Got Rear Ended (Again!)

arrow

• Member Contributer

Just got rear ended by an inattentive pickup truck driver as I was waiting to join the main road a couple of hours ago. The impact was pretty sizable, his bumper got bent. I didn't fall down thank god. When I saw the truck's bumper, I thought my swingarm or wheel would both be damaged real bad but to my surprise they are both fine. The bike tracks straight, no weird noises from the wheel hub or anything. So I guess the tire absorbed the impact. The licence plate is bent, the tail (where the bags are attached) is cracked, but nothing else is damaged as far as I can see. I'll never stay in the same line as cars next time, I'll move to the right hand side so I have no cagers behind me.

I'll get the bike to my mechanic this Wednesday (to have a Hyperpro shock and fork springs installed - both progressive) so I'll have him check for damages, but I sure could your advise as well guys. Any suggestions where we should check on the 1200F?

post-5871-0-11551500-1404068983.jpg

• Member Contributer

Naaah, I'll be paying for everything. The guy was pretty poor, I doubt he even had proper insurance so I told him to get outta my sight...

• Member Contributer

Bummer, I have been rear ended 3 times, once when I was on my Ducati and twice while in my car, these two were on the same street too! I was lucky all 3 times, the other person's insurance covered the damages. I was really "lucky" (if you can even say that) with the Duc as the person who hit me was the owner of a tow truck service and they even came by with their flat bed truck and took it to the Ducati dealer for me.

Now regarding your 1200, being that it is shaft driven, I would take extra caution on having the drive train inspected especially if the rear tire took most of the impact.

S***..your lucky bud ...always stay to the left and ALWAYS have it in gear while stopped...for a quick escape....with everyone texting...talking ..eating...ect always watch your back

JMO.....

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

The truck was an Isuzu light truck, not like the full size trucks in the US, but it still weighed around 1.5 tonnes (it was a double cab with people riding in the bed - that's Turkish countryside for you)...

Thanks guys, I'll be taking the bike to my Honda dealer this Wednesday, I think there's nothing serious...

• Member Contributer

Was his name Ufuk??

:-)

(This was the name of off the duty manager at the Movenpick hotel in Istanbul)

• Member Contributer

Was his name Ufuk??

:-)

(This was the name of off the duty manager at the Movenpick hotel in Istanbul)

I'm pretty sure he wasn't working at Movenpick Leon :-), . The incident took place about 130 km northwest of Istanbul by the way. Nice roads, though a bit too bumpy, so probably more suitable for adventure type bikes but I still have fun on the 1200F. I'm now praying that the frame and the shaft drive/swingarm is OK, if not than I'm in big trouble. I'm lucky that he hit me at a right angle, anything else would've sent me tumbling down and would be more likely to bend something. I think the tire saved the bike...

Archived