, and the VFR1200 (guess I'm a sucker for Honda V4's, but at least I don't have a Magna or Saber... ) and they sound quite a bit different, partly due to the "other stuff" like the intake system, cam drive, etc. The 1300 is a fracking blender, for all practical purposes... strangest sounding motorcycle I've ever owned. The 800 at load sounds OK, but idle is a bit strange... the 1200F with the flapper wired open is by far my favorite. But I still think an Akropovic is in the future for all of them...

Interesting. Well if I get chance to demo one I'll see what I think. At idle the 1200 sounds fantastic!!! Especially with the DAM exhaust. There is a local shop that still has a left over '10 for sale they are asking 11k for it. Thats on the high end for me and the Insurance is about $200 a year more than a '06 800. That's a lot of extra money, add on top of that exhaust (stock is pretty much the most ugly thing ever devised by mankind) and a remap. Not to mention luggage too. It does sound like there are good things coming down the pipe for the 6th gen though. The extra juice of the 1200 would be nice as all the other bikes I would like (but are still just out of my logical range) have 150hp or so. I have a problem paying more for my motorcycle then my car living in the frozen north...

• Member Contributer

A guy on another forum was going to part out a Mutistrada after 3x,xxx miles because maintenance was cost prohibitive.

Ducati schmucati.

The VFR 1200 is more appealing to me.

• Member Contributer

I came across this article on wikipedia about engine balance that made some specific comments about the 1200's configuration. Here's the passage about the 1200 motor vs a 90 degree V4. There's a lot more in the article about other engine configurations as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance#Secondary_balance

V4 engines come in vastly different configurations in terms of the 'V' angle and crankshaft shapes. Lancia Fulvia V4 engines with narrow V angle have crank pin phase offset corresponding to the V angle, so the firing spacing (phase pattern) is exactly like an ordinary inline-four. But some V4s have irregular firing spacing, and each design needs to be considered separately in terms of all the balancing items.

For example, Honda VFR1200F engine basically is a transversely mounted 76° V4 with a 360° shared-crank-pin crankshaft, but the conrod orientation is an unusual front-rear-rear-front (as opposed to the normal fore-aft-fore-aft) with much wider bore spacing (distance between cylinder centers) on the front bank than on the rear, which results in significantly reduced rocking couples at the expense of wider engine width. Furthermore, the shared crank pin is split and has 28° phase offset, resulting in 256°-104°-256°-104° firing spacing, which is irregular within a 360° crankshaft rotation but evenly distributed from one rotation to another. This compares to a 90° V4 with 180° crankshaft (e.g. Honda RC36 engine) that has 180°-270°-180°-90° firing spaced unevenly within 360 degrees and within 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation.[7]

A guy on another forum was going to part out a Mutistrada after 3x,xxx miles because maintenance was cost prohibitive.

Ducati schmucati.

The VFR 1200 is more appealing to me.

The potential price tag of the VFR is quite appealing. The more upright seating position is desirable thing but I bet I can get used to a VFR. It is unfortunate that it appears you kinda need the reflash atleast to fix Honda's miscalculations. Pipes are a given on most any bike. So I guess it's not too bad just gotta try out a 6th and 7th gen to see what I like. It would be nice to have the extra punch of the 1200. I don't know if the new developments in the 6th gen department will get me a good boost over a stock engine. The new 800 would be an option but it's just too much money. I love the look and the refreshed things about it but it's still a big ask.

I went from a 08 1000RR to a '10 1200F. If I have to compare then, I love the CBR more (at the track), but on the street I prefer the VFR. slip on is a given, air filter, cat delete, PC/bazzaz and it runs much better. Stock fueling is crap. No one makes a bolt on midpipe, but either get it custom fabbed, or there is a Y pipe thats pretty close you can buy online and have welded. The bazzaz (i have a z-afm from the race bike I borrow) was the biggest help to throttle smoothness. Mine bucked around and lurched at low RPM sometimes, as others have reported.

For the pipe, I put on the competition werks. Nice pipe, too loud without the insert IMO (as in your neighbors are going to come talk to you), insert is too quiet. Without the insert its at least as loud as the jardine RT-5 (straight through) on the race bike. I have a "modified" insert which is sounds about right. Nice gurgle around town so you can hear that V4, and pretty much shuts up on the highway to me, but cars around you will still hear you (not irritating loud, but

It really blows that stock the bike is so rough around the edges. It makes buying one a risky proposition. You can listen to a million reviews but at the end of the day it's feels like what it feels like to you, not anyone else. So do you buy a bike and hope that after all the mods are done that you like it? With what everyone says about it I can't imagine not liking it if your "ok" with the stock set up. But semi blindly spend 8-10k is sketchy... If I was to take the leap I would get a slip on and a remap. I imagine it's going to have plenty of power for me as it is. I'm used to a 100hp Street Triple but wouldn't mind the extra juice.

I was in the same boat. Just for shtis and giggles, my wife and I went up to Larson Cycle up in Cambridge to check out their leftover 2010. I talked them into letting me take the bike for a spin and I was immediately sold on the bike. BUT, I was coming from an FJR1300 looking for something more sporty so YMMV. I came back the next day and bought it... I ALSO paid quite a bit less than the 14k advertised price since they didn't have room for the bike on the showroom floor and it was actually being stored in the warehouse.

Great bike. DAM exhaust is a little loud with no baffle, and I'm saving up for an ECU reflash. There are some quirks to the bike, but Big Red did quite a few things right with that bike. They are just overshadowed by the nay-sayers on the internet who like to nit pick.

Thats good to hear. Luther Honda in St. Cloud still has a '10 sitting around and I'm a Luther employee so maybe I can get a good deal. Though one of these is stretching my budget a tad depending on interest rate of a loan and me doubling my deductable. I was pretty surprised to see how much insurance was for me on this thing. 34 years old, no accidents, no claims for the past 6 years, many other products purchased from State Farm and a loan through their bank and it was $511 a year (at $500 deduct, $311 at 1k deductable)... Is that extra juice worth it over a $5-6k VFR 800 and insurance being $296 a year with the same deducatable...hmmmm Still pending a demo ride of each bike.

• Member Contributer

Crakerjac,

Where are you located in Minnesota? I'm in Southwest Minneapolis.

Epyon,

Honda Town on Lake Street has a new leftover 2010 VFR1200 on their showroom floor. I assume they don't allow test rides.

Crakerjac,

Where are you located in Minnesota? I'm in Southwest Minneapolis.

I'm currently in Eden Prairie.

Hmmm I should go look at that one. Thanks for the heads up! Did they only come in red in '10 do we know?

Yes. Red was the only color in 2010.

• Member Contributer

Is "poobah" native american for "deer slayer"?????

;-)

hahaaha!! He told me the story... ouch

Do any of you guys know someone that is looking to trade their 1200 in at Motoprimo? I was there today and I heard there was a possiblity that one was coming in on trade.

• Member Contributer

We ought to arrange a Minnesota meet & greet. MaxSwell is the Grand Poobah of the MN Chapter of VFRD.

:-)

PooBah huh?! I never was able to hurd all these MN cats for a meet-up. Was more than a little humbling (humbugging). I usually attend Dulono's Pizza Bike Night (first Thursdays). I see VFRs but never come across the owners. (BTW - they now serve beer in the parking lot. Not that I'm a drinker.)

That event would make a default meet-up place and time, say 6pm - 6:30pm. Me and a buddy usually go for an afternoon ride before that time.

Also, Bob's Java Hut has a standing meet up for day rides at 10am both Saturdays and Sundays. Just show up and ride. It's a little early in the day for me but I have intentions to do it soon.

Carry on you MN Cats.

(Sorry for the highjack Doug.)

Archived