Aftermarket Pipes For Gen 8

dogman

I received my IXIL Hyperlow today. Overall I'm happy with it. The sound with the Db killers out is vast improvement over stock. I did have a little trouble removing one Db Killer. The fit was a little too tight and required the assistance of vice grips. The other Db killer fell right out after removing the set screw.

This setup clears the factory panniers with ease. Even though the exhaust is aimed at the underside of the pannier, it doesn't transfer any heat to the bags.

http://store-qb658eeq.mybigcommerce.com/ixil-l3xb-black-hyperlow-xl-exhaust-honda-vfr-800-f-2014-2015/#.VgOJLMtVhBc

I'll try and get a video up in the next day or two.

jpreNZch.jpg

2N4DEwPh.jpg

oXLywGeh.jpg

PBtmUdZh.jpg

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I received my IXIL Hyperlow today. Overall I'm happy with it. The sound with the Db killers out is vast improvement over stock. I did have a little trouble removing one Db Killer. The fit was a little too tight and required the assistance of vice grips. The other Db killer fell right out after removing the set screw.

This setup clears the factory panniers with ease. Even though the exhaust is aimed at the underside of the pannier, it doesn't transfer any heat to the bags.

http://store-qb658eeq.mybigcommerce.com/ixil-l3xb-black-hyperlow-xl-exhaust-honda-vfr-800-f-2014-2015/#.VgOJLMtVhBc

I'll try and get a video up in the next day or two.

2N4DEwPh.jpg

Holy shit! I want to put that on my 5th gen! I like! :fing02:

that white is sweet looking bike. can you flip the silver tips of that slipon so the longer is on top?

I suppose it's possible with a little work. The tips are a separate piece, but they're attached with rivets. You'd need to drill out the rivets and reattach them somehow. Also, the inside of the pipe is a different length as well. The shorter tip should cover up the inner bit, but it would be very close to showing.

I've ridden a few hundred miles with the new pipes, and there's no sign of trouble with the bags. The exhaust side bag has a large heatshield under it, but given the clearance I doubt there'd be an issue without it. The stock pipe actually comes closer to the bag, though the gasses are not aimed at it.

I think the next step is a fender eliminator for those bagless days.

• Member Contributer

Now i think the only reason i even brought it up is because of the silver color, not so much the angle. if the tip matched the wheel color or was just solid black i never would have noticed it, but man i like that white bike.

Grab a tail-tidy (fender eliminator) quick, I'm down to the last 6 from the production batch, with no plans to do another run.

I think the next step is a fender eliminator for those bagless days.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really liking the look of the IXIL L3XB in black. It's also one of the cheaper options. I have a e-mail into them to find out if it fits under the factory luggage.

http://www.ixilusa.com/ixil-l3xb-black-hyperlow-xl-exhaust-honda-vfr-800-f-2014-2015/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0#.VYBLbvlVhBc

Not my bike, but a good shot of it.

KxjSlsH.jpg
b4k7pnS.jpg

Wow... you just scared the hell out of me!

That is my bike, I totally forgot that I posted those pics to reddit.

Glad you like it, I love the exhaust.

Wow... you just scared the hell out of me! That is my bike, I totally forgot that I posted those pics to reddit. Glad you like it, I love the exhaust.

Whereabouts in Aus are you, Mansonitefirefox? I'm really curious to see (hear) what those IXIL pipes sound like in the flesh. You-tube clips just never do a pipe justice.

Cheers - C.

:biggrin: Already got the two bros slip on but does anybody make a header that eliminates the cat? I know I will probably need a power commander and dyno tuning but am willing to go that rout to get a bit more power with less weight.

:biggrin: Already got the two bros slip on but does anybody make a header that eliminates the cat? I know I will probably need a power commander and dyno tuning but am willing to go that rout to get a bit more power with less weight.

Not yet. The Motad headers from a 6th gen would fit BUT no good because you wouldn't be able to fit the front radiator on. The 8th gen front headers are spread wider than the 6th gens but otherwise the geometry is the same.

Honestly in my opinion it really isn't worth it.

When I had my 6th gen I experimented a lot, firstly by removing the cat from the OEM headers, then going all out and fitting motads, PC5 etc etc and in each case the gains were marginal in relation to the amount of work and cost involved.

However my 6th gens fuelling was very bad before the changes and really good afterwards, so from that perspective it was worth it.

My gen 8 fuelling is perfect out of the box with the Akrapovic on it, and my philosophy now is if it aint broke dont fix it.

That does look good. How loud is it with the baffles out?

Neighbours complained 4 hours after I took the baffles out, but really it's not that loud, but much louder than the akro or arrow.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Wow... you just scared the hell out of me! That is my bike, I totally forgot that I posted those pics to reddit. Glad you like it, I love the exhaust.

Whereabouts in Aus are you, Mansonitefirefox? I'm really curious to see (hear) what those IXIL pipes sound like in the flesh. You-tube clips just never do a pipe justice.

Cheers - C.

Perth. Happy to show it to you if you are in WA.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Not yet. The Motad headers from a 6th gen would fit BUT no good because you wouldn't be able to fit the front radiator on. The 8th gen front headers are spread wider than the 6th gens but otherwise the geometry is the same.

Honestly in my opinion it really isn't worth it.

When I had my 6th gen I experimented a lot, firstly by removing the cat from the OEM headers, then going all out and fitting motads, PC5 etc etc and in each case the gains were marginal in relation to the amount of work and cost involved.

However my 6th gens fuelling was very bad before the changes and really good afterwards, so from that perspective it was worth it.

My gen 8 fuelling is perfect out of the box with the Akrapovic on it, and my philosophy now is if it aint broke dont fix it.

Fitting a Motad header isn't going all out, it is just a stock 98/99 header reproduction. I had one on my 2007 for a few years. It was lighter and a little louder, but thats about it. There was no power gain. Then I finally found an old Two Brother's race header/Full system. The Two Brother's Race header lost a little below 3000 Rpms, but made HUGE gains above 7000 RPMs.

So I read through every single page of this thread, googled for hours and narrowed the list of exhausts that I deemed acceptable down to three. My criteria were:

- not obnoxiously loud

- Looked good and showed off as much of the rear wheel as possible

- Worked with Panniers

The options were the Arrow Proracing system, the DAM, and the SC-Project conic. In the end, the SC-Project won out. This is a different model of the SC-Project to one that was showcased in this thread: http://motoroar.com.au/honda-vfr-800-f.html

I've ordered one (which has to be built and shipped from Italy). I'm expecting it sometime around Christmas.

When it arrives I'll create some videos (with good audio) for comparison.

Where I live, cops have been cracking down on bikes with excessive noise in the canyons. (Dozens of straight-pipe Harleys have been busted this season locally).

I have had no problem with my Akrapovic, which I run without the baffle. I did have to point out the lasered certification on the inboard surface of the can to the cop who checked, because he had been trained to believe ANY non-factory can is illegal. Bad training. But the bike passed his (questionable) inspection. I say questionable because I was stopped with engine off at the time he rolled up on me.

My fueling is perfect with the Akrapovic, the sound is great, and it looks good to me. No need to tempt a ticket with a smaller volume, louder can.

• Member Contributer

Where I live, cops have been cracking down on bikes with excessive noise in the canyons. (Dozens of straight-pipe Harleys have been busted this season locally).

I have had no problem with my Akrapovic, which I run without the baffle. I did have to point out the lasered certification on the inboard surface of the can to the cop who checked, because he had been trained to believe ANY non-factory can is illegal. Bad training. But the bike passed his (questionable) inspection. I say questionable because I was stopped with engine off at the time he rolled up on me.

My fueling is perfect with the Akrapovic, the sound is great, and it looks good to me. No need to tempt a ticket with a smaller volume, louder can.

Colorado? Or California?

By and large, the overwhelming majority of aftermarket cans are indeed illegal. The training isn't quite as bad as you think.

As for questionable inspections, your Akrapovič no longer conforms to its certification after the baffle has been removed, and depending on where you are most likely also fails to comply with state law and some city laws just as much as those straight-pipe -equipped Hardleys. So frankly, if there was any bad training, it was the officer's failure to check for a baffle that led to you getting away with the Akrapovič in its current state.

I've seen much worse training from cops - even the NYPD's infamous HWY motorcycle cops - here in NYC. I had one genius from HWY point at the OEM can on my 4th gen and say "nice aftermarket pipe there" in a lame attempt to get me to confess to something because he hadn't the vaguest clue what he was looking at. What a maroon... Oh yeah, when I confronted the genius his excuse was "well I don't know $#!+ about jap bikes." Nice language from New York City's Finest.

No need to tempt a ticket with a smaller volume, louder can.

The thing I liked about the SC-Project is that it's street legal in Europe (with the baffle in)... I'm not certain what the specs are for them here in Australia and if it's compliant, but being compliant somewhere has got to at least be an indication that it's not overly loud ;)

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

I am selling my Arrow Pro Racing exhaust ( see more pictures on Page 25 of this thread) I have three sets of exhausts so one has to go. The Arrow is carbon tipped has had very little use and are in absolutely perfect condition ( no scratches, marks, dents), they are highly polished Nickel/Chrome. They are compatible with the Honda panniers. It took me 5 weeks the get them and cost me $834AU. Asking $550AU hopefully to someone in Australia or overseas if they are happy to organise shipping. If you are local I will happily fit them to your bike if needed. Email me if interested grumsmith@hotmail.com

Cheers.

Grum

post-30826-0-79584200-1446018296.jpg

post-30826-0-33466000-1446018378.jpg

Colorado? Or California?

By and large, the overwhelming majority of aftermarket cans are indeed illegal. The training isn't quite as bad as you think.

As for questionable inspections, your Akrapovič no longer conforms to its certification after the baffle has been removed, and depending on where you are most likely also fails to comply with state law and some city laws just as much as those straight-pipe -equipped Hardleys. So frankly, if there was any bad training, it was the officer's failure to check for a baffle that led to you getting away with the Akrapovič in its current state.

I've seen much worse training from cops - even the NYPD's infamous HWY motorcycle cops - here in NYC. I had one genius from HWY point at the OEM can on my 4th gen and say "nice aftermarket pipe there" in a lame attempt to get me to confess to something because he hadn't the vaguest clue what he was looking at. What a maroon... Oh yeah, when I confronted the genius his excuse was "well I don't know $#!+ about jap bikes." Nice language from New York City's Finest.

It passed the sound meter test. Not sure there's anything else to say.

Archived