First Vfr Issue... Happy Ending...

I had a issue with the finish on my gas cap. It looks like the previous owner tried to paint it and then tried to paint it back to the original color. I waxed it and the paint came off. The details are here: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78381-first-vfr-issue/page-2

The short version is that the cap looked like this:

post-30558-0-61348700-1405283443.jpg

I couldn't get it to look right and I didn't want to paint it with home paint - they aren't really resistant to chemicals and gasoline and they never look right unless done really, really well.

I didn't want a crappy Chinese knock off - they don't vent properly and the fit and finish is usually questionable.

I went on eBay and found a OEM RC51 fuel cap that was straight - but visibly marred (NOTE: The Honda fuel caps with 7 bolts will fit any other Honda with 7 bolts and the 3 mount bolts are the same, but the trim bolts have different sizes.) 5 days and $30 later I had it in my hands.

I put it on the Interceptor and pulled the original and cleaned it and pulled it apart (what a PITA) and sent it out for powder coating services. I will be happy to divulge the name of the company - not sure about forum rules on that - but the service was outstanding. I was told it would be 2-3 weeks since I selected a custom color (Satin Titanium) and it arrived in 1 week. Finish is perfect and it looks great.

The powder coating service was $21 plus shipping.

I am considering sending the other cap out and having it done in a satin black; I am sending the top yoke to have it powder coated and I am not sure which color. It might be nice to have two examples handy before I pick the color.

Anyway, here is the finished product installed:

post-30558-0-77876000-1405284116.jpg

post-30558-0-53880700-1405284132.jpg

post-30558-0-20854100-1405284147.jpg

On the fence a little about the golden tone bolts but the silver ones look funky next to the titanium. But I am totally pleased with the cap itself.

The gas cap was cheaper...

I would have gone with black screws, but that's just me.

C

I thought about black... I will probably order some when I send the second gas cap in for powder coating. I was hoping the gold bolts would highlight the gold tone of the titanium.

• Member Contributer

Looks excellent; the PO of my bike simply put the fake carbon fibre stickers on mine but I'm looking to do a black powdercoat at some point (especially now after seeing these pics).

• Member Contributer

I like the gold - now you need one or two more gold accents on the bike. If you have access to a little cabinet blaster I'd try hitting the second cap with plastic media or baking soda. The powder coat people probably did that anyway.

Is the affection for gold bolts/escutcheons, valve caps et. al. a hold-over from the brass era, of nearly a century ago? Or that gaudy period of the late 50's(?), with 3 color factory paint jobs and gold metalized emblems and script? Tacky, tacky. I picked up a quite nice '92 FZR 400, not long ago. Removing the gold bits returned it to looking like a credible sport bike/racer again. As always: Everyone's mileage varies. Good fortune, R3~

I like the gold - now you need one or two more gold accents on the bike. If you have access to a little cabinet blaster I'd try hitting the second cap with plastic media or baking soda. The powder coat people probably did that anyway.

I don't have easy access to a blasting cabinet. Yes, the powder coating place media blasts the parts prior to powder coating them.

I am having the top triple clamp powder coated (black or titanium remains to be seen) and I will probably go with gold bolts upon re-install. I really don't want to get too "blingy" if I keep the gold. They are more brass looking than gold, but still...

Looks excellent; the PO of my bike simply put the fake carbon fibre stickers on mine but I'm looking to do a black powdercoat at some point (especially now after seeing these pics).

If you PM me I'll be happy to provide the name of the place that did mine. Twenty one bucks plus shipping and the part was back in my hand within a week - even with the custom color. It was actually much easier than finding one of the places locally and driving to and from the place to get the part done for the same price. At least in my opinion.

Here it is with the silver bolts. Looks good... the color difference is more pronounced in the sunlight but it still looks pretty good with silver. Not as "blingy."

post-30558-0-57565200-1406070395.jpg

post-30558-0-10538300-1406070414.jpg

The second cap and triple clamp are leaving for a gloss black treatment on Saturday.

Archived