Best Mesh Jacket

After riding today in the 90 degree sun, I have decided to keep and eye out for a mesh jacket to compliment my Fieldsheer nylon jacket. The Fieldsheer is great with its removable liner and waterproofing, however I would like something lighter and more breathable that is still armored. Anyone have any recommendations? As cheap as possible without sacrificing quality.

-PRB

I've owned 3 Cortech GX Airs. I don't think they make them anymore (Tourmaster's version has nylon impact panels rather than leather), but it's a great jacket with CE armor. It's technically my "touring" jacket, but I wear it almost all the time.

I think they're called the GX Sport Air now.

I use a dainese air frame. Flows enough air for a hot Sydney summer, and comes with a really lightweight wind proof liner that actually works. Nice and understated.

Since I have a dainese gator evo jacket as well, I just swap the back protector between the jackets depending on the weather.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Joe Rocket Resistor that seems to vent quite well while still giving you a snug fit and CE protection where it counts. I also have a UFO 2.0 that would seem to be every bit as well vented as the Resistor, but with a "heavier" build to it. And, in fact, the UFO 2.0 is for sale (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/2750-xxl-joe-rocket-ufo-20-jacket/) if you might happen to be interested.

Both of these Joe Rocket coats have a good fit and feel quite solidly put together.

• Member Contributer

I have this Olympia Nomad and absolutely love it. The liner is a full sleeved liner that is almost like a jacket on its own, not the super lightweight liners like other jackets. On the flip side, with the liner removed and the huge panels opened, this is almost like a full mesh jacket. I've never found a jacket that works as well in all weather conditions like this one does.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-nomad-jacket?gclid=CKnw05mpoL4CFbTm7AodMlAAbw

• Member Contributer

One of my less recent but first new jacket purchases was a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3. It's a true mesh jacket with both a vest liner and outer shell, making it a great multi season jacket. The mesh jacket does a great job of flowing air, so much that I could only wear it when it was extremely hot out, any cooler temps and it was really good for impact protection as there is little to no warmth with it. Although, I could have just as easily put on the outer shell, I didn't like having to carry it around "just in case".

I do have two other textile jackets, a Dainese D-Dry for commuting/touring and wet weather and an Alpinestars textile hi-viz jacket (T-AST) that I bought to match with a pair of Alpinestars textile riding pants. I've only ridden in it on my way home form Cycle Gear where I bought it and it seemed to flow pretty good. That being said, if I'm out carving canyons, I breakout the leathers, vented in the summer and non vented in colder weather.

I have been tempted to sell the JR alter ego, but very time I take it out of the closet thinking I'll take pics and list it up in the classified, I end up putting it back up hoping/waiting for hotter weather?

I have an Xelement jacket that is all mesh, removable liner and back, shoulder and elbow armor. I use it as my Summer jacket, rode through a 100+ ยบ heat wave last year. It rides cool and breezy. They are Very inexpensive, however, the materials (high denier nylon mesh, kevlar thread, 3M reflective trim, Euro spec armor) and build quality is Excellent. I am into my second year with this jacket and Zero defect so far. Leather Up, sells it for $70.00 currently. I have a Joe Rocket for Winter and a Cor-Tech leather perf for the track and the Xelement is every bit as well made and comfortable, fit wise. Check it out...

• 1 month later...

I use the Icon Hooligan Spaztyk jacket in the hot weather. The best hot weather jacket I've ever rode in, high quality mesh with super comfy armor. Almost like a MX jersey with armor and reinforced impact areas. The price is right too, and it can be had in a bunch of colors.

I have been down in Mesh and textiles.

I am using perforated leather.

I have a Technic and an Alpine Star.

Both have almost a million holes.

My comment is that the mesh is OK for a slow get off,

but the asphalt chews through it quickly and the road rash heals slowly.

• Member Contributer

Really happy with Rukka Airway jacket and Rukka Airvision pants. Fits great, very light and lots of air comes through. For rain and cooler weather the liners work as advertised. Wear these 90% of the time now.

• Member Contributer

I have been down in Mesh and textiles.

I am using perforated leather.

I have a Technic and an Alpine Star.

Both have almost a million holes.

My comment is that the mesh is OK for a slow get off,

but the asphalt chews through it quickly and the road rash heals slowly.

I've learned the same lesson and offer the same advice for people who enquire about mesh jackets. I stay plenty cool while riding in my two piece perforated RS Taichi leathers. I do have a mesh jacket for putting around town, but I don't use it on the open road.

I wear a Kevlar mesh Motoport suit. It isn't exactly cheap, but the closest thing to leather without being leather as far as tear strength and abrasion resistance. I think it is the only non-leather material approved by some racing organizations as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I live in Miami, it's not /extremely/ hot here, but it is very humid, almost all summer. Leather would give me heatstroke and I'd pass out and crash if I tried to commute in it. Not even joking, mesh was a safety improvement for me.

Also, Motoport is what I ended up with. It's not cheap, but I've had my jacket three years now and no wear on it. Even survived as a jacket for initial responder to an auto accident. The paramedics complimented me on it (the jacket) when they showed up.

It's not even remotely cheap though, it's about on par with a decent leather jacket, but so is the protection. These guys sell mostly to police departments, so, it sort of looks like it, but it's good gear you can wear a long time that will protect you.

I'm a fan of reading up on stuff, so here are some links to get you started (they are probably some of the same ones that influenced my choice to get their stuff in the first place)

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=15&cid=27&Itemid=15

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

The good (or just google motoport crash report)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10919075

The bad (customer service from a very small company can be spotty if someone is having a bad day, but just keep things simple and slow, also, don't focus too much on the OP)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685652

And the ugly? Not sure how this thread blew up, it's 137 pages now. . .

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80138

• Member Contributer

I was at the D Store last weekend and spotted this mesh jacket. It's basically a mesh shell for armor! It fit well and all of the armor is removable and I imagine the air flow is great, just not sure what would happen on impact. I don't mean to be morbid, just something to think about with mesh jacket products.

post-23057-0-40931000-1403895023.jpg

• 4 months later...

I use a dainese air frame. Flows enough air for a hot Sydney summer, and comes with a really lightweight wind proof liner that actually works. Nice and understated.

Since I have a dainese gator evo jacket as well, I just swap the back protector between the jackets depending on the weather.

I examined this jacket at the D store. It's very well built and there is matching pants.

Yeah I think clearly the answer to "best" is Motoport. Short of that, I kind of like mesh jackets with leather inserts. Joe Rocket makes one, I really like mine. I think it's cooler than riding topless, it's like riding in the shade. The liner is awful, doesn't breathe. I have a Marmot wind-blocker I wear under it for when it's cool or raining. Now, I also have a very well ventilated Rocket textile jacket with vents in the sleeves and large chest vents. That jacket is comfortable up to about 90 degrees and I think it's a tad better protection-wise than my mesh jacket, and you don't need a liner. Sleeve vents make a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

I have an Xelement jacket that is all mesh, removable liner and back, shoulder and elbow armor. I use it as my Summer jacket, rode through a 100+ ยบ heat wave last year. It rides cool and breezy. They are Very inexpensive, however, the materials (high denier nylon mesh, kevlar thread, 3M reflective trim, Euro spec armor) and build quality is Excellent. I am into my second year with this jacket and Zero defect so far. Leather Up, sells it for $70.00 currently. I have a Joe Rocket for Winter and a Cor-Tech leather perf for the track and the Xelement is every bit as well made and comfortable, fit wise. Check it out...

I have looked at XElement. They are so cheap I have been questioning the quality. But you say they are good and hold up well. Good to know.

I have been looking at Kevlar liners. The appeal is it can be worn under anything. I am just not sure what the slide protection is like.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/draggin-shirt/

http://www.dragginjeans.com/draggin-liners/

They also have a Kevlar jean jacket

http://www.dragginjeans.com/mens/draggin-jacket/

Archived