Doesn't Sound The Same?

Epyon007

• Member Contributer

No problem Terry. You can lend me your Yellow bike for the weekend to make up for it HAHAHA.

Yes I could. I've got the new brake lever installed. Woops, I just reread your post. Not for the weekend but you could borrow it for a bike night ride. Just remember: you bust it ...

You are such a jokester!

• Member Contributer

Don't waffle too much on which VFR you want...the riding season clock is ticking. 5th Gens are a bargain: either MaxSwell's or the Y2K in the FDP classifieds in Superior, WI...unless you're violently opposed to yellow.

I won't be riding this weekend as I have my kids.

Well I'm still waiting on the Insurance company to finish up with my Street Triple. But yes the season is flying by. I'm not to huge on yellow but that's what paint is for ;).

• Member Contributer

Doug, I think I might be up for a ride this weekend. Can you call me Sat morn say at 7:30 or 8. I don't know if I have your number, or if I can find it if I do.

• Member Contributer

That's awful early for you Terry, isn't it?

Awful is the right word! But I need to get cafeinated prior; want to keep the 10am Bob's Java Hut option open.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little more complicated than that- though the VFR1200 has 76 degree cylinder angles, it has offset crank pins, and winds up with basically the same balance and firing order as a 90 degree cylinder layouts .

This other post talks about this in some detail, with a visual explanation.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74742-the-honda-vfr-v4-engine-sound-explained-visually/

Now, firing order isn't the only thing defining the sound; I have a '98 VFR800, an ST1300, and the VFR1200 (guess I'm a sucker for Honda V4's, but at least I don't have a Magna or Saber... ) and they sound quite a bit different, partly due to the "other stuff" like the intake system, cam drive, etc. The 1300 is a fracking blender, for all practical purposes... strangest sounding motorcycle I've ever owned. The 800 at load sounds OK, but idle is a bit strange... the 1200F with the flapper wired open is by far my favorite. But I still think an Akropovic is in the future for all of them...

The firing interval and crankpin phasing is different. The VFR1200 has a 76' vee plus a 28' crankpin offset, so pairs of cylinders fire 104' apart as rotating couples. So the engine fires at 104--256--104--256. It also inverts the firing order, so the sound is a lot like 2 parallel twins running at the same time.

Archived