Best Way To Strap My Bike.

mrgsx400e

• Member Contributer

I think I have found my master in posting risky pictures...................... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

i would also try to the bike on the side stand with a cord from the front wheel to the stand keeping it in the down position.

That usually ends up bending the side stand :(

Baxley Sport Chock works for the truck, trailer, setting sag, etc.

• Member Contributer

Wanted to edit my post - if you have the front tire in a chock then ALL the straps should pull forward towards it.

That lady looks like she may have once been a man - sorry.

• Member Contributer

Hey Spiderman. Just sayin, that's a elephant gun to kill a mouse. The front straps are meant to pull down and forward. They do all the work. Each there own.

In a previous job... I've broken the seal on enough shipping containers that have crossed the Atlantic Ocean and then half the United States from the PNCT to know if something can go wrong, it will go wrong. I've seen a $750,000 dollar printing press scrapped by the insurance company when the container was opened. I've been to just enough rigging schools to qualify myself to sign-off on those containers to ship those same pieces of equipment around the world in the insurance company's eyes. I understand that the only force vectors your motorcycle encounters going down the road aren't facing rearward. More importantly, I understand the equation F=ma and the implications that has for a nearly 500lb motorcycle moving at 75 mph 3 feet behind me being held in place by a few pieces of nylon should there be an unfortunate or unexpected incident.

Did you nail the 2x4's to the bed ?

No, the transverse 2x4 are cut to the width of the bed and drop in. The longitudinal 2x4s are screwed to the transverse boards after the motorcycle is situated in the bed and are there to prevent the wheels from shifting laterally.

It is not clear from my photo, but the front wheel of the motorcycle is not touching the front of the bed or the tailgate. All the forces the motorcycle experiences are being transferred through the straps to the bed rails, through the boards to the sides of the bed and through the wheels to the bed itself. I would much prefer an 8' bed so that I could situate the motorcycle directly fore and aft, but for daily life I like the 6' bed. The motorcycle has only been in the back twice.

Excellent job !!!!

• Member Contributer

I hate ratchet straps. Never had a problem with cam straps. I agree with all of above. Using multiple straps and having the side stand down saved my first track day. My friends front rotor sheared through on of my front tie downs. I use four straps up front and 1 long strap that goes from corner to corner on my truck or trailer and takes a wrap around the top of my rear wheel. You don't want that back wheel to move left or right.

Now if you really want a challenge try packing 4 dirt bikes in the back of a pick up truck. It can be done but some foot pegs need to be removed.

Oh! Almost forgot THE most important part. Once you have it secured to your satisfaction you must give it a good shake side to side and say these magic words out loud. "That ain't going no where." My Dad taught me that trick and he used only rope to tie down his triumph desert racer.

• Member Contributer

One note to pay attention to if you have Heli-bars...

(From Heli-bar instruction manual)

attachicon.gifHeli-bar tie down note.png

Thanks for that, Duc2V4. I have my Heli-bar manual around somewhere but I had forgotten that it had anything in it about trailering. I've been following this thread with interest because I'll be moving in a few months and will probably need to trailer the VFR for the first time. I prefer to ride my bikes where I want them to go, but there are some times when it's not practical.

I've had to trailer my DR650 twice--once on a long cross-country haul when it wouldn't have made sense to ride then go back for the car. Being a dual sport, the DR is relatively easy to transport. The handlebars are steel and there are plenty of places at the rear of the bike to tie straps. What I've used before is a U-Haul motorcycle trailer like this one:

MotorcycleTrailerLarge.png

I think they rent for about $14/day. There's a built-in wheel chock, tie-down points, and a wide, low ramp. The DR, at about 330 lbs dry, is easy to roll up the ramp and strap in using four ratchet straps. I'm surprised that people are recommending leaving the sidestand down. I was told specifically not to do that. With the DR, it's two straps up front pulling down and forward to hold the wheel in the chock and two on each side at the rear doing basically the same thing. Ratchet down hard enough to partially compress the suspension. The bike seems very secure and, even though the trailer has some suspension of its own, you can see the bike's suspension working when going over bumps. I would think the sidestand would interfere with that--or at least make a heck of a racket banging on the trailer floor.

I was planning to use the same technique if I end up trailering the VFR, but I'm worried about the extra 170 pounds loading and unloading--and all the expensive bodywork should something go wrong. Thanks to mrgsx400e too for the photo, I was having trouble envisioning how I would hook up to the triple clamp without rubbing the Tupperware. Maybe I'll add a couple more straps after seeing Lee 2002's spiderman technique ... better safe than sorry. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I use my pickup or trailer to move bikes. I pretty much use the same technique regardless and have been for over ten years. I roll the bike into a chock and then tie down the bike with 4 points. On the front I use a Canyon Dancer (Version 1 or 2) and then add two more points on the rear. I leave the bike in neutral and do not use the kickstand. When I carry my Wing on the trailer I use 6 tie downs just because.................

med_gallery_2144_5984_211724.jpg

This was my first time as well. I used a little bit of the info from a few of the different replies that I got, and made it work for my bike and trailer. There was no wheel choke, but the way it was strapped down it did not move a mm. Thank you for your help fellow riders.

Archived